Is she a member here?

edited 28 February 2013 at 1:49PM in Old Style MoneySaving
15 replies 2.1K views
Upsidedown_BearUpsidedown_Bear Forumite
18.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 28 February 2013 at 1:49PM in Old Style MoneySaving
Just been reading this and thought I bet she's a member of the OS board :)

ETA
$14000 is about £9200.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2285656/Home-laundry-detergent-7-bread-maker-NO-credit-cards-How-family-lives-just-14-000-year.html

Replies

• A house for $28,000?! It's a different b*****y world outside the uk....

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • FairyPrincesskFairyPrincessk Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Food and energy prices are also significantly lower in the U.S. Furthermore, when I moved here, I found that what was cheap and healthy to eat actually changed--I've since adapted and can barely remember my sticker shock these days. In particular, I remember fruit being surprisingly expensive here..but the I'd moved from California.:D

My guess is that she ins't a member here. This sort of blog is actually quite popular in the states, and oddly also often seems to go along with a religious conviction that women should stay home and possibly even homeschool their children. The focus on frugality is thus often aimed at living on one income. I didn't check this woman's blog out, but it sounds a lot like many of them. Not that there is anything wrong with that--but they're more likely to look for frugality ideas from sources based in the states.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure we would be able to live on that if we'd bought our house for £18k cash.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    thankyou for posting that ...very interesting ..what i thought was the funniest thing was daily fail readers commenting on the fact it didnt look a fun life and was no way to live....each to their own but more fun than being in debt imo
    onwards and upwards
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    does anyone know what lunch meat is ? the lady says on her blog she looks to buy tuna when its 6o cents...is that about 30p a tin ?
    onwards and upwards
  • FairyPrincesskFairyPrincessk Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually $1.50 is about £1, so probably slightly more than 30p, but not much. Lunch meat is cheap, processed and reformed sliced meat for sandwhiches--like bologna (sp?), which I don't think you have here..
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luncheon meat or spam would be 'lunch meat'.

Imagine being able to buy tuna for that price, heavenly. I haven't bought it for about 18 months now.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • edited 28 February 2013 at 3:47PM
    quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2013 at 3:47PM
    The biggest outgoing for most is rent/mortgage so ofcourse owning a hosue outright would make it easier to live on less, i live on less than that because i also don't have a huge rent and we live well theres no lunching meat in this house mind :rotfl:

She must have quite a freezer tho!!!
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins wrote: »
    The biggest outgoing for most is rent/mortgage so ofcourse owning a hosue outright would make it easier to live on less, i live on less than that because i also don't have a huge rent and we live well theres no lunching meat in this house mind :rotfl:

She must have quite a freezer tho!!!

Yes, and with property prices that low, I doubt her rental was very high either. She lives on £9000. My rent alone is over £6000. And my house is small and one of the cheaper ones in the area!

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and with property prices that low, I doubt her rental was very high either. She lives on £9000. My rent alone is over £6000. And my house is small and one of the cheaper ones in the area!

My rent is £1800 for the year and thats because we rent off family, we are saving to buy a plot of land outright then build as and when we have savings to do so so very similar to her plan in that she saved for a forclosure and has a small income, however i don't think i do anything amazing i'm very aware of the fact my expenses are less than most and i'm just careful with my money.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides