IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Blah_blah
    Options
    Won my case against MET! In fact they didn't offer any evidence, but thanks to the people on here I think I had a good case even if they had - gpeol, poor signage, asked them to produce their contract and others. They probably decided it wasn't worth the effort if I was going to win anyway on gpeol.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.
  • trisontana
    Options
    This from a FB page which has started a campaign against PE. Yet another GPOL loss for them:-

Another success against Parking Eye.
    In July this year I parked in the Fistral Beach car park in Newquay. Shortly after I got home I received a parking charge notice for £100 from Parking Eye. I appealed to PE on 2 grounds - that the charge was not a genuine pre estimate of loss and that I was with the grace period of 20 minutes shown on the signage. PE rejected my appeal saying that I had only made generic points!
    POPLA have now allowed my appeal saying, " The Appellant made a number of submissions, however, I will only elaborate on the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on, namely that the parking charge amount is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss." The assessors decision goes on to say, "The Operator has produced a breakdown of costs that they incur in managing the car park, however, this is a general list of operational costs and does not address the loss that was caused by the Appellant’s breach of the terms and conditions of parking."
  • 4consumerrights
    Options
    It's not been a very good day for Parking Eye - another loss for them.

Tadine's thread - v Parking Eye appeal allowed again no GPEOL

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64131389&posted=1#post64131389
  • AoD
    AoD Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Just had the first POPLA result in from one of the neighbours I am helping. It was against PCM and the appeal was based on the usual no GPEOL, no valid contract (it was their own parking space) and an invalid rejection letter.

And the winner this time was... unfortunately we never got a chance to find out as PCM cancelled the charge after the POPLA appeal was submitted!!
  • Tyke1601
    Options
    Here is the decision and reasoning from POPLA:

[redacted] (Appellant)
    -v-
    ParkingEye Ltd (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number [redacted] arising out of the presence at The Rishworth Retail Park in Dewsbury, on [redacted], of a vehicle with registration mark [redacted].

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

The Operator issued parking chare notice [redacted] arising out of the presence at Rishworth Retail Park on [date readacted] of a vehicle with registration mark [redacted] for remaining at the car park for longer than authorised.

It is the Operator’s case that the Appellant’s vehicle remained at the car park for longer than authorised and this was a breach of the terms and conditions of parking as set out on signage at the site.

The Appellant has made a number of submissions, however, I will only elaborate on the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on, namely that the parking charge amount is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

The signage produced by the Operator states that a failure to comply with the terms and conditions will lead to a charge of £100 being issued. This wording seems to indicate that the charge represents damages for a breach of the parking contract and therefore the charge must be a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

As the Appellant has raised the issue of the charge not being a genuine pre-estimate of loss, the onus is on the Operator to prove that it is. The Operator has produced a breakdown of costs that they incur in managing the car park, however, this is a general list of operational costs and does not address the loss that was caused by the Appellant’s breach of the terms and conditions of parking.

The Operator has stated that there is a commercial justification for the parking charge and they have listed general business costs, however, this does not amount to commercial justification.

I have looked at all the evidence and have decided to allow this appeal on the basis that the Operator has failed to prove that the parking charge amount was a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Accordingly, the appeal is allowed.

Nozir Uddin
    Assessor

Parking Charge Notices are turning out to be the new PPI, when will these companies learn and when are the authorities going to shut them down. Every single penalty paid by the unsuspecting public should be returned in full with interst.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Is that 6 losses for Parking Eye today ? What a lovely day for common sense lol
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Stroma wrote: »
    Is that 6 losses for Parking Eye today ? What a lovely day for common sense lol

Must be not far from 100-Nil. Who's going to be number 100?

You'd have thought a fully trained, fully qualified, professional solicitor would be able to outsmart a bunch of ramshackle keyboard warriors!

I wonder who did the interview? :D. Could Capita be looking closely at this performance? Is Jobseekers' Allowance still available?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • trisontana
    Options
    I have said it before on here. Now that PE have been told time-after-time by both POPLA adjudicators and a judge that their GPOL sums just don't add up, then why are they still trying to con money off people using the same argument. Doesn't that amount to demanding money under false pretenses?
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=86412

VCS lose at liverpool airport on gpeol

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXXX arising
    out of the presence at John Lennon Airport, on XX July 2013, of a
    vehicle with registration mark XXXXXX.
    The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has
    determined that the appeal be allowed.
    The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.
    The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    On XX July 2013, the Operator observed the Appellant’s vehicle on the private
    land at John Lennon Airport, via the mobile CCTV traffic enforcement
    cameras. The Operator’s case is that the vehicle was ‘stopped on a roadway
    where stopping is prohibited’ from X.15am until X.18am, in breach of the
    displayed terms and conditions. Therefore, the Operator submits that the
    parking charge notice was correctly issued.
    The Appellant concedes that the vehicle was temporally stopped at the side
    of an access road. A summary of the Appellant’s case that the vehicle was
    not causing an obstruction; there was no contract between the driver of the
    vehicle and the Operator; and there was inadequate signage on the land,
    and therefore, the driver did not see or absorb, the signs indicating the
    stopping/parking restrictions. The Appellant made further representations
    that the amount of the parking charge notice does not represent a genuine
    pre-estimate of the Operator’s loss, and thus, it is not enforceable.
    Once an Appellant submits that the parking charge is not a genuine preestimate of loss, the onus is on the Operator to produce some evidence to tip
    the balance in its favour.
    The signage produced states “strictly no parking, stopping or waiting or
    double yellow lines, red route zones, orroadways at any time”, and a failure
    to comply would result in an automatic parking charge notice. This wording
    seems to indicate that the charge represents damages for a breach of the
    parking contract. Accordingly, the charge must be a genuine pre-estimate
    of loss.
    The Operator has produced a paragraph which it states that the amount of
    the parking charge notice is ‘in line with the British Parking Associations Code
    of Practice for Parking Enforcement on Private Land and Unregulated Private
    Car Parks’. However, the Operator has not shown that the amount of the
    charge sought is a genuine estimate of the potential loss to them,
    consequential to the driver’s parking breach.
    Consequently I must find that the Operator has failed to produce sufficient
    evidence to demonstrate that the parking charge is a genuine pre-estimate
    of loss.
    Accordingly, I allow the appeal.
    I need not decide on any further issues.
    Harpreet Bansal
    Assessor
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family