PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long to keep leftover chinese takeaway?

Options
As in the title, how long would you keep it before throwing?

Obviously I don't mean rice, which I avoid keeping as it has that horrible bacteria that isn't killed by heating. But we have some chicken chow mein and sweet and sour from Saturday evening. Won't get eaten today now, but would it be ok for tommorrow lunch?

Has been stored in the fridge all through.

Ali x
"Overthinking every little thing
Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Comments

• sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2013 at 7:14PM
    Options
    I don't, anything left I chuck ASAP. I hate the smell of takeaway as soon as I've finished eating it lol

The only thing I'd keep is pizza and even then, if its not re heated and even within a few hrs its binned!
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I go by the rule freshly cooked food has 3 days in the fridge then you should chuck it. So you should be OK to eat it Saturday night to Tuesday is the 3rd day - I would definitely heat it thoroughly and sniff test before eating, though.

You're right about the rice too. That can be very nasty.
  • cookie_monster
    cookie_monster Posts: 2,116 Forumite
    Options
    2 days for me, if anything cooked is not eaten in 2 days it goes in the bin.
    I hate migraines.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would bin. Chances are its already been reheated by the takeaway so wouldn't be safe to reheat. Usually its only pizza that are made fresh and ok to reheat.
  • heavenleigh
    heavenleigh Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    I have been known on the odd occasion to buy chinese takeaway after a night out, have a couple of spoonfuls, wake up the next day with full cartons on the floor and rice stuck in the rug (even once turned up to A&E 12 hours after falling over with rice stuck to my back....broke my wrist in 4 places by the way)
    Not condoning any of it, but have never poisioned myself or others yet. My limit is around 3 days including rice
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    I've been known to have leftover Chinese for breakfast for two days following the initial meal :o:D (I make sure that I cool the food quickly and keep it at the back of the fridge, then microwave it until it's sizzling hot. I know that this wouldn't kill the bacillus spores as it's probably not hot enough BUT this is how I've been eating Chinese food for almost thirty years and I've never had a dodgy experience yet.)

It seems that if the food is cooled and chilled within an hour of being cooked (how far away from the takeaway do you live?) and reheated to a high- enough temperature you should be fine for a couple of days.

In your case, I'm not sure. I'd have already eaten it yesterday or today :p but would be more careful with that extra day, I think. A really good sniff and a fallback plan are key here, I reckon!
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    I have been known on the odd occasion to buy chinese takeaway after a night out, have a couple of spoonfuls, wake up the next day with full cartons on the floor and rice stuck in the rug (even once turned up to A&E 12 hours after falling over with rice stuck to my back....broke my wrist in 4 places by the way)
    Not condoning any of it, but have never poisioned myself or others yet. My limit is around 3 days including rice

:rotfl: :rotfl: A friend of mine woke up after a night out wondering what on earth had happened to her hair and what was that awful smell? She'd fallen asleep into her half- eaten kebab :D :rotfl:
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • heavenleigh
    heavenleigh Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: A friend of mine woke up after a night out wondering what on earth had happened to her hair and what was that awful smell? She'd fallen asleep into her half- eaten kebab :D :rotfl:
    Believe me, you haven't lived if you haven't woken up with crusted takeaway food attached to you somewhere...I have 4 well adjusted, well spoken, well mannered and high achieving children.....the number of times i've woken up like that????? best left unsaid! The wrist broken in 4 places was probably the best one though!xx :rotfl:
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The takeaway is about 15 mins by car and isn't just a takeaway its a lovely sit down restaurant. If you don't order over the phone you have to wait for your food as its cooked fresh each time-they always apologise for this which seems odd to me-of course I am happy to wait for fresh food as opposed to saving 10 mins and have reheated lol.

Its a family run place that has been their for years-I went there as a teen with the parents and OH and I had our first anniversary there (I am 41 and we have been married 16 years this year lol). So I am confident it was lovely and fresh on the saturday.

May give it a shot. Will let you know if I survive lol.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    If I know I cant eat any takeaway leftovers the next day I always freeze them - then ding them to death! done this for years and not had any ill effects. I wont leave them in fridge the usual two to three days as I would with home cooked foods.
    I quite like a reheated special chow mien or curry (but make fresh rice or chips)...............my OH thinks I am strange!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure