Basic PAYE Tools

Options
13»

Comments

• AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    a few years ago we needed to spread a payment over a couple of months so i contacted the payment support service, this wasn't long after it had been set up. we were up to date with all other payments & deferred payment was agreed straight away with very few questions.

had to contact them again about 18 months later, again to pay a particular amount over 2 months as we couldn't manage in one go. completely different response from the support service, they wanted all the current figures from the business, had we drawn dividends, what else did we owe/was owed to us, had we tried to get a bank loan etc etc., the in-depth questions seem to be non-ending! they did agree, but they sure made me work for it.

i can understand why all the questions as the service shouldn't be used as an easy answer or to prop up a failing/failed business. just be aware it's not as straight forward as just calling them & asking for a payment plan :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in a similar situation in future, there is a way out (especially if it is not at year end, else interest will accrue) if you act in a timely manner (i.e. before the amount is actually due) :)
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/paying/cannot-pay.htm#1
    Fortunately, I'm no longer in this situation. I was running an out of school club, in term time the amounts due to HMRC were very small, and by the time I realised that the summer holidays were going to lead to a BIG HMRC bill there was nothing I could do to improve the cashflow in time.

However, I knew the next instalment of our startup grant would be in the bank in time to sort the problem. The chap I had an 'in principle' conversation with at HMRC didn't suggest a payment plan, he just confirmed my suspicion that they'd never know (especially as this was our first year of trading, so no pattern established). He did say that not paying HMRC was a Very Bad Idea, and that he couldn't possibly recommend the course of action I was proposing!

So, although I think it's likely to be a bit of a nightmare in its implementation, in principle I can see that submitting details of the actual amounts due WHEN they are due is a good idea. I imagine that some small businesses think they'll be able to find the money at year end, with the triumph of hope over experience!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport