I didn't book, can I claim?

I've been thinking back about flights I've had delays on in the past, three I flew with work, so I didn't pay for.

* BA DFW -> LGW, delayed 2 hours due to landing mid flight to offload sick passenger, then a further hour because of fog in London.
* BMI MAN -> ORD, cancelled due to technical fault and booked on to the same flight the next day.
* BMI ORD -> MAN, delayed 3 hours due to technical fault with incoming flight.
* Jet2 MJV -> MAN, delayed 4 hours due to technical fault (failed aircon) on incoming flight.

I'm guessing the first flight really does class as "extraordinary circumstances", whilst the rest are claimable?

The three international flights were booked on my behalf by my previous employer - I don't have a record of my booking on these flights. I can however find the details of the flights, and I did use the airline's membership cards with each.

So can I still claim for the BMI flights? Would I send two claim letters to BA, or can I lump them together?

The final flight with Jet2 was booked by me for a group of four. Should I claim for all four people, or allow them to claim individually?

Comments

• tofu
    tofu Posts: 27 Forumite
    Yes you can claim, if you were the passenger. Whether or not you are entitled to keep the compensation if you were travelling for business reasons would be between you and your (former) employer to work out. I don't think you would have to pay tax on the compensation, but I frankly don't know enough about UK tax law for that.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Thanks - I did some more reading around and decided to go ahead with the claims - I've submit all three, its for the airlines to knock back now. The letters went off about a week ago. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure