We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Dell hard drive failing - replace or buy a new one?

Hi all, am not super with pc stuff but understand basics - I have a dell vostro 3700 laptop, it is roughly 2 years old..

Recently it has been running slow, and now is struggling to boot up I keep getting repeated error messages and after googling them it appears the hard drive is on its way out! I £30 and having a look around its around £60 for a new hard drive - the laptop belonged to my ex and has not cost me anything to buy, so am thinking now do I bother replacing hard drive or just buy a new laptop? Am interested in peoples thoughts! (I have a friend who can transfer over and install the hard drive so will cost me probably nothing other than about a tenner in petrol going to their house!)
I love food, hate waste and have a penchant for sparkly things ::D

Trying to find a work life balance...:rotfl:
«1

Comments

  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2013 at 2:23PM
    what messages

    a 2 year old machine should have plenty of life left in it.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    what he said.

    Depending on the above, I would personally buy a 2.5in sata hdd if its a sata, as you said it was only 2years old I would expect it to be.

    according to novatech,
    a hdd for the same size 250gb would be £31.98
    for 320gb its £35.99
    for 500gb its £40.99
    see list/link
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrives-internal/2.5inchharddrive/?o=1
  • if you havent already back up your data now, if the hard drive does die then you may loose everything on that laptop.
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Any usual sounds from the drive? Clicking, more whizzing etc......

    I second back up the important stuff ASAP.

    Also have a look at the SSD hard drives as a replacement, I recently got a new desktop with one in and it's super fast.
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • AHAR
    AHAR Posts: 984 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Being a Dell you should be able to access some built-in hardware diagnostic tests from the boot menu - hit F12 when the Dell logo appears after turning on.
  • thanks all - have been looking in shops at replacement drives ..

    tried to do a backup this morning but 2nd disk failed....then tried a windows backup and I had to leave to go to a friends, so took it in the car with me but it turned itself off....! Going to try again later when I am at home..

    ahar - I did run diagnostic tests, can't remember what error code was but I did copy it into google and it gave general opinion was the hard drive

    Is annoying as doesn't do it everytime..is getting frustrating!
    I love food, hate waste and have a penchant for sparkly things ::D

    Trying to find a work life balance...:rotfl:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Have you not checked the warranty? If 'roughly' two years old then it may well be still in a extended Dell warranty.
    Put the service tag no. into the Dell support site and it will tell you instantly.
    Crazy to buy a new laptop just because of drive failure.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • KD19
    KD19 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Yes, worth swapping out the hard-drive for a new one. Just a quick check on Amazon, you can get a Dell Travelstar HD 320GB for £33 delivered.

    A few other HD's around for similar price, a little more would get you a better HD if you need it.
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Personally I wouldnt go for the SSD as pinkypants suggested.
    gb over price.
    SSprices. 64gb for £44 sandisk / Crucial £56 and up
    compare that with the prices for sata,
    500gb for £41 and windows 7 would take 10-15gb on installation.
    no contest really. especially if you like your music and movie on the go.
    Would soon fill up 64gb.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    andy2004 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt go for the SSD as pinkypants suggested.
    gb over price.

    Depends what you're doing. They're spiffy fast. A two year old laptop with an SSD will probably outperform anything new. And you can get 128GB SSDs for eighty quid these days.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.