Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Changes to SkyHD/3D

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
19 replies 2.3K views
marcowilmarcowil Forumite
687 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Can't find this posted anywhere so...

According to Broadcast magazine (http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/sky-launches-new-pack-to-boost-3d/5052144.article)

Sky has introduced a new basic tier TV subscription designed to drive uptake of its 3D channel.

As revealed by Broadcast, Entertainment Extra + will offer subscribers access to 3D entertainment content such as Galapagos via the linear Sky 3D channel and on-demand service.
3D sports and film content will be blocked for Entertainment Extra + customers – remaining accessible only by the broadcaster’s top tier Sky World subscribers.
The £31.50 per month pack, which launches in April, sits alongside the existing Entertainment and Entertainment Extra packs and also includes access to 45 HD channels.
Currently subscribers to the Entertainment and Entertainment Extra packs, who pay £21.50 and £26.50 per month respectively, must pay an additional £10.25 for access to the HD channels but this will be cut to £5.25 from April.
As part of the changes Sky will move its archive library of shows exclusively onto the new Entertainment Extra + pack.
Sky’s brand director of TV products Luke Bradley-Jones said in a blog post that the new pack was designed to convert SD homes into 3D and HD homes.
“More than 4.5 million of our customers take HD from Sky. This number continues to grow strongly, with around half a million customers taking HD in the last year alone,” he said.
“Despite this strong growth, we know that some customers who just take an entertainment TV pack from Sky feel that that they wouldn’t get full value from the existing £10.25 HD pack.
Sky customers with the new pack and a 3D TV will even be able to sample entertainment shows on Sky 3D, including the documentaries Galapagos with David Attenborough and Inside the Mind of Leonardo, featuring the actor Peter Capaldi.”
Around 400,000 Sky homes have called the broadcaster to activate the 3D channel, with the broadcaster estimating many more own a 3D TV.

Replies

• penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://corporate.sky.com/skyviews/sky_3d/introducing_a_new_tv_pack_to_help_even_more_customers_enjoy_tv_in_high_definition

From the horses mouth. ;)

I guess with the lower price HD pack SkySports F1 will disappear.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marcowil wrote: »
    Can't find this posted anywhere so...

According to Broadcast magazine (http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/sky-launches-new-pack-to-boost-3d/5052144.article)

Sky has introduced a new basic tier TV subscription designed to drive uptake of its 3D channel.

As revealed by Broadcast, Entertainment Extra + will offer subscribers access to 3D entertainment content such as Galapagos via the linear Sky 3D channel and on-demand service.
    3D sports and film content will be blocked for Entertainment Extra + customers – remaining accessible only by the broadcaster’s top tier Sky World subscribers.
    The £31.50 per month pack, which launches in April, sits alongside the existing Entertainment and Entertainment Extra packs and also includes access to 45 HD channels.
    Currently subscribers to the Entertainment and Entertainment Extra packs, who pay £21.50 and £26.50 per month respectively, must pay an additional £10.25 for access to the HD channels but this will be cut to £5.25 from April.
    As part of the changes Sky will move its archive library of shows exclusively onto the new Entertainment Extra + pack.
    Sky’s brand director of TV products Luke Bradley-Jones said in a blog post that the new pack was designed to convert SD homes into 3D and HD homes.
    “More than 4.5 million of our customers take HD from Sky. This number continues to grow strongly, with around half a million customers taking HD in the last year alone,” he said.
    “Despite this strong growth, we know that some customers who just take an entertainment TV pack from Sky feel that that they wouldn’t get full value from the existing £10.25 HD pack.
    Sky customers with the new pack and a 3D TV will even be able to sample entertainment shows on Sky 3D, including the documentaries Galapagos with David Attenborough and Inside the Mind of Leonardo, featuring the actor Peter Capaldi.”
    Around 400,000 Sky homes have called the broadcaster to activate the 3D channel, with the broadcaster estimating many more own a 3D TV.

sneaky bawbags
    I called to cancel the other day and was offered half price HD for 12 months as an incentive!
    glad I declined!
  • I just took half price HD for 6 months! Does that mean my HD pack will remain at £5.25 once the 6 month offer is up?
  • marcowilmarcowil Forumite
    687 Posts
    ✭✭
    I just took half price HD for 6 months! Does that mean my HD pack will remain at £5.25 once the 6 month offer is up?
    I think you will have to ring to get moved to the Entertainment Extra + package but as it launches tomorrow (supposedly) we will know more then
  • Gordon_HoseGordon_Hose Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Already on the Entertainment + package.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Already on the Entertainment + package.
    Entertainment Extra + only launches tomorrow. I'm certain you won't have to pay £10.25 once your 6 month offer ends, but to be sure I'd ring Sky to confirm.
    6.3K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sorry, yes... I have Entertainment Extra, Movies Pack, HD Pack.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Sorry, yes... I have Entertainment Extra, Movies Pack, HD Pack.
    If you have Movies or Sport (or both) you'll have to pay £10.25 for HD once your half price offer ends. The Entertainment Extra+ package is a cut down version of the HD pack which allows only limited access to High Definition services.
    You'll have to cancel Movies in order to pay the reduced rate.
    6.3K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    They don't like to make it easy, do they!
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They don't like to make it easy, do they!
    The new package is for those who want HD on the general entertainment channels only. I think it's a step in the right direction to be honest.
    As for your situation, you are already taking advantage of a half price offer so you're hardly missing out.
    I think it'll be quite some time before HD on premium channels becomes any cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.