MSE News: Morrisons to launch online store... but only next year

"Supermarket Morrisons will finally join rivals in opening an online store, but customers will have to wait till 2014..."
Read the full story:

Morrisons to launch online store... but only next year

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Personally this far too late.
    they are years behind the competition
  • mystic_trevmystic_trev Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    drspock84 wrote: »
    Personally this far too late.
    they are years behind the competition

I disagree. At the moment Supermarkets lose around £5 on each delivery. It's not the money spinner many people think it is. Where Morrisons seem to have 'lost out' is by not opening smaller shops such as Tesco Express.
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree. At the moment Supermarkets lose around £5 on each delivery. It's not the money spinner many people think it is.

That's the question. No one is quite certain about whether or not supermarkets are making much, if anything, on online sales. Ocado has yet to make much of a profit, after all.

The interesting bit from the MSE report is:

Morrisons has also confirmed it is in talks with online supermarket Ocado, to share its warehouse space and online expertise, which will aid any internet push.

I've said before that it would be logical for Morrisons to buy Ocado.
    Where Morrisons seem to have 'lost out' is by not opening smaller shops such as Tesco Express.

Hence why Morrisons has been buying up all those redundant Blockbuster whatever outlets.
  • maxtweeniemaxtweenie Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Morrison's are only able to even think about opening their online store next year because they bought Kiddicare. They only bought Kiddicare in the first place to get an internet presence otherwise they would have had to start from scratch.
  • loracan1loracan1 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where Morrisons seem to have 'lost out' is by not opening smaller shops such as Tesco Express.
    antrobus wrote: »

Hence why Morrisons has been buying up all those redundant Blockbuster whatever outlets.

Aiming to have 100 or so M-local stores up and running before end of year.
  • Great News. Morrisons is the best of the cheap supermarkets. Good food, much sourced locally, and all fresh meat British. Friendly staff and cheap fuel.
  • thelawnetthelawnet Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrisons is a very good supermarket, I'm only disappointed that my shares I bought in them haven't made me anything!
  • Steve059Steve059 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough. So, I won't be able to find out that they're cheapest for something I need, and then buy it from them, until 2014.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last year The Grocer had an article saying that Morrisons would launch this year. In 2012 also, the boss was interviewed on BBC and said it would happen this year, so obviously there have been problems.

Ocado will make a profit, it's only a matter of time. They are streets ahead in terms of technology - you can watch videos on YouTube which show how the largely automated warehouses work.

I agree that Morrisons is missing out, not having small local stores. But personally I think Morrisons would really have to up their game to compete with even ASDA online.

I was in a store on Saturday and the fish really stunk, I could smell it metres away. Not the only store I've smelt the fish that strong either. I've bought fish that wasn't reduced yet was off the next day.

Also, found frozen langoustines that had defrosted and refrozen in the freezers. When I told the supervisor she looked at me blankly so I had to explain that seafood which has defrosted and refrozen is a food poisoning risk.

I use Morries occasionally but wouldn't use online unless for pre-packed non-perishables if I got some delivery offers ;)
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edwardia wrote: »
    ...Ocado will make a profit, it's only a matter of time....

Yes, but time is money, and the real question is whether they will make enough money in enough time to justify the initial investment. There are people who make a living out of this sort of thing, who believe that Ocado is a pig in a poke. That guy at Panmure Gordon for one.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion