Is she a member here?

edited 28 February 2013 at 1:49PM in Old Style MoneySaving
15 replies 2.1K views
Upsidedown_BearUpsidedown_Bear Forumite
18.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 28 February 2013 at 1:49PM in Old Style MoneySaving
Just been reading this and thought I bet she's a member of the OS board :)

ETA
$14000 is about £9200.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2285656/Home-laundry-detergent-7-bread-maker-NO-credit-cards-How-family-lives-just-14-000-year.html

Replies

• A house for $28,000?! It's a different b*****y world outside the uk....

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • FairyPrincesskFairyPrincessk Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Food and energy prices are also significantly lower in the U.S. Furthermore, when I moved here, I found that what was cheap and healthy to eat actually changed--I've since adapted and can barely remember my sticker shock these days. In particular, I remember fruit being surprisingly expensive here..but the I'd moved from California.:D

My guess is that she ins't a member here. This sort of blog is actually quite popular in the states, and oddly also often seems to go along with a religious conviction that women should stay home and possibly even homeschool their children. The focus on frugality is thus often aimed at living on one income. I didn't check this woman's blog out, but it sounds a lot like many of them. Not that there is anything wrong with that--but they're more likely to look for frugality ideas from sources based in the states.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure we would be able to live on that if we'd bought our house for £18k cash.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    thankyou for posting that ...very interesting ..what i thought was the funniest thing was daily fail readers commenting on the fact it didnt look a fun life and was no way to live....each to their own but more fun than being in debt imo
    onwards and upwards
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    does anyone know what lunch meat is ? the lady says on her blog she looks to buy tuna when its 6o cents...is that about 30p a tin ?
    onwards and upwards
  • FairyPrincesskFairyPrincessk Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually $1.50 is about £1, so probably slightly more than 30p, but not much. Lunch meat is cheap, processed and reformed sliced meat for sandwhiches--like bologna (sp?), which I don't think you have here..
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luncheon meat or spam would be 'lunch meat'.

Imagine being able to buy tuna for that price, heavenly. I haven't bought it for about 18 months now.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • edited 28 February 2013 at 3:47PM
    quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2013 at 3:47PM
    The biggest outgoing for most is rent/mortgage so ofcourse owning a hosue outright would make it easier to live on less, i live on less than that because i also don't have a huge rent and we live well theres no lunching meat in this house mind :rotfl:

She must have quite a freezer tho!!!
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins wrote: »
    The biggest outgoing for most is rent/mortgage so ofcourse owning a hosue outright would make it easier to live on less, i live on less than that because i also don't have a huge rent and we live well theres no lunching meat in this house mind :rotfl:

She must have quite a freezer tho!!!

Yes, and with property prices that low, I doubt her rental was very high either. She lives on £9000. My rent alone is over £6000. And my house is small and one of the cheaper ones in the area!

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and with property prices that low, I doubt her rental was very high either. She lives on £9000. My rent alone is over £6000. And my house is small and one of the cheaper ones in the area!

My rent is £1800 for the year and thats because we rent off family, we are saving to buy a plot of land outright then build as and when we have savings to do so so very similar to her plan in that she saved for a forclosure and has a small income, however i don't think i do anything amazing i'm very aware of the fact my expenses are less than most and i'm just careful with my money.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News