Cancelling TV licence?

Hello all,

Not sure this is the right forum area to post in, but first time here!

Basically, I signed up to do monthly direct debit payments for our TV licence in our new address. This was because I couldn't afford, along with moving costs, to pay the full thing up front or the quarterly charge if I'd gone for that arrangement. I pay according to the agreement below (from TV licence website):

"You'll usually pay for your first licence within six months, in instalments of around £24 per month. (If we have to spread the cost into four or five monthly instalments, each payment may be slightly higher). From then on, you pay for your licences in 12 monthly instalments of just over £12 - six before your licence is due and six after."

What I want to know is whether or not I could cancel after the first TV licence is paid off (June by my calculation) - we are renting and have no idea if we will be here to need the next TV licence! Also, I'm loathe to pay for this in advance, I see no reason why I should be forced to pay for something I don't need to use. And that £12 a month would be very welcome in my pocket instead of the government's.

Comments

• we are renting and have no idea if we will be here to need the next TV licence!
    If you do move, you'll get a refund (or a credit on your license for the next address you move to)
  • Heinz wrote: »
    The money goes to the BBC, not the government.

Thanks for that clarification and thanks so much for answering my question....
  • If you do move, you'll get a refund (or a credit on your license for the next address you move to)

Thanks for that! Good to know I'm not just throwing money away.

Is there no way I can just cancel payments - will I be in trouble, even if I've got a current licence?
  • Is there no way I can just cancel payments - will I be in trouble, even if I've got a current licence?
    You can't just cancel as you'll be in breach of contract. If you want this arrangement to end it has to be agreed mutually with TV licensing.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 February 2013 at 12:13AM
    You can cancel whenever you like. Just tell TVL what you want to do.

By default, I think, they will set a future end date for your existing licence based on your over-payments so far. Or you can have a refund and cease the licence sooner. Once you have no licence, you won't be able to legally watch/record TV broadcasts. But you can still use DVDs, Video Games, Video Download and Catch-up services.

Is it me, or are people reluctant to ask these sorts of questions of TVL. It's almost like they don't trust them, or something. :(

You can't just cancel as you'll be in breach of contract. If you want this arrangement to end it has to be agreed mutually with TV licensing.

This is good advice. In some cases, TVL have let the debt collector dogs loose on people who have cancelled their DDs without telling them.
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    You can cancel whenever you like. Just tell TVL what you want to do.
    Yes, as long as the OP contacts TV licensing and agrees the change, it's perfectly acceptable to cease the payment arrangement.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Indeed. What's the best way to put it?

They make the rules, but you (the customer) decide how you want to pay. Or even, if you want to pay. That is your prerogative.
  • Thanks for all the help. Will ring them up once I've paid for the first tv licence and ask to cancel the direct debit, then will probably pay up front for the next one in January - it seems the simplest way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure