Severn Trent - cost per unit used (metered supply)

I've been searching int he Q&A section and all over their website for an hour now. All I want to know is what is the cost per unit of the water used?

I need to know what I'm using in MONEY terms, not units. I've used 8348 units (cant see what the units are - liters or something?)
so I want to work out the cost so far.

I have a new meter fitted Nov 2012, am on benefits and need to put money aside each week. I'm about to get hit with bedroom tax, and the bill for water isnt due til April, so I need to know now now what its costing. I dont want to spend ages on the phone as usual if I can help it, I'm on a mobile and 0845's cost a mint

Anyone know where I can find this info please?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• bluewire
    bluewire Posts: 182 Forumite
    This is 12/13 so you can see what you have used as a cost.

Page 31 onwards

http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/Scheme%20of%20charges%202012_1.pdf

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    For 2012/13

http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/Summary-of-Charges-2012.pdf

For 2013/14

http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/Summary-of-charges-2013.pdf

Water is charged for in units of Cubic Metres(which is 1,000litres), with one charge for water and another for sewerage, plus a standing charge for water and another for sewerage.

So if you look at the 2012/13 charges you will see that you are charged £1.522 for water per cubic metre and £0.922 for sewerage so a total of £2.444 per cubic metre.

In addition you have a standing charge for water of £27.38pa and £12.88pa for sewerage.

You might be charged for 'property surface water' which will cost £29.70pa for a flat or terraced house or £59.52 for a semi. However it is possible that you can claim relief for that charge.

If you have used 8,348 units so far, your bill will be just over £20,000(twenty thousand pounds);) so I think we can safely assume you haven't used that amount.

This link explains how to read your meter:

http://www.stwater.co.uk/households/water-meters/how-to-find-and-read-your-meter/how-to-find-and-read-your-meter

Essentially only read the black numbers on the meter and ignore the 2 red numbers.

You will need to know the intial reading of the meter when fitted. I doubt you have used 83 units(cubic metres) since Nov. The average is around 55 units per person per year.
  • Blimey! The last 3 digits are red, so I've used 8 units so far then... Sorry, I didnt know that, thanks for taking the trouble to tell me! I didnt see the different colours, the meter is in a dreadfull place to access! I am a very low water user :)

I'll have to have a look at the 'relief' bit too... see what you get relief for

thanks again!
  • Thank you :)
  • Cardew
    Blimey! The last 3 digits are red, so I've used 8 units so far then... Sorry, I didnt know that, thanks for taking the trouble to tell me! I didnt see the different colours, the meter is in a dreadfull place to access! I am a very low water user :)

I'll have to have a look at the 'relief' bit too... see what you get relief for

thanks again!

If you do a search for 'Surface Water Drainage' on this water section of MSE it will explain the situation. Essentially if the water from your gutters and garden doesn't enter the sewerage system(and goes into a soakaway) you apply for relief from that charge.

Do it before 01 April and the relief will be back to last April, including anything you paid under the charges on Rateable value.
  • BarefootLizzie
    BarefootLizzie Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2013 at 9:28PM
    I had the meter fitted, so it started at 0 zero, so I've used 8 cubic meters
    I think...

so 8 x £2.444 = £19.552 for that part for last 4 months

the other charges p/a = £69.96

think thats right so far? lol
  • thanks Cardew :)
  • Cardew
    Sorry, but is the number on the meter cubic meters then? Just cant see what it says in the meter...

I had the meter fitted, so it started at 0 zero, so I've used 8 units I think...

Yes the black digits on the meter are cubic metres(1000 litres)

So for 8 units you will pay approx £20 and pro-rata on the standing charges - about another £10 so far
  • both typing at the same time there Cardew, thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport