PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

magnolia or off-white walls?

Options

Comments

• tim123456789
    Options
    I hate magnolia walls.

I prefer some other neutral colour.

But from the two on offer I would rather have white
  • tim123456789
    Options
    SternMusik wrote: »
    + 1

Matte white is the way to go. I really don't like shiny walls at all - I am considering redecorating my house purely to get rid of the shiny paint used by the previous owner. It is otherwise nicely decorated. Also, painting over silk/shiny paint is more difficult than painting over matte paint.

I'm the exact opposite.

I hate matt walls

It marks, you can't wash it and you can't stick blutack to it without it leaving an oily mark

tim
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    Depends on the property - I wouldn't do pure white in a period property but would in a newer property.

If its already magnolia I'd just do another single coat of magnolia over it to tidy it up.

I can't imagine the difference between magnolia and off white would be a deal breaker or clincher which ever you decide.

you wouldn't like my place, then! :(;)

I think white paint with high ceilings and period moulding looks great :T
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 February 2013 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Shiny silk finishes will show every lump and bump on the plasterwork, matt finishes are more forgiving.

There are a vast range of whites. Which one to use will depend on the style and age of the property. A chalky "Old English White" will be perfect for an old country cottage with oak beamed ceilings.

Brilliant white can be cold in north facing rooms but look fabulous in a south facing room, especially if it's by the seaside (light reflecting off the water).

A general all purpose creamy/white is softer than brilliant white and will brighten up a room better than magnolia which can be too "beige" and rather dull.

If lack of light is a problem in dark north facing rooms, then the Dulux range called "Light and Space" contains light reflecting particles which do really help to bounce light around. It does cost a bit more than the bog standard emulsions but it's well worth it.

If painting kitchens and bathrooms then you really should use special steam resistant paints designed for that purpose.

PS Just edited - some matt finishes are washable and quite hardwearing. Again I think Dulux do a special range.

I've learned the hard way to avoid cheap paint. I found it to be false economy, it either doesn't look as good or you need more coats to get decent coverage.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DRP wrote: »

Yes I agree.

My cousin has a period property and it is huge.

Every room is painted white and it looks fabulous - it seems to be just the right background for all the lovely furniture he has (small grand piano in the lounge for one!)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Yes I agree.

My cousin has a period property and it is huge.

Every room is painted white and it looks fabulous - it seems to be just the right background for all the lovely furniture he has (small grand piano in the lounge for one!)

This is a look I love.

It takes a bit of working out which white is best because there are so many, but get it right and it looks fabulous.

But then you have the perfect backdrop for furniture, displaying paintings and objets d'art, books, plants and flowers etc.

Throw in neutral flooring and then some gorgeous rugs, cushions and throws etc.

Job done. Simple, classy, elegant, homely and inviting.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    DRP wrote: »

No I wouldn't like that :p;)
    Actually I might really, does it have picture rails? When I have had houses with picture rails I always feel I need a colour below the picture rail and white/off white above and on the ceiling.

F&B do some lovely whites but not brilliant white for period properties.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    I think in that instance I would do brilliant white for ceilings and above the picture rails and then a softer white for the main walls.

I think it's a case of trial and error sometimes which "shade" of white, it often depends on how much sunlight the room gets and which pigments are used - warm or cool.

F&B do some great traditional softer whites which I think tend to be very sympathetic to the feel of period properties. Bog standard emulsions - especially some of the cheap ones such as Wilkinsons etc can be very harsh and garish.
  • pinkskyatnight
    Options
    thank you for your opinions! seems to be slightly in favour to the off-white! i shall start hunting for a nice warm white colour!
    i want the property to be freshly painted so the buyer sees the house as move in and do nothing and hopefully get a higher price for it! we bought the house in a state and saw the potential and will hopefully make a wee profit from the things we have done
    Debt Free Wannabe since Sept 2012!
    £8,106.27 / £10,770.00 - 75.26% paid!! Getting closer!
    Debt Free by Xmas 2013!!
    Thanks to those that post freebies and competitions!
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'm the exact opposite.I hate matt walls. It marks, you can't wash it and you can't stick blutack to it without it leaving an oily mark.tim

Agree with all of the above Tim Plus it looks so flat and lifeless!
    Satin adds a subtle sheen without too much shine and reflects the light better.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure