PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Berkeley Homes quality and reputation

Options
Just reserved a townhouse in a Berkeley Homes development in London. The property is built already and was the show home, so we got a great deal with all furniture and fittings included.

I know that a lot of people are against new build, but for many reasons it is the right choice for us. No worries on that front.

A few concerns

- I read here a lot about Taylor Wimpey, Barratt, but haven't seen much about Berkeley. What is their reputation for quality? I know they build a lot of expensive London developments but that might not mean much.

- It's in a new development which includes affordable housing (as I think they all have to). I have heard horror stories, but the mixed developments I've seen in London aren't all that different from living on any street in London where there's a mix of council blocks and private homes as well.

Comments

• charliexyz
    charliexyz Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there, from my experience Berkeley tend to have nicer fixtures and fittings (and communal spaces in apartments), but this is reflected in a slightly higher price, than other national builders.

However the quality of your home may just be down to the builders/contractors used in your home, and that is something which all volume builders will have, some good and some bad.

I would advise you to check for leaks under your bath, behind the cistern, below boiler, etc. Look for any loose plumbing especially if plastic pipes are used. You could do some basic electrical inspection using a Mains Socket Tester. Speak to your neighbours and arrange for a sound test as well (with a hifi). Make your own peace of mind!

Good luck with exchange/completion, I'm moving into a Berkeley home in a few months myself!
  • yoyoegg
    yoyoegg Posts: 470 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2013 at 10:15PM
    Options
    You can always pay a professional 'snagger' to go through the property to itemise all the bodges before you pay the last tranche of £ to the builder.
    includes affordable housing (as I think they all have to

Yep, but most London borough allocate the affordable houses elsewhere in their own zone. Must be gutting to pay £250,000+ and then watch 'seekers' pile in across the road, throwing nappies out the window and blasting out da drumming an' da bassing all night.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately from a consumer perspective the only ones who know if the properties are good are Berkeley Homes and NHBC. This information is confidential... so you are on your own. I would love to be able to tell you, but that is not possible.

What I can say is the Government tried to remove the secrecy but the house builders eventually won. There are Customer Satisfaction Surveys for a period in the last decade (Google them) but I believe this got axed...

Anyone able to update on this?
  • newbian
    newbian Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    charliexyz wrote: »
    Hi there, from my experience Berkeley tend to have nicer fixtures and fittings (and communal spaces in apartments), but this is reflected in a slightly higher price, than other national builders.

However the quality of your home may just be down to the builders/contractors used in your home, and that is something which all volume builders will have, some good and some bad.

I would advise you to check for leaks under your bath, behind the cistern, below boiler, etc. Look for any loose plumbing especially if plastic pipes are used. You could do some basic electrical inspection using a Mains Socket Tester. Speak to your neighbours and arrange for a sound test as well (with a hifi). Make your own peace of mind!

Good luck with exchange/completion, I'm moving into a Berkeley home in a few months myself!

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely do those checks. Good luck with yours as well :D
  • newbian
    newbian Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    yoyoegg wrote: »
    Yep, but most London borough allocate the affordable houses elsewhere in their own zone. Must be gutting to pay £250,000+ and then watch 'seekers' pile in across the road, throwing nappies out the window and blasting out da drumming an' da bassing all night.

I live in Tower Hamlets now (renting), on one side of the street are flats going for upwards of £500,000 and on the other side is an enormous council block. Perhaps in Kensington & Chelsea this is not the case but it's pretty standard in east and south London I think.

I've been back out to the property twice since posting this originally and the "affordable" family living across the street has a Mercedes-Benz. I have a feeling most of the affordable housing is shared ownership and intermediate rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure