Would you buy horsemeat if it saved you cash?

Options

Comments

• aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    mattytun wrote: »
    Support your local butchers & dont buy crap food cheap frozen food

Spend little extra but eat less............get up exercise and that makes you want to eat more healthily.

you get what you pay for............................job done

Yes, because 'local butchers' are always honest, law abiding businesses, aren't they?

Cane rat meat 'sold to public' in Ridley Road Market

Farmers and butchers illegally selling meat as organic

Butchers fined for misleading the public over origin of meat
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! I don't care! I'm sick and tired of seeing this on the news. Can't we just move on?
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've eaten horse meat many years ago when I visited France. It was the cheapest meat dish on the menu and very nice too. If I had the choice between horse and beef I would choose horse even if they were the same price.

The difference is of course that we don't like to eat our pets and we have animals which are specifically farmed for meat production. But that unreasonable moralising means that a lot of meat which is fit for human consumption goes down the drain.

Probably hard for a young girl who discovers that her beloved pony, Rosie is now a steak on a dinner table but hey I'd eat it.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've kept horses, and eaten horse meat on many occasions. For those that say horses are pets I've also kept rabbits as pets, and eaten rabbit, likewise people keep chickens, and eat chicken, and so on... With the exception of vegetarians/vegans I can't see why there's so much fuss, surely the answer is don't buy cheap, processed 'food' because you will never know what it contains, particularly on this topic, meat by-products. Read the labels, can you honestly say you know and understand what half or more of the contents of pre-packaged, processed food is? If not, why are you putting it into your bodies? Fresh food, be it from the butcher or in a plastic tray in the supermarket, has got to be better than all the carp in a box.
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    sparrer wrote: »
    I've kept horses, and eaten horse meat on many occasions. For those that say horses are pets I've also kept rabbits as pets, and eaten rabbit, likewise people keep chickens, and eat chicken, and so on... With the exception of vegetarians/vegans I can't see why there's so much fuss, surely the answer is don't buy cheap, processed 'food' because you will never know what it contains, particularly on this topic, meat by-products. Read the labels, can you honestly say you know and understand what half or more of the contents of pre-packaged, processed food is? If not, why are you putting it into your bodies? Fresh food, be it from the butcher or in a plastic tray in the supermarket, has got to be better than all the carp in a box.

I agree. We eat very little processed meat.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    How about an option," I'd pay extra as it's so healthy and has such a good flavour"?
  • Ravenshade
    Options
    I voted for a 25% mark down. This is because I do not think that it is worth the same as beef. I personally do not believe that I would have major reservations about eating it. It's safe to eat (mostly, but that's where other regulation kicks in).

Personally, adding another meat to the market I think would increase competition between the main meats. Though I suspect not that many are going to jump on the band wagon.

I'm actually surprised that they find it cheaper to supplement beef with horse meat. I mean, horses aren't particularly cheap to keep, nor are they efficient. I suspect it is because of the premium we give to beef.
    Be Warned: Any decision made by ATOS should be treated with the contempt and suspicion in rightly deserves. If in any doubt, make sure to appeal any and all decisions by ATOS. Do not take their word for it, do not give them an inch of trust.

When judging if ATOS were fit for work, it looks like they self-assessed. //Rant-Disclaimer End.
  • kanimisso99
    Options
    As far as I know, horse meat is eaten in most countries in the world except English speaking countries (UK, Ireland, US, Australia, etc). I think the general impression of non-English people (including me) is horse meat tastes better than beef and is more luxury food. Although many countries do not eat it as their main meat nowadays, quality horse meat has been a gastronomic delight and always more expensive than quality beef.

I therefore felt strange that there was no option 'Horse meat needs to be more expensive than beef'.
  • Missli
    Missli Posts: 7,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, only if it tasted nice, and wasn't pimped full of ketamine, etc.

I only eat meat the odd time, so always quality over quantity. For economy, I bulk out with veg, and/or red lentils. I rarely bought minced beef products as nearly always prepared my own using sourced 100% steak mince.

I have nothing against eating horse as such, as another grazing animal such as deer, or cow.
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd pay more for horse meat, it tastes nicer. This is presuming it's all been prepared properly of course.

There isn't a meat I wouldn't try if given the option.

I've also tried guinea pig before (as mentioned earlier in the thread) but wouldn't have it again. I didn't particularly like the flavour, there wasn't much meat and it was a fairly expensive dish for Peru.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure