Anti money laundering searches by Gambling websites

Options
Hi,

I have checked my credit report on the Noddle website recently and noticed that there are a few anti money laundering searches carried out by a few gambling websites I signed up for recently (to take advantage of free bet offers).

I was wondering if this harm your credit score of if I applied for credit I could be refused because these searches were on my credit report?

I think they are purely part of the gambling companies normal account opening procedures, but as I said above, I've opened a few recently and don't want this to adversely affect me.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I believe I'm right in saying that they won't be visible to other lenders. But the appearance of gambling sites on your credit card statements and the cash usage on your report could obviously cause you problems in the future.
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I believe I'm right in saying that they won't be visible to other lenders. But the appearance of gambling sites on your credit card statements and the cash usage on your report could obviously cause you problems in the future.

I doubt the OP will be using credit cards for gambling purposes, he certainly doesn't mention this. (I know it's the CC board, but I think it's more of a general 'credit' question).

At least, I hope I'm right! :)
  • nuttyp
    nuttyp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    Gambling establishments cant use credit cards within the shops, the only accessable way of using a card is to use a debit card. The card machines in the shops have no facilities to allow credit cards to be used.

AFAIK the websites are exactly the same.
    :D:D BSC member 137 :D:D

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gambling sites do accept credit card payments, I know Betfair certainly do.
  • jelajelavic
    Options
    Thanks, yes I certainly don't use credit card for gambling (I don't believe you can). Also, the cash is going into my account not out (net profits) fortunately and were not talking about large amounts anyway.

Yes it was more of a credit report and a future credit card application question as I didn't want to get an adverse score because I've opened some online accounts with a couple of gambling sites.
  • jelajelavic
    Options
    Paul_01 wrote: »
    Gambling sites do accept credit card payments, I know Betfair certainly do.

OK, I wasn't aware of that, but I don't use, or intend to use, my credit card for gambling
  • jelajelavic
    Options

I don't use my credit card for gambling, but would they be able to pick this up from my debit card and would that affect anything? I'm only talking about 1-2% of my monthly salary and currently making profits.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    The reason betting shops used not to take credit cards was that gambling debts were unenforceable in court.
    I think the law has now been changed.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    The reason betting shops used not to take credit cards was that gambling debts were unenforceable in court.
    I think the law has now been changed.

Correct. The Gambling Act 2005 made gambling debts enforeceable.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The debit card usage wouldn't show in terms of standard credit checks, but a mortgage lender may ask to see bank statements. That could potentially cause problems. Also, your bank would obviously see this info which may influence their view on future lending decisions.

If you were to use your credit card, it gets reported as cash usage, which is generally used as a higher risk indicator.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure