cheapest way to get married abroad

Options

Comments

• jadex91
    jadex91 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I have read on this thread people are getting married in the caribbean etc for a few hundred pounds, can anyone help me as where to start? Do I email hotels or find a planner or what? I want to get married end of 2014 or end of 2015 in the Caribbean and will only have about 10 guests maximum, but they will pay for themselves for their flights and hotel, but we would like a meal for all of us etc, and want it as cheap as possible? Any ideas? X
  • HSS_2
    HSS_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Not as glamorous I know, but our plan was to go to Jersey for a few days- there is a lovely hotel, 5 star, lake, black swans.... get married there and THEN fly out to warmer climes.
    It proved easier to vet things in Jersey than farther afield- like accommodation, venue, meal for us afterwards, maybe a few flowers, a photographer for an hour or so..
    But over time we decided that we DID want just a handful of people with us after all. Then one of them was too ill to travel, so we moved it back to where we live. Having a small wedding in a nice Tudor gatehouse, dinner afterwards but no 'reception'. Then we're going to what we booked abroad for a honeymoon.
    It still works for us, as we already "proved" that we only want a few there, hence avoiding the usual politics of "we need to invite so and so even though we don't like them..."
    Good luck- and congrats!
    :T
  • GlamGirlie
    Options
    Jadex91 wrote: »
    Hi I have read on this thread people are getting married in the caribbean etc for a few hundred pounds, can anyone help me as where to start? Do I email hotels or find a planner or what? I want to get married end of 2014 or end of 2015 in the Caribbean and will only have about 10 guests maximum, but they will pay for themselves for their flights and hotel, but we would like a meal for all of us etc, and want it as cheap as possible? Any ideas? X

If you go into a Kuoni shop you can get a personalised quote for a holiday with free Caribbean wedding included.
    I am employed as a manager in a financial services institution. My views are entirely my own.
  • Ldjhbas
    Options
    HiWe holiday in Alcudia, Majorca at least twice a year.. Cheap and cheerful and we love it! We know exactly what we want to do but no idea how to go about it!! We want to get married on the beach then just go back to the local restaurant for a nice meal with our guests who will be not very many!! And that's it! The transport from hotel.. They have a boat which I'm sure we can hire to take us to the beach.. Have it decorated with flowers etc then horse and carriage back up to the restaurant again im sure they would decorate for us etc.. We don't want anything else! We'll stay at our normal self catering apartment so can prob sort out restaurant booking and transport ourselves just don't know how to book the actual ceremony on the beach or if indeed we can!! And we don't speak the languge either so would need someone to do that for us.. Anyone have any advice please? Oh we want to do it June 2014/2015!!!
  • multiskilled
    Options
    hi what website are the weddings in Cyprus on please
  • Kulafey
    Kulafey Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone got married in Romania? We want to get married in Transylvania, having fallen in love with the place on a recent holiday, but from what I've read, the general advice seems to be to get married legally in the UK and then have a "ceremony" in Romania - but I don't really see the point - there'd only be us and 2 witnesses. We may as well just get married in the Uk and go to Romania on honeymoon - but I'd love to get married there - its so "fairytale" :)
    Any idea anyone how difficult it actually is to do it legally there, we're both UK citizens and will be be divorced (please god, hurry it up!!!)
  • Kimmie26
    Kimmie26 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Apart from the obvious places like kuoni and Virgin does anyone have experience getting married in Canada? We wouldn't be looking until next year but want to get an idea of prices so we can start saving up. I've done a google but personal experience is always a bonus with these things. It would just be the two of us, very simple on the back of an already planned holiday.

Also, when you book through the likes if kuoni or virgin are you paying just for the wedding or the hotel/flights too? I suspect it is just the wedding but wanted to clarify!
    Wins

2009 - Polaroid Sunglasses 2010 - Year's supply lavazza coffee, Triumph limited edition "Underskin" bra and knicker set! 2011 - Ipod Nano, various Harris paintbrushes 2012 - Rubis Chocolate Wine 2013 - Wildfox Couture Necklace
  • missrush
    Options
    I understand most of the ins and outs of the Spanish marriage laws but does anyone know if someone who is ordained goes with us can marry us without having to get the civil ceremony done here? or even who I ask about this? cheers
  • Martina1309
    Options
    Hi,

I got married in Cyprus last year, and after doing a lot of searching about before hand, came to the conclusion that all-in, its probably the easiest and cheapest place to get wed in the world.

The actual wedding costs about £200 (a bit less..i cant remember exactly) We had a flashy two week stay in an all-inclusive hotel (so, you could stay cheaper if you wanted...rent an appartment or something..and have your honeymoon night in a flashy hotel) I had an averagely priced wedding dress and all the trimmings, he had a lovely hired wedding suit, we had 10 family members come over with us (no friends were invited...that was the whole reason of doing it abroad for us... we've got far too many friends and we didnt want a mahoooosive wedding in the Uk that we'd be paying off for 60 years!) we had a lovely reception/meal with our guests in a gorgeous local restaurant... the whole shebang cost us about £3.5k (and the overwhelming majority of that price was the actual holiday) We went through Olympic holidays.... if i did it again i would def NOT do it through a holiday company, i would organise it all myself (i pretty much did all that anyway!) They organised my wedding day transport and gorgeous flowers, cake etc etc. There is a brilliant website dedicated just to Cyprus weddings... it has everything you need to know about organising your own wedding in Cyprus, let me know if you want the address.
    could you let me know more about the wedding in Cyprus please. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport