Simple Payments Card

Options
This is a new card the government have bought out, incase you dont have a bank account, the funds get transfered to this card.

Just wanted to know how many days exactly do the funds take to clear from the date the transfer took place to the card? Can anyone tell me from experience?

Comments

• LunaLady
    LunaLady Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    According to their own in information

''Your money will be available for you to collect
    using your Simple Payment card from the day
    the office that pays your benefit, pension or
    child maintenance payments has told you that
    you will be paid.''

So I am assuming they will send the payments so they hit the card the day they are due like they do with benefits payments which go directly into the bank.

Do you not have a bank account by choice? It seems a bit of a faff.
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
  • swaterhouse
    Options
    unfortunately no, i went bankrupt, and cant even have a basic account with barclays anymore, however i do have a cardonebanking account but they're full of hidden charges.
  • swaterhouse
    Options
    They should be making the payment to me today, when i did have a barclays account it would be available on the saturday (but with the mondays date), as the jobcentre say that my payment date is Monday.

However with it being a simple payments card, it shouldnt work like a bank, with clearing times etc, so not sure how this will actualy take 3 days to clear. Hoping it will be clear today (on day of processing)
  • lld01
    lld01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    It does actually work in a similar way as a bank account as far as regular benefit payments are concerned - with payments going to the card account via the BACS system and usually taking 2-3 working days to clear.

It all depends on the payment due date - if your payment is due on Monday then it would have cleared on the account by Monday.
  • swaterhouse
    Options
    lld01 wrote: »
    It does actually work in a similar way as a bank account as far as regular benefit payments are concerned - with payments going to the card account via the BACS system and usually taking 2-3 working days to clear.

It all depends on the payment due date - if your payment is due on Monday then it would have cleared on the account by Monday.

That's IF it's possible to use the BACS system making payments to the simple payments card, as there is no unique account number or sort code, its just 1 number along the front. So it all depends what method they use to transfer it, anyone know?
  • swaterhouse
    Options
    Just phoned them. No payment has been released today apparently which leads me to think theyre going to do it on the actual Monday, via instant transfer.
  • swaterhouse
    Options
    gave them another call, as im now concerned im not going to receive anything at all after being told there was no intruction to send a payment today, and the woman i just spoke to was much more helpful! sent an email to the payments team saying i was concerned im not going to get paid and to ring me.. the previous woman said "there's nothing i can do until the monday if you don't receive a payment call back then" useless some of them!
  • lld01
    Options
    That's IF it's possible to use the BACS system making payments to the simple payments card, as there is no unique account number or sort code, its just 1 number along the front. So it all depends what method they use to transfer it, anyone know?

Payments are issued to a sort code and account number (the same for all cards) with the sps card number as a reference / roll number (in a similar way payments are issued to, for example, some building society accounts or a credit card account).

Payments are usually made by BACS which is 2-3days, one-off or urgent payments can also be made by faster payments which would be on the card within 2 hours.
  • swaterhouse
    Options
    lld01 wrote: »
    Payments are issued to a sort code and account number (the same for all cards) with the sps card number as a reference / roll number (in a similar way payments are issued to, for example, some building society accounts or a credit card account).

Payments are usually made by BACS which is 2-3days, one-off or urgent payments can also be made by faster payments which would be on the card within 2 hours.

ok thanks, how do you know all this?
  • lld01
    Options
    ok thanks, how do you know all this?

I work in benefit processing

The person you spoke to earlier would be correct - there is nothing they can do until the due date (monday) - if the payment is not on the card then they should be able to arrange a faster payment so you get it within a couple of hours. So try not to worry about it. Payments that issue overnight on a Thursday normally still credit by the Monday anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure