MSE News: Half of meat-eaters happy to eat horsemeat

"Over half of meat-eaters would buy safe horsemeat, our poll of almost 14,000 has found..."
Read the full story:

Half of meat-eaters happy to eat horsemeat

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am one who is just sitting there thinking 'so what' its only horse, yes if it says beef it should be beef but its hardly the end of the world.

From what I can see horse meat shouyld be better for us then beef so I am more than happy to give it a go the moment I see it for sale at a reasonable price.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    trust, credibility, confidence are the issue. on top of those immediate concerns are themes of fraud, a complex food chain and what else is going into our food.

Ive had horse and its fine, but I can understand others feeling strongly about what they eat.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Its partly about labelling, some people do not want to eat horse and that's perfectly within their rights. Some people might be allergic to horse for example. We need to be able to trust the labelling on our food. It may be horse today but what about eating dog? Would most of us be as relaxed about that? Or meat being added to food labelled vegetarian? or soya being used instead of meat but still sold as prime beef?

However, it's also about something being added to the food chain without anyone apparently being aware of it. Prime horse instead of prime beef may not be an issue but what about knackers horse instead of prime beef, horses put down due to disease or old age and being added to the food chain? These horses (or any other kind of meat like this) were never intended for human consumption and may contain drugs or disease that are not good for us.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    I wouldn't eat horsemeat even if it was free 48%
    Veggies/vegans excepted, I bet many of those already have and don't even know it ;)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Horsemeat meals are drumming up a lot of interest in at least one pub

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2013-01-29/pub-puts-horse-meat-on-the-menu/
    The landlord Sam Bettany says it’s proving popular with tables in the restaurant sold out.

Whilst it started out as a one night special, I understand it's still available any day on request and the pub are considering another one night special event following the success of the the recent one.
  • zennith
    zennith Posts: 12,193 Forumite
    Wywth wrote: »
    Horsemeat meals are drumming up a lot of interest in at least one pub

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2013-01-29/pub-puts-horse-meat-on-the-menu/

Whilst it started out as a one night special, I understand it's still available any day on request and the pub are considering another one night special event following the success of the the recent one.

Is the Pub called The Nags Head?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    I am one who is just sitting there thinking 'so what' its only horse, yes if it says beef it should be beef but its hardly the end of the world.

From what I can see horse meat shouyld be better for us then beef so I am more than happy to give it a go the moment I see it for sale at a reasonable price.
    To me, it's a question of no-one knowing what has gone into it. I'd be perfectly happy eating horse.
    But I don't want to eat anything where the manufacturer doesn't know what's in it, or where the manufacturer has put stuff in without telling us.
    Because once that happens, where do we stand?
    Who do we believe when it comes to allergy warnings? If they're adding horse without knowing/telling us are they adding gluten without knowing/telling us?
    Who is to say that nutrition information is accurate?
    How can we trust Use By dates?
    How can we trust the food's safety?
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The real scandal imho is what has happened to all these perfectly good food products in a world where an estimated one in seven worldwide go hungry every day.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    This poll is misleading as it's not a straight yes/no question.

MSErs as a group want to save money. Some will eat cheap food because they don't feel they have a choicein their situation, others because they don't know how to cook and weren't brought up to appreciate good food and there will be people who choose to eat cheap food in order to afford designer clothes, vacations, SKY. booze etc.

Whatever the reason for wishing to save money, people needing/wanting to eat cheap food may well put price before any other consideration.

The poll leads people by saying how much cheaper than beef does horsemeat have to be before you would buy it.

It's irresponsible of MSE IMO to encourage people to want horsemeat. The horsemeat coming into the UK may originate in the USA as failed doped up racehorses exported via Canada or Mexico. A documentary shown just last week, filmed stolen ponies in a barn in Ulster prior to being shipped out to Europe via UK.

If people want horsemeat, fine, breed herds of ponies, make sure they are fit for consumption and pay the farmers a price that reflects the work they put in.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was in Makro a few days ago, and they had frozen rabbits!

I had hare about ten years ago. Bit into a lead shot, cracked a tooth, and eventually had to pay for it to be extracted.

Talking about starving Marvins, I think they are already eating "bush meats". In fact, the western world wants to tell them to stop poaching them into extinction.

Cows and sheep are immune from extinction BECAUSE we eat them. So what if we encourage them into breeding exotic animals for meat? There are mink farms already, so why not tiger farms, rhino farms, etc. The species will thrive because there are willing paying customers. We can enforce humane killing methods, as well as "Organic" rearing environments.

The Australians would definitely welcome a trade in Kangaroo meats. What happened to ostrich farms?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure