Storage Heater Getting Too Hot ?...Hlp pls

Options

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In which case they were not installed correctly.
    They should never ever be connected to the normal mains supply. They should be connected to a dedicated switched circuit, which only comes on during the cheap rate period.
    If they are getting power during the day there is a fault.
    They are automatic they do not need switching on and off manually.

Get an electrician.

As a final thought, have a look at their electricity bills, particularly the day rate and night rate usage.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2013 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Hi,

if it's only started recently, could be that the time switch is stuck on night rate and coincidentally the control assembly has also stuck closed, meaning heater is on constant charge.

Edit: If the heater has this type of switch, when switched on, the neon should only glow during the E7 hours, 12/1am 7/8am.

PRW052p.jpg
  • thistledome
    thistledome Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both.

frugal, it does have that kind of socket. The neon light is on when the socket is switched on and it flickers slightly, is that normal?
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • penrhyn
    Options
    Yes neons tend to do this as they age. BTW Have you checked when the light is on and off during the day
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks both.

frugal, it does have that kind of socket. The neon light is on when the socket is switched on and it flickers slightly, is that normal?

just to clarify, if it's like the one in my picture, then it will be wired in, if it's in a socket (like kettle/tv) then it'll have a plug and will on wrong circuit, so could be live constantly.
  • thistledome
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Yes neons tend to do this as they age. BTW Have you checked when the light is on and off during the day

Can't say I've noticed this light ever being off when the socket is switched on, regardless of the time of day/night. I could be wrong. It's possible that it's off and I haven't noticed. I have seen it being on at many different times of day and night.
    Hi,

just to clarify, if it's like the one in my picture, then it will be wired in, if it's in a socket (like kettle/tv) then it'll have a plug and will on wrong circuit, so could be live constantly.

Yes, it's wired in. There's no plug. I just called it a socket because I don't know the right term.
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • thistledome
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    As a final thought, have a look at their electricity bills, particularly the day rate and night rate usage.

I'll try. She's on a fixed monthly payment regardless of electricity used and usually throws the bills away. Perhaps because she's on this type of fixed payment, the Economy 7 isn't used anymore? Could the electric company have done this and that's why the heater draws power in the daytime?
  • penrhyn
    Options
    Get an electrician to look at the system. Storage heaters are not designed to be run 24/7.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    "Could the electric company have done this and that's why the heater draws power in the daytime?" - - only with her instruction

"malfunctioning electrics ?" - - possible but 99% unlikely

"tariff ? " - - 99% not E7 but the expensive day rate

"fuse link and the control assembly" - - did you do it ?

- the input as others have said should not work at all during the day
    - get your friend to do the 34 mile round trip and get a grip on her tariff
    - whatever happens she is on the wrong tariff for her heating system
    - find out what she has done to change tariff recently not the 90's
    - you now need a sparky to verify the electric system
    - I hope no madman has bodged this to the 13a ring !
    - even if the lecccy company changed her tariff from E7 the 20a storage heater circuit has been changed over

Before you spend on a fuse link and the control assembly a brand new 3.4 kW delivered to pavement is about £320.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • thistledome
    edited 12 February 2013 at 10:22PM
    Options
    OK, quick update. Not much to report, but sparks has been and prescribed a new thermostat. I don't think she mentioned the thing about the heater being able to draw current during the day, but I have told her to ask him to check it.

Not sure about the tarrif thing, as I said she is on a special scheme for oldies where they pay a fixed monthly amount regardless of how much electric they use. Will pop in on Thursday and see what's going on.

Thanks for your help guys :)

EDIT:
    My OH has just said he thinks the electric co. took out the E7 meter when they put her on the fixed rate. So if he's right, does that mean that the heater may have become damaged by being on for too long? If they're only designed to be on for 12 hours a day?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure