Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Cancelling SkyHD upgrade

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
2 replies 880 views
Kev1888_1967Kev1888_1967 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this so bear with me. My ex upgraded our existing Sky package in November to Sky+HD. She no longer lives here & is the lead name on the account. Sky say to cancel it, I will have to pay out the rest of the contract. Now, my ex never actually signed anything, it was agreed over the phone. Where do I stand with this? I've been with sky for 6years & never missed a payment. Would be gratefull for any advice or anyone with previous experience dealing with Sky.

Replies

• Paul_01Paul_01 Forumite
    392 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    From the info you've given, I think your ex agreed to a new 12 month contract when she upgraded to HD. If so, that contract exists even though nothing has been signed. A verbal contract is just as binding here.

Also, if the account is in your ex's name I'm surprised Sky are talking to you at all, unless you have permission previously set up with them?

Why do you want to get rid of HD? Personally, I avoid SD wherever possible now!
  • edited 26 February 2013 at 1:12PM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2013 at 1:12PM
    As above. You don't have to pay anything. If the DD is on your account and you cancel it, your ex is liable, not you, because it's not your account. Sky shouldn't even be discussing the account with you without her agreement.
    A contract agreed by phone has exactly the same validity as one agreed in writing. No signature is required. So the minimum term applies and buying out the contract will mean paying up the full balance that would have been due.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.