PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: House prices rising again, Halifax says

Options
"Month-on-month house prices fell in January, but quarterly prices have seen their biggest price increase in three years..."
Read the full story:

House prices rising again, Halifax says

OfficialStamp.gif

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Or alternatively,

'housing market in crisis as prices fall in january'

I dont even need to read the detail to know that both headlines are garbage
  • Harry_Boyle
    Options
    Great news for all those people who are stuck in negative equity.
  • Tancred
    Tancred Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Options
    It's ealry days for 2013 but there is certainly an upward move. Not a boom, but the market is definitely getting more lively.
  • sterl1ng
    sterl1ng Posts: 609 Forumite
    Options
    And challenging news for all us FTBs....bit like a neverending story building that infamous deposit.
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    sterl1ng wrote: »
    And challenging news for all us FTBs....bit like a neverending story building that infamous deposit.

Good to see that so many more 90% loans are now available too.

Are all of the house price indices now showing price growth in the market?
  • Tancred
    Tancred Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Options

90% deposits are available again - don't waste time building a biggger deposit than you need to get your foot on the ladder.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd like paras 2 - 4 clearly annotated with the source eg (Halifax).

Halifax is not flavour of the month for me right now and seems to be making more defensive moves than otherwise. Extra interest in the housing market is to their benefit and how best to bring that about? In short, I no longer 'trust' them.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Great news for all those people who are stuck in negative equity.

So any perceived reduction in their neg eq is more than offset by the rise in the house they would want to move to.
    Good news indeed!
  • sterl1ng
    sterl1ng Posts: 609 Forumite
    Options
    Tancred wrote: »
    90% deposits are available again - don't waste time building a biggger deposit than you need to get your foot on the ladder.

Yes but surely then I will have higher interest rate to pay versus say a 15% deposit?
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but surely then I will have higher interest rate to pay versus say a 15% deposit?

Marginally

But when you come to remortgage in (say) two years time, house prices will be 5-10% higher and you will have paid a chunk of your mortgage off - so the rates available for 15-20% deposit mortgages will be well within your grasp.

As for whether interest rates will rise over the next few years, I honestly doubt it until the recovery, in both house prices and the wider economy, is well underway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure