Are Contactless cards secure?

I was looking for more info on contactless cards, but can't seem to find anything that answers my questions!

What security measures are there with contactless cards, because my understanding is you don't need to enter your pin? Is there a maximum spend when using contactless?

Comments

• reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    smub99 wrote: »
    I was looking for more info on contactless cards, but can't seem to find anything that answers my questions!

What security measures are there with contactless cards, because my understanding is you don't need to enter your pin? Is there a maximum spend when using contactless?

Maximum spend is £20. The card also has a maximum amount of contactless transactions that can be done without a PIN (Normally a couple of times). So someone couldn't really take much if your card is stolen. You also have zero liability so if someone did use it, you wouldn't have to pay for it, the bank would pay for any fraud.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've got 1 with Barclay's and nothing untoward bass happened yet.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ye gods, another thread on this!
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The card also has a maximum amount of contactless transactions that can be done without a PIN (Normally a couple of times).

Not true. Used my CapOne card more than a dozen times now and it has never asked me for my PIN, not even the first time I used it.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • reclusive46
    simax wrote: »
    Not true. Used my CapOne card more than a dozen times now and it has never asked me for my PIN, not even the first time I used it.

Yes but you must have done a chip and pin transaction in-between that has reset the counter.

Also some issuers like Amex, don't have a cap on the transactions that cap the maximum amount that contactless transactions can add up to before a chip and pin transaction is needed.
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    and some reset on a daily basis, so if you do 3 one day and three another its fine, but 5 in one day would ask for you PIN, as would if you exceeded some other limit such as spending limit before doing a CNP.

(theory being that you'll notice your card has gone walkies within 24 hours of it going missing I guess)

So chances are a theif may be able to get £50 - £100 maybe at most through multiple transactions, but the bank will just refund that if it ever happened.

I doubt most people will attempt to steal your card to buy a free sandwich, coffee or McDs though. Too much effort for too little gain.
  • simax
    Yes but you must have done a chip and pin transaction in-between that has reset the counter.

Nope. Have only used it for contactless for months. It's the only card of this type I have and is purely used now for these type of transactions (because I have better cards for other purposes)
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• reclusive46
    simax wrote: »
    Nope. Have only used it for contactless for months. It's the only card of this type I have and is purely used now for these type of transactions (because I have better cards for other purposes)

Capital one have a big spend limit then.

Does it ever say authorising when you do the transaction or does it just go straight to approved?
  • simax
    Straight to approved. Never seen it pre-auth a transaction when using contactless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure