Best Discount Broker - S&S ISA's

I am new to S&S ISA's and would like to invest using a discount brokers. My aim is to open 2 ISA's, one for me and the other for my wife. We intend to invest a lump sum, then £500 per month thereafter. At the end of each year we will top up the ISA's to the max or as much as we can afford at the time. We will repeat the cycle each year for approximately 5 to 10 years.

I would like to identify a discount broker that will allow us to invest with the following in mind:
  1. Low broker/management fees, maximising investment
  2. Good tools to research, top up ISA, monitor and manage investments
  3. Easy transactions (money in and out of the account) through bank transfer and debit card
  4. Large selection of funds
  5. Good customer support/helpline
  6. Manage both accounts for my wife and me from a single account/login
There are a number of brokers that I am aware of H&L, Cavendish Online, Selftrade and more. I have recently been trading e-mails with H&L, but am still no further forward in trying to choose the broker that ticks all or most of the boxes without any experience in dealing with any of them.

Some pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• HL is not the cheapest, but do have good customer support and website.

cavendish may well be the cheapest (for relatively small amounts in funds), but it's a no-frills service (apparently - i haven't used them myself).
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    I use Sippdeal and very happy so far. I think they probably tick most of your boxes? www.sippdeal.co.uk
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    Mine is with Bestinvest and so far very happy. I'd suggest you try out the websites of shortlisted contenders and see what you think, assess their fund research tools, how easy to find what you want, etc
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would start by deciding what funds etc I want to invest in. Then make a decision on the platform.

E.g. if you go for the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds, I believe you have a limited choice of platforms.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    HL is not the cheapest, but do have good customer support and website.

cavendish may well be the cheapest (for relatively small amounts in funds), but it's a no-frills service (apparently - i haven't used them myself).

Agreed.

I have ISAs with both HL and Cavendish. HL does offer the premium service and an excellent website.

My main funds are with Cavendish due to the larger fund rebates and lack of platform fee for trackers. For smaller amounts or novice investors I'd recommend HL anytime as the site is so much easier to use.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure