Catriona's Credit Card Countdown

edited 15 March 2013 at 9:41PM in Debt Free Diaries
680 replies 54.4K views

Replies

• dktreeseadktreesea Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    That's good news about the cashback! I smiled when I read your comment: " I really think that when I have finally paid my debt off, I will be much more comfortable in this relationship." My first thought on reading this was I'll feel more comfortable with my life once all the debt is paid off, let alone the relationship!

On the balance transfer front for CCs, this might be worth considering:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2337010/Tesco-Bank-launches-fee-0-12-month-balance-transfer-credit-card.html

Have you got a club card? Having one would improve your chances of getting this card. Even if you only get a card worth a couple of grand, you could maybe plan to transfer your First Direct balance onto it.
  • The_BossThe_Boss Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    catriona79 wrote: »
    Hi Boss, welcome to my diary:)

It's "katrina".

Off to read up on your journey now!

Aha, that answers a question I've wondered about for many a year!
  • edited 11 June 2013 at 6:52AM
    catriona79catriona79 Forumite
    855 Posts
    edited 11 June 2013 at 6:52AM
    cwal wrote: »
    Hi Catriona
    I'm going to subscribe to your diary as I feel I'm in a very similar situation - lots of debt built up from doing my house up! I'm hoping I can garner some extra motivation from seeing how people in a similar situation are budgeting!
    It sounds like you have made great progress so far - clearing 20% is great!

Hello cwal, welcome! And thankyou for subscribing :)

How long ago did you do your house up? I've been in mine for just over 2 years, and hoped that I'd have paid it off by now! My original plan was to have my debt paid off in 18 months... It didn't happen, and the time came when I couldn't ignore the problem any longer! So here I am, since about Feb 13, trying to pay off my cards while at the same time not spending on new cards! (Which is what I used to do!:eek::eek::eek:)
    Now I'm being more disciplined and feeling more positive about getting rid of my debt. Next month it will go below 13k, and I'm really happy about that!

I can see from your sig that you have made a massive dent in your debt! How have you done that? Any tips?
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
  • catriona79catriona79 Forumite
    855 Posts
    dktreesea wrote: »
    That's good news about the cashback! I smiled when I read your comment: " I really think that when I have finally paid my debt off, I will be much more comfortable in this relationship." My first thought on reading this was I'll feel more comfortable with my life once all the debt is paid off, let alone the relationship!

Oh yes, definitely! I can't wait until the day! Counting the months down. My life is going to be so much better then, or ill feel better about it!
    I will need a saving challenge then. Or I'll move home again and accumulate more debt ;) :mad:
    On the balance transfer front for CCs, this might be worth considering:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2337010/Tesco-Bank-launches-fee-0-12-month-balance-transfer-credit-card.html

Have you got a club card? Having one would improve your chances of getting this card. Even if you only get a card worth a couple of grand, you could maybe plan to transfer your First Direct balance onto it.

That's amazing, thanks for that DK! I have got a club card, I will have to time my application cleverly now. I don't have to apply till end of December, but am thinking of spreading the applications a bit, so maybe try that in Oct/November...

Have a good day all
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
  • edited 12 July 2013 at 3:06PM
    cwalcwal Forumite
    127 Posts
    edited 12 July 2013 at 3:06PM
    catriona79 wrote: »
    Hello cwal, welcome! And thankyou for subscribing :)

How long ago did you do your house up? I've been in mine for just over 2 years, and hoped that I'd have paid it off by now! My original plan was to have my debt paid off in 18 months... It didn't happen, and the time came when I couldn't ignore the problem any longer! So here I am, since about Feb 13, trying to pay off my cards while at the same time not spending on new cards! (Which is what I used to do!:eek::eek::eek:)
    Now I'm being more disciplined and feeling more positive about getting rid of my debt. Next month it will go below 13k, and I'm really happy about that!

I can see from your sig that you have made a massive dent in your debt! How have you done that? Any tips?

Hi Catriona :j
    I originally brought my house about 6 years ago but moved back in just over a year ago after renting it out due to redundancy - I had to completely re do the place as it had been trashed by the tenants! I have finally got it how i want it though.
    I started tackling my debt seriously about August time last year as I didn't want to keep worrying about whether I could get another 0% balance transfer and knew I would struggle to pay full interest rates.
    I have done a couple of car boot sales which did well and sold CD's/books etc to Music Magpie - every but helps!! I also set up a budget and tried to cut back as much as possible on non-essentials - it is difficult at times but I figure once I've cleared it I can save the money instead :j
    I shall keep reading your diary, it sounds like you are doing great so far though!
    855 Posts
    cwal wrote: »
    Hi Catriona :j
    I originally brought my house about 6 years ago but moved back in just over a year ago after renting it out due to redundancy - I had to completely re do the place as it had been trashed by the tenants! I have finally got it how i want it though.
    I started tackling my debt seriously about August time last year as I didn't want to keep worrying about whether I could get another 0% balance transfer and knew I would struggle to pay full interest rates.
    I cleared the chunk so far my ebaying loads (made over £1000 this way so far) I have also done a couple of car boot sales which did well and sold CD's/books etc to Music Magpie - every but helps!! I also set up a budget and tried to cut back as much as possible on non-essentials - it is difficult at times but I figure once I've cleared it I can save the money instead :j
    I shall keep reading your diary, it sounds like you are doing great so far though!

Hi Cwal,
    Congrats on your progress in less than a year! So you had to re-do your house after renting it out? That must have been disheartening. A few months ago I toyed with the idea of renting my house out but I would hate to see it wrecked, it was a labour of love, getting it to the stage it is at. Blood, sweat and tears too. My bf really wanted us to rent a city centre apartment together, after we have rented my house out, so that we could walk to work etc, but I said no. I wouldn't mind selling it, but would worry too much about renting it out. If it had been done up for rent, then that would be different. But I planned it all for me to enjoy and can't muster up that level of detachment.

I admire anyone who makes money on eBay - I'm not very good at it at all! I have sold a few things, but that's about it! Might have another go when there is a free listings weekend.

I can relate to the fear of not getting another 0% balance transfer card... It's tough to be under that pressure for prolonged piods of time. I think what motivated me was that after 18 months in the house I was supposed to have paid my debt off, but instead I increased it! So then I had a serious chat with myself and told myself off! Since then I have tried to pay it off, set up spreadsheets and set myself targets, but have not been on track... I always pay £550 off, each month, but would ideally want to be able to pay off £900... there is always something that makes me spend though!.. I have just decided to have a new patio laid in the garden. I have not been able to use the garden at all in the time I've been in the house, and this time just said sod it and got a couple of reliable and not overpriced builders in for mid July. I am so excited now at the prospect of being able to sit out in the garden and have a table and chairs there and enjoy the space! Literally doing happy leg kicks as I write it! ;)

Good luck with your debt repayment and hope you pop in again :)
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
  • dktreeseadktreesea Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    To stay in your house instead of renting a city apartment was, imho, a very good idea. Personally I don't like gardens or gardening, but I have come to regret living in a flat 60 steps up from Mother Earth, albeit quite big. Yes, it's inner city, a walk to everywhere, great schools, caffe latte living, on 5 bus routes (used to be 6 but they rerouted one of them some years ago) and everything else that comes with being in the city. But there are a few compromises compared to when we lived in a house.

It's noisier, even way up here in the air. The seagulls are nesting on our roof. They don't seem to believe in sleeping through the night. Mum and Dad come home to feed them from wherever they go out to sea about 4am in the morning. You'ld think it was a wedding party when they come back.

You have quite a few neighbours. It's good to know the neighbours, and we have even met quite a few in the street. But at the same time it can be quite transient, so now and then we have had bad neighbours. People who steal parcels left for other people in the stair. We now have big signs up to the postman to leave any parcels where the people are not home either with us or the one across from us (must thrill him heaps to have to traipse up 60 stairs with parcels that belong to the ground floor!) but he doesn't always bother.

There is no extra space. There's no garden to go and put up a shed in. No under the house, down in the basement, or in the roof loft. We don't even have a balcony, so there's no outside directly from the flat - if we ever rent a flat again that will be a big priority.

It's not decorated to a high standard, because it hasn't been decorated since the 70s or maybe even the 60s. We took it at the time thinking it wouldn't be for long and for the size of the rooms. That was nearly ten years ago. You've got your house just how you want it. That's a big deal. Sometimes I look at the other flats in this street which are for sale, some with exactly the same layout as ours, and they look wonderful, fully renovated. When you rent, you can't do that.

Our children and my OH have missed having a garden, even though I haven't. From time to time they come home from those of their friends places who have gardens and say how nice their gardens are. They don't seem to notice that actual houses.

It will be a great feeling, extending out into the back when you have your patio. We had one at the other house which had a mosquito infested pond, so we dug up the pond and relaid the patio. Well, my OH rather than the royal "We". It turned an unusable space into a magical place.
    855 Posts
    To stay in your house instead of renting a city apartment was, imho, a very good idea. Personally I don't like gardens or gardening, but I have come to regret living in a flat 60 steps up from Mother Earth, albeit quite big. Yes, it's inner city, a walk to everywhere, great schools, caffe latte living, on 5 bus routes (used to be 6 but they rerouted one of them some years ago) and everything else that comes with being in the city. But there are a few compromises compared to when we lived in a house.

It's noisier, even way up here in the air. The seagulls are nesting on our roof. They don't seem to believe in sleeping through the night. Mum and Dad come home to feed them from wherever they go out to sea about 4am in the morning. You'ld think it was a wedding party when they come back.

You have quite a few neighbours. It's good to know the neighbours, and we have even met quite a few in the street. But at the same time it can be quite transient, so now and then we have had bad neighbours. People who steal parcels left for other people in the stair. We now have big signs up to the postman to leave any parcels where the people are not home either with us or the one across from us (must thrill him heaps to have to traipse up 60 stairs with parcels that belong to the ground floor!) but he doesn't always bother.

There is no extra space. There's no garden to go and put up a shed in. No under the house, down in the basement, or in the roof loft. We don't even have a balcony, so there's no outside directly from the flat - if we ever rent a flat again that will be a big priority.

It's not decorated to a high standard, because it hasn't been decorated since the 70s or maybe even the 60s. We took it at the time thinking it wouldn't be for long and for the size of the rooms. That was nearly ten years ago. You've got your house just how you want it. That's a big deal. Sometimes I look at the other flats in this street which are for sale, some with exactly the same layout as ours, and they look wonderful, fully renovated. When you rent, you can't do that.

Our children and my OH have missed having a garden, even though I haven't. From time to time they come home from those of their friends places who have gardens and say how nice their gardens are. They don't seem to notice that actual houses.

It will be a great feeling, extending out into the back when you have your patio. We had one at the other house which had a mosquito infested pond, so we dug up the pond and relaid the patio. Well, my OH rather than the royal "We". It turned an unusable space into a magical place.

Hello Debbie, hope you have been ok? Hope the car saga is all resolved now?

I know what you mean about the convenience of a city centre apartment! I'd love to live in the centre for a bit - never done it and I think it would be fun. I used to Enjoy staying at my partner's in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.
    My worries about renting were less to do with not having a garden and more with being worried that lodgers would destroy my house. I know that there are some very considerate tenants around, but I was thinking it would just be my luck to get a bad egg!.. Financially it would not make much sense and it's better to sell up and start again. Or even better stick it out for another couple of years until the fix ends, save some money and then pick somewhere nice and quieter too! I keep being woken up by the milkman and the boy racers and people coming back from the pubs on the high street - as the house is in quite a bohemian/artsy area, where there are a lot of young people and young families. It's lovely here and I like being a 5 min walk away from a French cafe but I think next time I'd go for somewhere a little quieter.

But I'm ecstatic about the prospect of a proper garden! Wonderful!

I'm getting my CV written up as I've decided to apply for jobs and see what response I get. Wish me luck!
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
  • edited 19 June 2013 at 10:09PM
    catriona79catriona79 Forumite
    855 Posts
    edited 19 June 2013 at 10:09PM
    Hello everyone

Reporting in to say I've had another non-spend day! Very pleased with myself. Freezer food it is!

A bit of badness crept in tough, when I bought my lovely pair of Pied a terre shoes yesterday - half price! That will do me for a bit for work shoes! Smart they are too. Hopefully will be used for some interviews! ;)

How has everyone been? I'm quite exhausted, but gt back home early today to finish off the cv! Better get on!..
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    855 Posts
    Well, I've been playing around with my signature instead of working on the CV... But I thought it was more motivational to have the countdown... ;)
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals