aol GOLD

Options
I have just become aware that my internet provider(aol) is charging me £24.99 per month for a service that does not now exsist. New users can buy aol-silver(2mgbs) for £14.99 and aol-platinum (8mgbs) for £29.99. I have just looked at my conection speed and its only 1mgb. This means I am paying £10 more per month than anyone on silver for half the speed. I am going to contact them to complain but was just wondering how long this has been going on ie; when did aol gold disappear and when did silver go up to 2mgbs.
Do I have a right to demand some money back and if so how many months worth?

Comments

• JonnyThunder
    JonnyThunder Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes, this DOES work. A friend of mine is with AOL. He was paying £29.95 / month for "up to 8mb" connection. I got in touch with them on his behalf and requested the MAC code straight away. They instantly put you through to some sales person who you can haggle with. I only got his price down to £24.99 for the rest of the term, but also got ANOTHER wireless router thrown into the deal!

AOL are really bad for ripping people off until they question it!
    Throwing acid is bad.... in some peoples eyes...
  • patheywood
    Options
    hi
    i have every sympathy as the same happened to me - see my post on this forum 1st may
    if you phone cancellations they have the power to give you free router but visitor services cannot - both departments will offer up to 3 months free if you are a bit persistant
    best of luck
    :A patricia
  • cdafonseca
    cdafonseca Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, this DOES work. A friend of mine is with AOL. He was paying £29.95 / month for "up to 8mb" connection. I got in touch with them on his behalf and requested the MAC code straight away. They instantly put you through to some sales person who you can haggle with. I only got his price down to £24.99 for the rest of the term, but also got ANOTHER wireless router thrown into the deal!

AOL are really bad for ripping people off until they question it!

in my case i'm with aol for about three years on aol gold pack so after this post i diceded to have a go so i contact them and said that my friend had a better deal than me, so they offer me a new deal of £14.99 a month at the same speed wich i had before 8mgs, but i have to stay for 18 months contract.

thanks a lot for this post as i will be saving £10 a month thats £120 a year

i am sorry if i made to many mistakes in my writing as english is not my first language:A
    I am sorry if I made too many mistakes in my writing as English is not my first language:A
  • nippy_2
    nippy_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar issue. I was on aol silver paying 17.99 a month. It was being advertised at 14.99 a month. I looked into other internet providers and found that as a sky subscriber, I could get broadband for free. I phoned aol armed with this information and told them I was considering switching to sky broadband as it was a large saving ie. 17.99 to 0.00 but asked if they could offer me a cheaper rate before I went ahead, as up until now, I had always been happy with their service.It took a couple of days and a couple of phone calls but they offered me the 8mb faster broadband and swapped me to a 9.99 tariff. So I've saved 8.00 a month and got faster broadband. I am locked in for 18 months though. Also as part of the package, I get free evening and weekend calls with aol talk ( normally 3.99 a month ) free for the first 12 months. For the daytime calls, I am going to subscribe to one of the override telephone numbers, but they don't accept aol email addresses when signing up, so I am going to have to get another email address. This is a bit long winded but I hope it makes sense and I hope it helps somebody get a better deal.
  • thedog
    thedog Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I pay £17.99 a mth for AOL GOLD 8MB. Gold is no longer available to customers, but as a retension package, they have 8mb for £17.99 + free aol talk which i demanded i didnt want so they took that off. I also got a wireless router. This was a few mths back though.
  • mrs_scrooge
    mrs_scrooge Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just become aware of this too. Am paying £24.99. Tested the speed today and it's just under 2MB. Can't even network AOL either as I have cable broadband (need BT phone line):mad: .

Thinking of switching to the virgin media bundle (TV,phone and BB for £30/month).
  • mrs_scrooge
    Options
    tam_60 wrote: »

As I thought, I'm being ripped off. For years I've thought that the advertised prices were fixed, how wrong I was. I'm a very longstanding AOL customer but I'll soon be gone! Its just like savings.............loyalty to one provider is not rewarded.
  • dhan
    dhan Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    nippy wrote: »
    I had a similar issue. I was on aol silver paying 17.99 a month. It was being advertised at 14.99 a month. I looked into other internet providers and found that as a sky subscriber, I could get broadband for free. I phoned aol armed with this information and told them I was considering switching to sky broadband as it was a large saving ie. 17.99 to 0.00 but asked if they could offer me a cheaper rate before I went ahead, as up until now, I had always been happy with their service.It took a couple of days and a couple of phone calls but they offered me the 8mb faster broadband and swapped me to a 9.99 tariff. So I've saved 8.00 a month and got faster broadband. I am locked in for 18 months though. Also as part of the package, I get free evening and weekend calls with aol talk ( normally 3.99 a month ) free for the first 12 months. For the daytime calls, I am going to subscribe to one of the override telephone numbers, but they don't accept aol email addresses when signing up, so I am going to have to get another email address. This is a bit long winded but I hope it makes sense and I hope it helps somebody get a better deal.

I have just got this exact package without even asking for it when I asked for MAC code........ £9.99 for upto 8mbs with unlimited download with a router for £25 but free first month on a 18 months contract.Free weekend and evening calls.( I am on the primus free evening and weekends call at the moment)I have been on the £9.99 silver package for about a year I have never had any problem with speed or service from AOL and hope it stays like this.
    Great Package I think!!
    Berba
  • mrs_scrooge
    Options
    I phoned AOL to ask about the cancellation procedure (subscription etc). The very helpful lady didn't even ask why I am going to cancel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure