Anyone had a new kitchen fitted?

I know this is a how long is a piece of string. We are considering getting a new work top in our kitchen and a new hob and sink. Units are 12 years old and is a Symphony kitchen, it was an upgraded one from what was supposed to be fitted in our house. I think 18mm cabinets rather than 15mm and hinges that went all the way back - a bit vague I know but also included down lighters etc

I still like the kitchen but at the time chose the addition of a wooden edging to the worktops and this is what is looking a bit tired.

We are getting John Lewis in to quote as they will project manage everything, we may have to have electrical work done as going from gas hob to induction and may not have a big enough fuse set up.

We are looking at having Corian worktops and have already been quoted approx £3800 just for the worktops and sink with them. Just considering whether if the price rises much more whether it would be better to go for a complete new kitchen.

We have 10 base level cupboards, 8 eye level and one pan drawer plus various display shelving (which I hate with a passion) plus extra in the untility. If we went for a new kitchen this would probably mean re-tiling kitchen floor (currently ceramic tiles which cost us about £1800 12 years ago).

Just wondering what ball park figures people have paid for their new kitchens, especially interested to hear for people who have John Lewis fit their kitchens.
£2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz

Comments

• Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Not that I know much, but that sounds expensive, although you do not give the size of the kitchen/worktops so it is impossible for anyone to know. John Lewis will I assume subcontract out the work, and add on a hefty markup, maybe 50% of the total cost. You can get quartz worktops fitted in a C shape kitchen in a 3.5m by 3m room for ~£2,500. Corian costs about the same.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • gavinh1175
    gavinh1175 Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2013 at 1:21PM
    I have just received a quote for Silestone Quartz.

About 6.5 metres, including installation = £3,265.00

Obtaining a quote for Diresco Quartz too.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    I have Silestone, and I think it is the most expensive of the quartz brands, although they are all made on the same machinery, and I think they are pretty much the same.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you identify where you are based, somebody may be ablest recommend an installer.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    gavinh1175 wrote: »
    I have just received a quote for Silestone Quartz.

About 6.5 metres, including installation = £3,265.00

Obtaining a quote for Diresco Quartz too.

Just be careful with quotes especially those via the web.

It is possible the web based "middle men" will contract out the template and fitting to anyone who is cheap...regardless of their ability...or inability!

You may find you can communicate with these operatives...or you may find a fluency in another language to be beneficial.

Personally, I would not recommend Silestone to my worst enemy...Nor some of their accredited fabricators and installers.

Words of wisdom from someone who has been there in the past... and is currently going through this with another case. (Hopefully, this will not get to Court...but, to be frank, it should never have to come to this)
  • gavinh1175
    gavinh1175 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Furts wrote: »
    Just be careful with quotes especially those via the web.

It is possible the web based "middle men" will contract out the template and fitting to anyone who is cheap...regardless of their ability...or inability!

You may find you can communicate with these operatives...or you may find a fluency in another language to be beneficial.

Personally, I would not recommend Silestone to my worst enemy...Nor some of their accredited fabricators and installers.

Words of wisdom from someone who has been there in the past... and is currently going through this with another case. (Hopefully, this will not get to Court...but, to be frank, it should never have to come to this)

Thanks for the advice - quote is from an independant kitchen retailer. Price includes template. But yes, they do contract the works out to local tradesman.

The quote for Diresco is from another independant kitchen retailer. But the owner does the fittings, nothing is contracted out.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    kazd wrote: »
    I know this is a how long is a piece of string. I think 18mm cabinets rather than 15mm and hinges that went all the way back -

Just don't get hung up on that, the vertical load capability of both would almost support your upper floor, let alone a worktop or two and the wifes cooking:D:D
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Just been quoted £10k by John Lewis just for a worktop and sink. The quote was for Corian.:eek:
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    .............by John Lewis............
    Well what did you expect?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Just been quoted £10k by John Lewis just for a worktop and sink. The quote was for Corian.:eek:

This seems at odds with OP when you said £3800? Or have I overlooked something?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure