warning re: sky go extra "trial"

Options
Sky go extra is free to sky customers for 2 months, be warned. they want 31 days notice or they will charge (so if you cancel on the last day of the "trial", they will charge you £5 for the final month). This grates on me, as I took the "trial" to mean a time to test, try and assess. so I had 2 months in which to decide it was for me.

This however was not the case, fortunately I realised early on that it wasn't for me, and I had the foresight to cancel after just a month. however I am concerned that others may fall into this trap. So I thought I would raise my concerns and hope to help anyone else out there.
www.
sky.com/SkyGoExtra/remove

here is the link to cancel.:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nothing new here, it was the same for the recent HD and ESPN half price offers. Sky always wants cancellation notices a month in advance in these circumstances (in the hope customers will forget or simply neglect to cancel no doubt)
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Which is why the trial is 2 months when most are for a single month.

Not that I necessarily agree with it!
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    It is clear when you sign up that you need to give notice, I don't see the grumble here?
  • babs1952
    Options
    There was no sign up with this - I just received a letter with info saying that I had been given a 2 month free trial. If people do not read all the small print it is easy to be left with a service that costs you £5pm and you don't even use it.
    I phoned Sky to cancel straight away as I did not want the service but was told I could not give 2 months notice but had to call back 31 days before it ended!
    I ended up doing this but also complained that I thought they were being very devious in the way the service was offered. I would imagine that a lot of people would just think that it was junk mail not a notice telling them that they had been signed up without requesting the service.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    babs1952 - are you sure that you actually have Sky Go Extra? I had the same mailshot - but there is no sign of an Extra trial underway in My Account. If they were signing everyone up who has installed Sky Go there would have been a huge reaction on here and other forums; have you got Sky b/band perchance??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    If they were signing everyone up who has installed Sky Go there would have been a huge reaction on here and other forums; have you got Sky b/band perchance??
    I have the mailshot here in front of me and it does appear to be Sky giving it free to everyone.
    BUT, buried in the text are these important sentences "Just update the Sky Go app on your device or go to sky.com/go. You'll see the new download feature there waiting for you"

So, only those who updated the app will have been signed up for the Sky Go Extra free trial.

As you say, there would have been uproar if Sky had given everyone a free trial and then demanded a month's notice of cancellation even from those who never used it.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    babs1952 wrote: »
    There was no sign up with this - I just received a letter with info saying that I had been given a 2 month free trial. If people do not read all the small print it is easy to be left with a service that costs you £5pm and you don't even use it.
    I phoned Sky to cancel straight away as I did not want the service but was told I could not give 2 months notice but had to call back 31 days before it ended!
    I ended up doing this but also complained that I thought they were being very devious in the way the service was offered. I would imagine that a lot of people would just think that it was junk mail not a notice telling them that they had been signed up without requesting the service.

You still have to sign up to extra and agree to the t&c's within the app. When you go into the download section a huge banner appears telling you that you do not have sky go extra and would you like to continue.

How did you miss that?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have the mailshot here in front of me and it does appear to be Sky giving it free to everyone.
    BUT, buried in the text are these important sentences "Just update the Sky Go app on your device or go to sky.com/go. You'll see the new download feature there waiting for you"

So, only those who updated the app will have been signed up for the Sky Go Extra free trial.

As you say, there would have been uproar if Sky had given everyone a free trial and then demanded a month's notice of cancellation even from those who never used it.

Everyone that uses the app for Sky Go would have to have updated it. The updating of the app itself does not initiate the free trial. The user still has to activate the new service by calling Sky or going on line.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Walcott wrote: »
    The updating of the app itself does not initiate the free trial. The user still has to activate the new service by calling Sky or going on line.
    The point is that no one was automatically given a free trial that they had to give a month's notice to end. Anyone who did nothing had no free trial in the first place, only the offer of one.
    The action of updating the app directs the user to activate the new service (if they desire) with the free trial included.
  • FrogMan
    Options
    In the T&C it says...
    Except where you are exercising a right to cancel set out in the ?Your rights to cancel...?
    section of this booklet, you must give us at least 31 days? notice to cancel a Sky Go Extra
    subscription and this notice must be given by phone (UK - 08442 414414/ROI - 0818 719829
    or by writing to us (Sky Subscriber Services Limited, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54
    7DD), and cannot be given by any other means. Your cancellation will be effective at the end of
    the notice period unless:
    4.1 we have given notice in accordance with clause 12.1 of Part 1 of this Contract in which case
    you can cancel by giving us 7 days? notice ending no later than 31 days? from the date of the
    notice referred to in that clause; or
    4.2 you have given notice in accordance with clause 12.4 of Part 1 of this Contract in which
    case your cancellation will be effective at the end of the 7 day notice period referred to in that
    clause

full details at go.sky.com/vod/content/Home/Application_Navigation/Help/Terms_And_Conditions/content/default/termsPage.do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure