We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Learning Programming - What path shall I take?

I'll keep my question simple. I'd love to be able to design quality HTML & WordPress sites, as well as Apps in the future. However, I have but an incredibly basic HTML knowledge, so where would I start to learn? I'd have to do it all online, but would it be best to do something as follows.

Learn HTML>Learn DreamWeaver/Photoshop Design>Learn WordPress Design

then,

Learn App programming language/design?

I'm a bit confused as to where to start.... could anyone help me out?

Thanks.
«13

Comments

  • For HTML look at http://www.w3schools.com/
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    davec1 wrote: »
    Learn HTML>Learn DreamWeaver/Photoshop Design>Learn WordPress Design

    then,

    Learn App programming language/design?

    I personally wouldn't bother with learning DreamWeaver - if you learn HTML and can hand code it then all you need is a basic text editor.

    I would add in learning PHP/MySQL as this will open you up to the potential of working on bespoke websites rather than just WordPress templates. PHP will also give you an introduction to a real programming language rather than using a mark-up language, making it a stepping stone to the languages used to develop apps (probably C or Java).
  • LucianH
    LucianH Posts: 445 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    gb12345 wrote: »
    all you need is a basic text editor.

    I've dabbled with PSPad which seems to be a reasonably good freeware editor.
    Never let it get you down... unless it really is as bad as it seems.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    LucianH wrote: »
    I've dabbled with PSPad which seems to be a reasonably good freeware editor.

    I currently use Notepad++, which again is freeware, but have also used Textpad in the past (which is trialware).

    They all broadly do the same thing, so it is really down to which one you are most comfortable with.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 February 2013 at 1:41AM
    Learn HTML/HTML5, Javascript and CSS, imo it will be far more useful than C++ and the like

    This will open up a whole world of possibilities - apps for windows, playbook etc can be written using it. Javascript is actually pretty powerful, and can be used in dev tools like Unity.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009WS8FCG/

    PDF Version

    http://go.microsoft.com/FWLink/?Linkid=270056
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/html5-offer.aspx

    Is also pretty useful to have. However it is quite advanced (you would need to understand javascript functions, regex and CSS quite a bit).
  • nathand_2
    nathand_2 Posts: 235 Forumite
    If you want to design as well as develop then my suggestion would be:

    Photoshop
    HTML
    CSS
    jQuery

    The above is enough for a good static site.

    If you then want to do WordPress you'll need to learn PHP + MySQL.

    If I were you I'd focus on design or development rather than both.

    Lynda.com have excellent resources but it is membership based
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Design or development, absolutely. Totally different disciplines, you cannot do both well as they require different types of brain (creative/flowery vs highly rational/linear). If you want to make money, be very good at one thing, not someone who makes a ham fist of several.

    Are you more rational/linear or creative/twirly? Do you *care* about rounded corners on boxes on websites, or just see them as a PITA and another 4 round trips for page assets before rendering?

    If you want to go technical, never underestimate the value of going back to base principles - if you understand binary, why it is important for computers, how to abstractly model data efficiently, etc you will eventually find you can analyse systems and really 'feel' them. It takes some years, but you can pull £300+/day when you're good and find your niche :-)
  • booler
    booler Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    If you want to learn how to code then stay away from WordPress, which is a content management system (as opposed to a web development system). If you want to specialise in WordPress and you are happy to limit yourself to this then go ahead. It can be used to create decent websites.
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Design or development, absolutely. Totally different disciplines, you cannot do both well as they require different types of brain (creative/flowery vs highly rational/linear). If you want to make money, be very good at one thing, not someone who makes a ham fist of several.
    It's not as clear cut as you suggest. I have been making a living doing web design and development since 2001. I do both and there are hundreds if not thousands of people in the UK doing the same. With regard to design, the Internet is the biggest crib sheet that has ever been created. ;)
    paddyrg wrote: »
    If you want to go technical, never underestimate the value of going back to base principles - if you understand binary, why it is important for computers, how to abstractly model data efficiently, etc you will eventually find you can analyse systems and really 'feel' them. It takes some years, but you can pull £300+/day when you're good and find your niche :-)
    I think it would be highly unusual for anyone to be able to teach themselves to this level. It could bedone with total and absolute dedication but some formal education is likely to be necessary. ;)

    Regarding your chances, I have to say that what you are doing is trying to get into a very competitive field where many people operate "on the side" without paying tax, etc. Making a career or a living from this is not easy nowadays.:(
    "Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    davec1 wrote: »
    I'll keep my question simple. I'd love to be able to design quality HTML & WordPress sites, as well as Apps in the future. However, I have but an incredibly basic HTML knowledge, so where would I start to learn?

    Not so long ago, building websites was the preserve of the techie, and you could only build them with 'the knowledge' - the keywords and tags.

    Along came Frontpage and a bundle of other WYSIWYG editors, and then anyone could build a site without knowing what any of the tags were.

    Now there's Wordpress and others which extend this further, and manage a lot of the process for the end-user.

    It's not too difficult to project this forward, and as people find it ever easier and easier to build their own websites and wordpress sites, what would you see yourself as being needed for?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.