oh my life...... Light Bulb moment.

Comments

• vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Just quickly read through your diary. I'll be subscribing...

With regards to food shopping - this is one of the easiest ways to cutback btw - do you meal plan for the week? If you spend a little bit longer on it, shopping around and checking mysupermarket etc for best deals you could still get all the wonderful food you love AND be able to pay a bit more off your debt. It would just cost you a little bit of your time each week.

I also found making a payment a day (PADding) really helpful when paying off my debt. I just used to round down my balance to the nearest £ and pay it off the credit card. You don't notice such a small amount but makes all the difference to the balance. There's a challenge on the Deft Free Diaries board.

Best of luck!
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • MiMi66
    MiMi66 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks Polesalot - PADding? I ahven't heard of that, and when you say round down your balance do you mean your current account and pay under a £1 to the (evil laugh) credit cards? It's a good idea and i shall try it from next month - it will make my credit card statements look long and interesting when they come in!

Ah the supermarkets - see, I have a personal vendetta against them - which is a a pain as they really are cheaper places to buy food. but I do have to think and maybe use farmers markets more rather than deli's and yes - meal plan.... I am goingtotry adn do the use up your store cupboard thing the next few weeks (who am I kidding I probably have enough stores to get by for a month on...not really, but my cupboards are stuffed full...not good) I really shoould be able to get by for a couple of weeks with only topping up fruit and vegetables,bread and a bit of meat (not huge meat eaters). And the added bonus is I might skinny down a bit, as I have comfort chomped my way through the past few years too :-) It would be good to be under 9 stone rather than the 10 stone something or other I am (or is tht really 10 stone 13 pounds - how did that happen ?- all that FOOD!) Anyway mustn't risk turning this into a diet forum, that would be almost as grim as a debt forum....

Actually, I spent time tonight rereading all the good advice and positive good wishes people here have given me and I have to say it has helped me get started on this journey, so a huge thank you to all who taken time to give me that advice - I am doing my best to apply it where I can.

Now bed for me I think!
    MiMi66 2023 and moving forward ☺️
    £38154 - DEBT FREE May 2021
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    MiMi66 wrote: »
    Thanks Polesalot - PADding? I ahven't heard of that, and when you say round down your balance do you mean your current account and pay under a £1 to the (evil laugh) credit cards? It's a good idea and i shall try it from next month - it will make my credit card statements look long and interesting when they come in!

Payment A Day :)

I keep a cashbook which tracks my spends so my balance never really reflects the same as the bank does but it IS more accurate in that I know that's what I have left. Every day I just used to round down my cashbook balance and pay by online banking to the credit card. So for example if the balance in my cashbook said I had £231.96 then I would 'PAD' 96p (or £1.96 if I was feeling generous :D) to the card. This was all on top of any monthly payment I would pay off. It's a good idea to get your credit card statements online too, that way it's more motivational to see the balance(s) coming down.
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • MiMi66
    Well - nearly mid month and I have just about run out of cash:-(. But at least I have that little bit saved by so I shall use that. I think the next two months are going to be tough ones with some outgoings happening, but I am determined to not add to the overall debt and still keep paying off £300-400 a month.

Arghhhhh - it's hard isn't it. I just wish I wasn't in this situation. I am looking forward to when the debt is below £20,000 - that will be in July which is just around the corner and will be a big win for me....psychologically at least. My aim is to get down to £18300 this year so I should acheive that I think.

I've managed to sell a few things - around £70 worth - which is going straight to my son's orthodontic fund. It's way off but I hope to have the deposit saved over this year and then pay in installments while he has the work done. Such a cost though - £2000, crazy for a few wires and tweeking of tension.

I am hoping to take the kids for a few days camping at half term (after I get paid) and hopefully can also cover the cost of a day out at the county show in June. So glad I managed to get that £1100 saved - it will be so needed through the summer.

Some how I need to try and get into not spending into my overdraft each onth - it gets paid back each month and the account goes into credit - but then I run out like I have again this month and the cycle continues. I just need one month without any additional bills and then I would be fine.

Feeling a little despondent about it all this evening but I think it is just a lull rather than a big dip. I am going to have a day pottering tomorrow - bit of baking of bread, bit of gardening and soem house work - always makes me feel like I have a bit more control over things so I expect I will feel better after all that.

Also the Star Trek film is out.....:-) I will try and take the kids to see it I think. My daughter has turned into massive Benedict Cumberbatch fan - so she'll be happy!
  • MiMi66
    This feels jsut so hopeless - I am going to be paid on Friday - So I can pay a further small lump off - the debt will get down to around £20160 I think. I am longing to be under £20 000 in debt. But I am struggling hard to make ends meet. Both thekids and myself need some fresh clothes - we are looking a bit ragged and worn. It is amazing how not adding the odd new thing to a wardrobe can start to add up and turn into looking tatty. I think I am being a bit sensitive though, so I shall try to not look at myself to closely. We have had to have haircuts - god that adds up and my daughters is still to come.

I have not build up any more debt - though the month to month credit card - which gets paid off in full each month has taken a hammering this month, but I am determined to not cave and add it to the overall 0% debt. It does mean I will chipping into the small savings again - thank god I got that money together. It will drop down but I shall build it up again.

I wonder if anyone else is trying to do it this way? I wonder if I should go and get a Zoopla type loan? I had become so comfortable in spending £400 plus a month more than I earnt on CC, and now not only not spending it but trying to pay it back at a similar amount is so tough - like a £800 a month pay cut. Ah, feeling sorry for myself.
    And to add insult to injury I then get thinking about my solo life as a single mum and thinking no man will ever want to get involved with me as 1. I have so much debt and 2. I have no money to have fun, entertain, go out with. Argghhhhhh.
  • DebtClearer
    DebtClearer Posts: 281 Forumite
    Ah I'm sure plenty of guys would like to see a caring woman like yourself!

Not entirely sure what you mean by the Zoopla loan but if all the debt is at 0% tht is good. Have you thought about what you will do when the 0% expires, can you get new deals?
    Also try lowering your credit limit when you can, that way it will ensure you are never ever tempted or even able to make those cards grow!
    Debtfree!

• MiMi66
    Thanks DebtClearer - nice to have a vote of confidence! I am a bit worried about the 0% thing actually and about to find out I guess. One of them expires in June and I shall have to move it - I am faced with perhaps having two debts on on of my cards both at 0% for differing periods - I worry I will get it muddled.

Zoopla is a organisation that offers loans at a slightly higher than bank rate for people who have been turned down by banks (me) and they rely on pother people putting up the money as an investment. Seems kosher.

I find I am equally aggrieved by Tesco's monopoly on food and the Big Banks having so many of us indebted to them .... I think I am about to turn into a grumpy woman and be waving banners about in protest at soem point. Doesn't modern western society all feel so sewn up by organsisations who influence us with how to live, what to buy, what we must do etc etc. Like a pressure cooker. Gosh I sound a rebel now.
  • julie2710
    julie2710 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    And to add insult to injury I then get thinking about my solo life as a single mum and thinking no man will ever want to get involved with me as 1. I have so much debt and 2. I have no money to have fun, entertain, go out with. Argghhhhhh.

MiMi66 I can totally sympathise with you on this one. I am in a fairly similar situation to you, only have more debt :(

I'm not sure how old you are either but I'm an older mum with young boys, 4 & 7. I've been on my own now for just short of 5 years now (3 weeks before DS2 was born). I've dated a couple of times in that time but then I take my eye off the debt ball. On top of that they turn out to be idiots too :eek: I'm becoming resigned to the fact that I will probably either be single for life or maybe once the boys are grown up I might meet someone at the Darby & Jones club as it feels as though it will take that long.

I have days where I'm really positive about getting everything sorted and then days when I think it's all just a drop in the ocean and it will never get any better.

You're doing really well though and I'm sure you'll meet someone when you least expect it. :o
    MBNA [STRIKE]£2,029[/STRIKE] £1,145 Virgin [STRIKE]£8,712[/STRIKE] £7,957 Sainsbury [STRIKE]£6,870[/STRIKE] £5,575 M&S [STRIKE]£10,016[/STRIKE] £9,690 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£11,951[/STRIKE] £11,628 CTC [STRIKE]£7,629[/STRIKE] £6,789 Mortgage £[STRIKE]182,828[/STRIKE] £171,670
    LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
    Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
    Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week £0 / YTD£1,457.55
  • MiMi66
    Thanks julie2710 - isn't it just the pits really! I am in my mid 40's with two teenagers and have been a solo parent for nearly 10 years - dated a bit in the early years alone but nothing now for 'snap' nearly 5 years. I feel very odd about it all - have become used to my own company and am a fairly competent woman - ah hum - maybe not financially:-) I would like someone to have a giggle with and put the world to rights, and possibly plan a future if it all felt right, but I don't seem to have a queue forming for my company.....

Much of my debt was accrued in the dating years - trying to keep up and look good - new clothes makeup etc etc.... It is definitely cheaper to 'abandon all hope'! :-)

We do sound in similar situations so here's a cyber hug to keep you going too!

My mortgage is slowly coming down.....only another 506 years to go.... :-)
  • DebtClearer
    DebtClearer Posts: 281 Forumite
    Thanks DebtClearer - nice to have a vote of confidence! I am a bit worried about the 0% thing actually and about to find out I guess. One of them expires in June and I shall have to move it - I am faced with perhaps having two debts on on of my cards both at 0% for differing periods - I worry I will get it muddled.

Zoopla is a organisation that offers loans at a slightly higher than bank rate for people who have been turned down by banks (me) and they rely on pother people putting up the money as an investment. Seems kosher.

I find I am equally aggrieved by Tesco's monopoly on food and the Big Banks having so many of us indebted to them .... I think I am about to turn into a grumpy woman and be waving banners about in protest at soem point. Doesn't modern western society all feel so sewn up by organsisations who influence us with how to live, what to buy, what we must do etc etc. Like a pressure cooker. Gosh I sound a rebel now.

You will notice a big difference once the 0% goes, not to worry you definitely plan for it if you can. Mine start to expire in Jan so I know around that time I'll have to start thinking about my next plan of action.

Tesco are annoying, have you thought about buying produce from somewhere like Morrisons? As an organisation they are a bit more sustainable and there produce is not only cheaper but usually of a better quality.
    Debtfree!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure