Roman Shower enclosures - Any good or am I expecting too much?

Options
I had a quad shower installed last year. I wanted to buy British, so I chose a Roman. Around £800 plus fitting.

I have been underwhelmed since it was installed. The silver discs covering the rollers fell off and went down the waste. Roman's response was "they all do that, we will send some replacements. Try a little dab of silicone to hold them in. but not too much or you will never get to the rollers again." These were lost in the post or never sent, but I got there in the end.

The caps on the wall rails fell off when cleaning. Again, Roman said "they all do that. We will send some replacements. Whilst, we do not state it, they should be siliconed into place."

Then there is the door seals. The overlap and magnetic seal are woeful. the shower leaks. I contacted Roman...The replacement seals are as bad as the previous ones. The shower still leaks.

Then there are the handles. They are loose.The grub screws and seals are poor. Roman have sent new handles....

The shower also leaks at the wall rails. Roman say this is an installation issue. However, the cover strips are flimsy, and do not fit the wall rails.

I am now told my Roman has been dis-continued... and I should consider upgrading to a new one with a "frameless" design! But the door seals on this are identical to mine, and the glass is so rattly I shudder at the prospect.

What Roman appear to be saying to me is "all our components are faulty - we know that". "Your shower has lasted 10 months, we consider that a good life. Would you please buy a new Roman replacement.But this will be no better than the one you have. In fact, it may be worse!"

Obviously I have to bring this to a satisfactory conclusion, for me, not Roman! Pending that, what do other mse forum members think of Roman showers? Or am I expecting too much?

Comments

• Kins
    Kins Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I am being a bit naughty and bumping this up.

I am guessing nobody else has any experience of Roman Shower enclosures - be they good or bad?

It would be great to know.

So thank you in advance!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry meant to answer yesterday then forgot! :o

No I don't think you are expecting too much with an £800 product.

The cavalier and don't give a s..t attitude from the staff is inexcusible whatever the company irrespective of other peoples experiences.

Write a letter to the main man/woman headed Complaint. Don't be emotional in it, be clear and succinct rather than a diatribe. keep it to a single page of A4, send signed4 mail and give him/her a defined period in which to respond. Telephone and email are useless in this scenario it needs to be written.

HTH

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Last year I spent ages, and I mean ages looking around for a replacement shower cubicle. The shower I had was like a fully tiled box and I wanted to upgrade to a nice glass and chrome one. I have to say that out of all the ones I saw I felt the Roman ones came up tops. I was generally unimpressed by the "plastic" chrome and visible seals - I was hoping for clear etc., The Roman ones I felt were a notch above but so expensive. I was so fed up with what I saw, all the ones I really loved would not have fitted in with a basin and loo so I put a BATH back in with Mira shower/pump fitment and bought a Croydex "chrome" curtain rail that keeps the curtain off you (£60)...............and it really does. Everything now seems just so cheap and not built to last. When the curtain rail arrived the box was so light I thought it was empty, but no, it was in there - light as a feather but it does look good. I am pleased I did not buy a Roman shower cubicle now I have read your post.
    SallyD
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    Conversely !.................I had a Roman shower cubicle in my last house (just moved) and found it to be superb.

I had a Roman cubicle/tray, Mermaid shower panels and Matki mixer/head.
    It took a fair bit of effort to install, but well worth the effort. The only "problem" area was the magnetic seal on the (curved) heavy glass door. Very fiddly and time consuming, but once done - no problem since.
    I would certainly get another one - not cheap, but worth it.
  • Kins
    Kins Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2013 at 3:00PM
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    I have now spoken to Roman Showers - but wanted feedback first.

They said a technician's visit is charged at £65, but with the history of mine they would waive this.

I am awaiting a call and will keep everyone posted if things go pear shaped. Fingers crossed they will not!
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Kins wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.
    I have now spoken to Roman Showers - but wanted feedback first.

They said a technician's visit is charged at £65, but with the history of mine they would waive this.

I am awaiting a call and will keep everyone posted if things go pear shaped. Fingers crossed they will not!

If they still aren't helpful after the visit then perhaps you could mention that you have started a thread on MSE which is likely to come up whenever anyone googles Roman Showers so it is in their interests to ensure you are happy.
  • keystone
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    If they still aren't helpful after the visit then perhaps you could mention that you have started a thread on MSE which is likely to come up whenever anyone googles Roman Showers so it is in their interests to ensure you are happy.
    Not sure if that would amount to bribery or coercion. Whichever - you are on the hook for incitement! :D:D:D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Not sure if that would amount to bribery or coercion. Whichever - you are on the hook for incitement! :D:D:D

Cheers

I would call it being helpful. I think it would be more unfair not to tell them.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quite a few of your problems seem to be from poor installation . The caps could have been under/over tight, the doors could be out of line making the magnetic strips not sealing correctly.
  • keystone
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    I would call it being helpful.
    So the :D:D:D didn't indicate anything to you then?

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure