MSE News: Budget 2013: Personal tax allowance

Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
edited 20 March 2013 at 2:34PM in Cutting tax
"Many workers will pay less in tax from next year but we await full details for higher earners..."
Read the full story:

Budget 2013: Personal tax allowance

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How much extra are the lower paid paying in VAT?

Is it a real win?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • kezbabybabe
    kezbabybabe Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    This news does make me happy. More of my earnings coming my way to help me with my future. :)
  • Yay! :) at least some good news with tax free allowances going up! £10,400 is the next goal IMO giving everyone the right to earn £200 a week tax free :)
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 March 2013 at 11:15PM
    As neither MSE nor the BBC seem to be saying what happens to basic/higher rate income tax payers yet I have dived into the budget document and retrieved it for you.
    2.34 Income tax: personal allowance in 2014-15 – The Government will increase the
    income tax personal allowance to £10,000 in 2014-15. The basic rate limit will decrease to
    £31,865 in line with the Autumn Statement 2012 decision to increase the higher rate threshold
    by 1 per cent to £41,865. (Finance Bill 2014) (41) The personal allowance will then be increased
    by CPI from 2015-16.

EDIT: I see the MSE article has been updated with the figures now
  • Ximian
    Ximian Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some additional info:

Personal tax and welfare
    Income tax and National Insurance contributions

2.33 Income tax: personal allowance in 2013-14
    – As announced at Autumn Statement
    2012, from April 2013 the income tax personal allowance will be increased to £9,440. The basic rate limit will be £32,010. The higher rate threshold will be £41,450 in 2013-14. The National
    Insurance upper earnings/profits limit will also be reduced to align it with the higher rate threshold. (Finance Bill 2013) (g)

2.34 Income tax: personal allowance in 2014-15
    – The Government will increase the
    income tax personal allowance to £10,000 in 2014-15. The basic rate limit will decrease to £31,865 in line with the Autumn Statement 2012 decision to increase the higher rate threshold by 1 per cent to £41,865. (Finance Bill 2014) (41) The personal allowance will then be increased
    by CPI from 2015-16.

2.35 Income tax rates
    – The basic and higher rates of income tax for 2013-14 will remain at
    their 2012-13 levels. As announced at Budget 2012 and legislated for in Finance Act 2012, the additional rate of income tax will be reduced from 50 per cent to 45 per cent from 2013-14.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Will the HMRC's computer system be able to cope with a 5-digit tax code of 1000L? If not, they only have a year to fix it.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Steve059 wrote: »
    Will the HMRC's computer system be able to cope with a 5-digit tax code of 1000L? If not, they only have a year to fix it.
    There must already be people on such a tax code - e.g. those who have overpaid in recent years. I would have thought.
  • Anarchist
    Anarchist Posts: 279 Forumite
    Great.

Just when I thought there would be some chance that there would actually be a budget policy that benefits me, a regular, average, single, skilled worker, it turns out there isnt.

The reduction has pushed my earnings over the basic tax threshold. I'm now a higher rate tax payer, and have benefitted in no way whatsoever.
  • waiax73
    waiax73 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Cool! :) A little income bump beginning next month:)
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anarchist wrote: »
    Great.

Just when I thought there would be some chance that there would actually be a budget policy that benefits me, a regular, average, single, skilled worker, it turns out there isnt.

The reduction has pushed my earnings over the basic tax threshold. I'm now a higher rate tax payer, and have benefitted in no way whatsoever.

Will you pass less tax on the first part of your wages though?
    52% tight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport