Bank of Ireland tracker mortgage % increase

Options

Comments

• disposalist
    Options
    marathonic wrote: »
    Clutching straws here. Why should it have been available for downloading? What happened before the days of the internet and since when did this change? Should a contract between a landlord and tenant be available for download and, if not, why are the rules different here?
    But they certainly should be including with their insulting "understanding just how we screwed you" documentation the relevant legal clauses that they are abusing and perhaps even enclosed a copy of your agreement.
  • Sandstone
    Options
    All of you should re-martgage asap. My sympathies go to those who cannot do so, and good luck in the fight against these unfair (yet probably legal) increases.
    Saving money for everything and everyone.
  • Former_MSE_Helen
    Options
    "13,500 customers with a Bank of Ireland base rate tracker mortgage should brace themselves as rates are set to soar..."
    Read the full story:

Bank of Ireland hikes mortgage costs, breaking base rate tracker

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • Landlord87
    Options
    A suggested approach from someone in the business:

1. Write to the Bank of Ireland saying that you were missold the tracker mortgage because no-one told you that the differential may rise. Point out also that the wording in there documentation is neither clear nor transparent. I think the size of the increase alone is enough to win this point. Then tell them that you raise the issue with the
    Ombudsman.
    2. When you get the reply from BoI then go ahead and complain to the Ombudsman. Important to remeber here is that it costs you nothing but will cost BoI £750 to fight every complaint they receive. Also the Ombudsman starts on the side of the customer and it is up to the BoI to prove that they haven't missold the product.
  • smiffy
    smiffy Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    "13,500 customers with a Bank of Ireland base rate tracker mortgage should brace themselves as rates are set to soar..."
    Read the full story:

Bank of Ireland hikes mortgage costs, breaking base rate tracker

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

That's a great article, but my rate on my residential product is jumping from 0.89% to 3.99% + Base Rate

That's taking the interest payment from £243 to £780!

I'd rather you quoted my figures! I can fund a £100 per month increase I need to find over £500!
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    smiffy wrote: »
    That's a great article, but my rate on my residential product is jumping from 0.89% to 3.99% + Base Rate

I'd rather you quoted my figures! I can fund a £100 per month increase I need to find over £500!

With all due respect, But surely you should not be purchasing a property that you will not be able to pay for if rates go to a VERY LOW 3.99% what happens when the bank of England raise rates and the average rate on offer is say 5%.

I just don't understand some people
  • lotielot
    lotielot Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    BoI told me that I might be able to get a better deal with them but mortgage department told me that they will not offer me any rate because I have BTL mortgage and if I had a residential m. with them my new rate would be 4.29% which is not much better from 4.49% and it's much worse from 2.25% that I have now. Even remortgaging with other bank will not make much difference as they will not offer better deal.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Is that a promotion for Dan Plant, or just a change in job title?
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    smiffy wrote: »

I don't mean to sound harsh here, but what would you have done with base rates at 3%+ which woiuld have put you in the same position?

I find it bizzare that people are saying this will ruin them, when even at 4.99% it's still lower than the average interest rate over the last few decades?
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't mean to sound harsh here, but what would you have done with base rates at 3%+ which woiuld have put you in the same position?

I find it bizzare that people are saying this will ruin them, when even at 4.99% it's still lower than the average interest rate over the last few decades?

This is why we are going through a long and painful recovery because of excessive debt that has now become unaffordable.

Better assessment of what you are able to afford should have happened years ago this would then stop problems like this happening.

But it is also about the person that is borrowing not living in some fantasy world of lets be better than the jones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure