We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

POPLA Decisions

1…504505507509510

Comments

  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yes, but there is no such thing as a reassessment. Once the assessor has published their decision it is set in stone. Either side could suddenly magic up the most iron cast evidence, but it is inadmissible after the event.

    This is what you signed up for when you ticked the T&Cs.

    We've seen them admit mistakes but they rightly say they cannot the change the outcome of a decision.

    This is absolutely ridiculous.

  • yarpsnehpets
    yarpsnehpets Posts: 225 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Just to clarify;

    1. Did POPLA inform you that the matter was being re-assessed or did the re-assessment come out of the blue?
    2. Where you afforded the additional opportunity to comment on the mysterious extra evidence before the re-assessment occurred?
  • Perdusys1955
    Perdusys1955 Posts: 35 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 September at 9:52AM

    yes, I had an email from them saying they were reassessing due to a procedural error, email below. No, I wasn't told of any reason, just that ECP had found a procedural error, and gave an example of what that could be. The email came from the Complaints Dept. The original decision was made on 11th August, the Complaints reassessment was on 17th September.

    Dear Gary Jeffries,
    I write today regarding your POPLA appeal 2411466363
    The parking operator has been in touch to advise us that a procedural error was made during the assessment of your appeal.
    I have reviewed the assessor’s decision and I consider that a procedural error has occurred, which may change the outcome of the initial decision reached. A procedural error for example could be if we failed to allow a motorist to comment on a parking operator’s evidence pack or evidence was missed during the assessment of the case.
    As such, I will complete a full review of your case and respond to you within the next 10 working days. It is important to note that financial recompense will not be awarded and my review may not change the outcome of the decision.
    In closing, I thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.  
    Yours sincerely,
    Amy SmithPOPLA Complaints Team

  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September at 10:29AM

    or evidence was missed during the assessment of the case.

    Was this evidence visible to you the first time around?

    Evidence missed is not the same as evidence not submitted by the operator.

    The financial recompense note sounds like a tacit admission of foul play and to discourage you from action you might otherwise have taken (and still might/could).

    Theoretically, lobbing in a court claim against Popla would force them to open a whole can of beans if they wanted to defend.


    "A procedural error for example could be if we failed to allow a motorist to comment on a parking operator’s evidence pack"

    Their example is clearly designed to demonstrate their shadiness could also apply to both sides. Except they can't fail to allow the appellant to comment because it's an automated system!

  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 44,981 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    In closing, I thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I apologise for any inconvenience caused

    If this came ‘out of the blue’ from POPLA, then the above doesn’t make much sense. You brought nothing ‘to their attention’! 🤦‍♂️

    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

    #Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • I am not sure what the original PCN said, apart from saying we did not pay for the parking. It might have been in the evidence pack that they consider it a major keying error, but not being familiar with the parking code I wasn't aware of the significance of that. I have asked POPLA why I cannot see the evidence pack now, but I am still sure that I could not have just entered one letter and the machine would know I had only been there for 34 minutes.

    I was not advised of the content of the procedural error no, but I think it must be something to do with the £20 reduced fee that maybethey did not notice had been offered

  • yarpsnehpets
    yarpsnehpets Posts: 225 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I would wait for POPLA to reply and provide you with access to the operator's evidence again.

    Are you able to access the original POPLA assessment? Did you download it to a device etc?

  • It doesn't appear so, and I didn't download the POPLA assessment. I do have ECP refusal of my appeal, stating I could take it to POPLA but that's all.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.