cheapest way to get married abroad

Options

Comments

• terrywaite
    Options
    We got married in Dubrovnik last year and found this site excellent for helping us save a few bob. We set up an account with the Post Office fx service which provides the best exchange rates with zero fees. Saved a fortune when paying our wedding planner, hotel and local wine company.

We used Dubrovnik Luxury Weddings, a local wedding planner who were superb and I would highly recommend using a local wedding planning service.

We avoided buying our wine through the hotel where we had the reception as it was extortionate. Instead we used a local wine wholesaler who we found through an internet search. they were excellent and can be found if you search vino.hr.

With regards the entertainment we saved a few bob there too. I have many years experience in DJ'ing and music programming (and run (mypartymix.co.uk) so I simply did a 3.5 hour mix of music that the guests had requested via the RSVPs, loaded it onto an iPod and we just played it on the day. A friend is in a band so he did an acoustic set before the mix and then everyone took to the dancefloor, after the first dance of course!
  • Shell456
    Options
    k88aab wrote: »
    Hi DJones, me and my oh booked our wedding last year for October 2013, and knew we wanted to go abroad but had no idea where we wanted to go. We went and got lots of brochures and had a look through them and on the internet, trip advisor was quite helpful. We decided on Cyprus in October so it would be cooler as we have a little girl to consider and it just seemed the best all rounder for what we wanted, not too far to travel for family and friends, no need to have documents translated either. When I went to one travel agent she said the laws had just changed for marrying in Greece and it sounds like there would be hidden costs etc so that put us off! We've booked through a travel agent and have a wedding co-ordinator in Cyprus to help us - included in the wedding package fee. Each country has different requirements i.e how many days you have to be in the country before they will marry you for visa requirements, whether you need a stat dec to declare you are free to marry to be done by a solicitor in this country, so that's an added expense - we do need these doing and haven't got any quotes yet, but have spoken to people that have had them done and depending where you go cost between £50 - £120 - just have to shop around, translation of documents if required. When I was looking into different countries some countries required the bride and groom to have a medical and blood tests before the wedding - not sure exactly what for. There are quite a lot of things to consider - hope this helps a little!
    Hi can anyone give me any advice were looking at getting married in either Cyprus or Greece next year and not sure where to start. I'm going down the travel agents at the weekend but any advice on websites or things to look out for would be great. Thanks xxx
  • reillyfr
    Options
    Hi We planned on getting married soon at home but we are away on a cruise at the moment around South America and are wondering if there is any way we can just get married while we are away? We are from Scotland and wonder if anyone knows how we can do this, we have passports but that's it but can get copies of divorce cerificates etc emailed to us
  • jojo.smith
    Options
    My oh and me have decided to get married in Cyprus but have no idea where to start????? we have about 15 people coming as well as myself, my other half and our 3 children.... its not until 2015 but want to get a rough idea of places to get married as we would like it on the beach, it has to be in the school holidays as we have a few children coming, we was thinking the October school holiday but not sure if its still going to be warm... does anyone know the best travel agents to book through for the best experience on a limited budget???? All help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  • soga
    soga Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    evilwitch wrote: »
    we're getting married in vegas on 15th June. Marriage ceremony is $199. License is $55. ministers tip is $50 so is a couple of hundred UKP

We were going there anyway as part of a round the world trip we're doing so haven't got the flights factored into the cost.

Will be just me and Oh and the 2 kids. Fantastic. Can't wait now
    Wow,really cheap. In China,getting the marriage license just need 9RMB=$1.4481,maybe now is free. However, if you want to get married,you should buy your own house.
  • Ci_Lou
    Ci_Lou Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi !
    I have been reading all of your posts and hope you will make your dream to marry abroad come true !
    I'm a French girl (26 years old) living in France and thinking about becoming a wedding-planner dedicated to foreigners (English-speaking people) who would like to marry in France.

I could provide help on requirements, paperwork, processes, locations, etc. for weddings in France.

As I am not established yet, I would like to help (for free!) a couple who would like to marry in France so that I will help to oragnize my first "International wedding". We could talk thanks to Skype or a phone and I could also send you information by mail.

Would one of you be interested? If so you can send me a mail: maiscommentfontelles@gmail.com

Thanks a bunch and I hope that you will have a wonderful time getting married !
    Lou
  • Hurley101
    Options
    Hello I was wondering if any of you lovely people could suggest any nice places abroad to get married. We have two little boys and money is tight so we though tying in getting married with a family holiday was the way forward. We are in the very early stages of planning and hope to do as much as we can ourselves (to save money). We were kind of thinking somewhere like Cyprus due to weather and pretty scenery. I have read lots of reviews on here and found them helpful. A lot are quite old though so was just a bit weary things may have changed. Any advice greatly appreciated x
  • angelil
    angelil Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ci_Lou wrote: »
    Hi !
    I have been reading all of your posts and hope you will make your dream to marry abroad come true !
    I'm a French girl (26 years old) living in France and thinking about becoming a wedding-planner dedicated to foreigners (English-speaking people) who would like to marry in France.

I could provide help on requirements, paperwork, processes, locations, etc. for weddings in France.

As I am not established yet, I would like to help (for free!) a couple who would like to marry in France so that I will help to oragnize my first "International wedding". We could talk thanks to Skype or a phone and I could also send you information by mail.

Would one of you be interested? If so you can send me a mail: [EMAIL="maiscommentfontelles@gmail.com"]maiscommentfontelles@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks a bunch and I hope that you will have a wonderful time getting married !
    Lou
    As you'll know already, then, marriage in France is not possible without residency. So any "ceremony" you could arrange would be purely symbolic and have no legal meaning, meaning that the couple would have already had to marry in the UK. So what's the point?

I got married in France. I live in and pay taxes in France, and speak French. My husband is French. It was still difficult. So believe me...I know.
  • luees
    luees Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    We're hoping to get married in Tanzania but to be honest I haven't a clue where to start. Any advice much appreciated :)
  • GlamGirlie
    GlamGirlie Posts: 432 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    bobblebot wrote: »
    we want to get married abroad, to have a fairly low key affair, can't be bothered with the whole pleasing family with lavish wedding affair. Limited funds so as cheap as poss. Any ideas where to go?, who to book with and how we go about it.
    Thanks in advance
    Oh in August this year

Lots of the Caribbean hotels offer free weddings. You just need your dress etc.

http://www.kuoni.co.uk/weddings-abroad/free-wedding
    I am employed as a manager in a financial services institution. My views are entirely my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure