Would you buy horsemeat if it saved you cash?

Options

Comments

• stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    I really underestimated the strength of feeling on this. I thought people just weren't that bothered, but clearly they are, according to the poll.

For my part, I'd be quite happy with horse at the same price provided it's the same quality. Had it once in France and it seemed fine. It's just meat, there's not that much difference between a horse and a cow is there??
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    No option for "maybe".
  • dawny10
    dawny10 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I've had horse in France and it's fine, similar to beef but perhaps a slightly richer taste.

I really cannot understand how anyone who eats meat says they would not eat horse even if it was free (current top poll result!). If you are going on cuteness/likeability of the animal surely no-one would eat lamb!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pmarmalade wrote: »
    Would have to try horse meat first to decide (regardless of price) so haven't voted - but shows I'm open to trying it I guess!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You probably already have and didn't notice.

Horses are pets, the same as dogs and cats so no, I would never even dream of eating it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • DoggerDan
    Options
    I have knowingly bought and eaten horse meat when in Europe. if it was on sale in the UK from a reputable shop I would buy it here.

I wouldn't buy economy burgers from anywhere & those brands & stores which clearly don't know what is in their own products are best avoided.
  • busiscoming2
    Options
    I'd probably buy and eat it if I and my family liked the taste. I don't have a problem with it. it's just another animal.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yes I would buy horse meat, no it does not have to be cheaper.
    The issue with the latest fiasco is that people are being sold something which they are not getting, perils of buying pre packed and ready meals you do not know exactly what goes into it.
    And for now until we are told otherwise fresh meat is as we expect it to be (for now!!!) so we know what we are buying.
    I do not agree that only meat from your local butcher is reputable and known exactly where it comes from and also always the best quality (that being the case why are so many butchers selling trays and tray of cheap meat offers rather than going to the counter and picking exactly what you want/need).

I guess ultimately we the shopper have to stop demanding bulk, cheap and foods out of season, yes we have variety but these days not quality or taste and meats are pumped with water etc!
    Even my local Farmshops that charge the earth do not sell meat that lives up to expectations of the higher prices!
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • trukdiver
    Options
    dawny10 wrote: »
    I've had horse in France and it's fine, similar to beef but perhaps a slightly richer taste.

I really cannot understand how anyone who eats meat says they would not eat horse even if it was free (current top poll result!). If you are going on cuteness/likeability of the animal surely no-one would eat lamb!

or venison, or rabbit, or duck...

I saw a programme were they gave people cheap burgers and asked them what they thought of them. Then they told them the burgers contained heart and a lot of them went "yuk". It was still cow meat but they thought it was disgusting!
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd probably give it a go if it were farmed or bred with being eaten in mind, killed humanely and butchered hygienically. I wouldn't buy the flesh of some old nag butchered in some dodgy Romanian slaughterhouse and transported in conditions of dubious hygiene.
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    trukdiver wrote: »
    or venison, or rabbit, or duck...

I saw a programme were they gave people cheap burgers and asked them what they thought of them. Then they told them the burgers contained heart and a lot of them went "yuk". It was still cow meat but they thought it was disgusting!

Or guinea pid, or hamster, if you're unfortunate enough to be a Mexican. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport