Breast pumps

Options
Any recommendations?? I have a tommee tippee electric one and am not getting on with it, wondered if an of you mums out the had any other recommendations for efficient and fast pumping? (Currently get 1-2oz per session - which can be an hour or so...... My poor boobs lol!!)

Owl xx
Children are born with wings .... Teachers help them to fly
One day your life is going to flash in front of your eyes.... Make sure it's worth watching!!!!!

Comments

• Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loved my Medela Swing. I could get 6oz in 30minutes.

But I think it varies from woman to woman and some women are efficient pumpers and some aren't. Has no indication on supply or anything. I've known really successful breast feeders to get very little from the pump xx
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    Options
    I'll second Gilly's recommendation for the Swing. I bought mine after having a baby at 27 weeks and it was used every 3 hours practically for nearly 4 months and no problems with it.

It does make a bizarre noise, I remember sitting in the NICU expressing and one of the Paeds coming in and looking round saying 'what's that strange noise?' It was my breastpump!

I managed to sell it on ebay a few months ago for £59.00. Would recommend this pump without hesitation.
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd also recommend the Medela Swing, it saw me through 6 months of pumping for our preemie son. (I even managed to adapt it to become a low-suction double pump!)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • thetope
    thetope Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for medela swing here too! However I never got more than 3-4 oz a session so it took a couple of goes to get enough for a full feed.
  • choccielover
    Options
    I had the TT and it was rubbish so I totally agree. I had the agent manual which I get on great with. What really works for me is feeding and expressing at the same time.

Good luck honey, I am a week away from the 1 year mark and have loved breast feeding. (Well maybe not the twice daily express at work but you know what I mean...)
  • Owl
    Owl Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all!!! I've heard from loads of sources now that the medula swing is the best one- guess what mr owl and I (with the baby owl of course!!) will be doing tomorrow!!! Thanks again.......
    Children are born with wings .... Teachers help them to fly
    One day your life is going to flash in front of your eyes.... Make sure it's worth watching!!!!!
  • Princess_nola1
    Options
    I also first had the electric TT. Not my cup of tea either. I also went to the Medea swing & took its amazing. I lent it to hubby's best friends wife for their baby & have just had it returned for when we have our next. I got mine through the local breast feeding group so didn't pay full price (£100 ish in stores) and paid just £70. Even still, it saves buying formula & is better for you & baby!
    When it's dark, look for stars. When it's raining look for rainbows.
    DFW - Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£3149.71[/STRIKE]£0! Capital One CC:[STRIKE] £2242.01[/STRIKE]£0! :T Overdraft: [STRIKE]£283[/STRIKE] £0! :T
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add: you don't say what age your baby is - breast feeding needs to be really well established & boobs / nipples settled down before you will manage much in the way of pumping.
    Consider hand expressing - a bit more fiddly, but some women find it works much better.
    Also consider pumping from one breast whilst feeding at the other (again, only when feeding is well established)
  • ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    Also consider pumping from one breast whilst feeding at the other (again, only when feeding is well established)

I'd second this... It's literally the only way I could ever express. (Besides, I used to leak from one side whilst feeding from the other so it wasn't too much of a leap to work out this would be a good time to express)

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • dizziblonde
    Options
    Not Avent - mine lasted about a fortnight. If I had to do serious amounts of pumping again - I'll be hiring a proper superdooper one instead.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure