Can I travel after Bankruptcy?

Options
oliviaolivia12345
oliviaolivia12345 Posts: 80 Forumite
edited 31 December 2011 at 4:05PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
account no longer being used thanks to bullying from forum members.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I have never heard of that, and I have read a great deal officially and on forums.

Two extracts from: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidanceleaflets/guidetobankruptcy/guidetobankruptcy.htm
    6. What are your duties as a bankrupt?

When a bankruptcy order has been made, you must:

* comply with the Official Receiver’s request to provide information about your financial affairs. The Official Receiver may request that you attend at his or her office for an interview - the Court will give you the address of the Official Receiver. (Note: usually before the interview, you will be sent or given a questionnaire which you should fill in as fully and accurately as possible.) If the Official Receiver does not ask that you attend at the office for an interview, you will be sent a letter which will set out what is required of you. Again it is likely that you will be asked to complete a questionnaire. You should note that in either circumstance, any questionnaire completed before the bankruptcy order, supplied to you by an adviser or another third party, will not be acceptable;
    * give the Official Receiver a full list of your assets and details of what you owe and to whom (your creditors);
    * look after and then hand over your assets to the Official Receiver together with all your books, records, bank statements, insurance policies and other papers* relating to your property and financial affairs;
    * tell your trustee about assets and increases in income you obtain during your bankruptcy. (Note: by law you must inform your trustee of any property which becomes yours during the bankruptcy. Such property includes lump sum cash payments that you may receive, for example redundancy payments, property or money left in a will);
    l stop using your bank, building society, credit card and similar accounts straightaway;
    * not obtain credit of £500 or more from any person without first disclosing the fact that you are bankrupt;
    * not make payments direct to your creditors.

You may also have to go to court and explain why you are in debt. If you do not co-operate, you could be arrested.
    8. What are the restrictions on a bankrupt?

The following are criminal offences for an undischarged bankrupt:

* obtaining credit of £500 or more either alone or jointly with any another person without disclosing your bankruptcy. (Note: this is not just borrowing money - it includes your getting credit as a result of a statement or conduct which is designed to get credit, even though you have not made a specific agreement for it. For example, ordering goods without asking for credit and then failing to pay for them when they are delivered);
    * carrying on business (directly or indirectly) in a different name from that in which you were made bankrupt, without telling all those with whom you do business the name in which you were made bankrupt;
    * being concerned (directly or indirectly) in promoting, forming or managing a limited company, or acting as a company director, without the court’s permission, whether formally appointed as a director or not.

You may not hold certain public offices. You may not hold office as a trustee of a charity or a pension fund.

After the bankruptcy order, you may open a new bank or building society account but you should tell them you are bankrupt; they may impose conditions and limitations. You should ensure you do not obtain overdraft facilities without informing the bank that you are bankrupt, or write cheques which are likely to be dishonoured. Tell your trustee about any money that you have in the account which is more than you need for your reasonable living expenses. Your trustee can claim the surplus amounts to pay your creditors.

To find out more information please see the following publication:

* What will happen to my bank account

If you read through the whole document, then things will be a lot clearer.

I'm sure travel restrictions is just a rumour, unless you have been CRIMINAL.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    I have just heard that there might be restictions on travelling abroad if you are BR!!

Can anyone confirm this? or explain what these restrictions are? sounds a bit scary!

Hi olivia,

I'm certain there are no problems travelling within the E.U, I think the only problems that may occur are when you apply for a Visa to visit certain countries outside the E.U. There was a post sometime ago about obtaining a Visa to visit/stay in Australia being problematic for a bankrupt; whether this applies after discharge wasn't really mentioned. Your best bet is to contact the embassies of countries that you may be interested in and see what they say.

Anything you find out would be worth posting on the Forum for future reference.

Richard
  • fermi
    Options
    Richard_S wrote: »
    I'm certain there are no problems travelling within the E.U, I think the only problems that may occur are when you apply for a Visa to visit certain countries. There was a post sometime ago about obtaining a Visa to visit/stay in Australia being problematic for a bankrupt. Your best bet is to contact the emassies of countries that you may be interested in and see what they say.

True. We will let you out, but you had better check about where you are going letting you in.
    As Richard says, this should only apply where a VISA is required, and I have not heard of one being refused solely on the grounds of being bankrupt.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• fermi
    Options
    After a quick check to satisfy my own curiosity (in case I want to go), I can't find any mention of a restriction on bankrupts for entry into the USA or Australia on their Embassy/immigration websites.

I didn't expect to find any (since it would be ridiculous), but it is reassuring anyway. :)

• Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    After a quick check to satisfy my own curiosity (in case I want to go), I can't find any mention of a restriction on bankrupts for entry into the USA or Australia on their Embassy/immigration websites.

I didn't expect to find any (since it would be ridiculous), but it is reassuring anyway. :)

Well researched fermi,

We'll have to remember where this thread goes because it's a question that does get asked quite often.

Rich
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Mike_St_Helens Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Again I want to say... B has NO NO NO effect on travveling AT ALL.

Please please trust me.

Mikey X
  • BrandNewDay
    BrandNewDay Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of the rumours you'll hear are propogated by the debt consolidation sharks who are trying to scare already frightened people into signing on for their services.
    :beer:
  • Toad
    Toad Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    If one has gone BR and is then planning travelling abroad, unless you'd paid for this in advance or it's work, surely if you had the money to go travelling, the OR's office would want to know about it?

Got my OR interview on Thursday! :s

T
  • fermi
    Options
    Toad wrote: »
    If one has gone BR and is then planning travelling abroad, unless you'd paid for this in advance or it's work, surely if you had the money to go travelling, the OR's office would want to know about it?

Got my OR interview on Thursday! :s

T

If you have an IPA/IPO to take a portion of your surplus income, the maximum percentage this will be is 70%.

What you spend the other 30% on is up to you. If this is saving for a holiday/travelling, then that is your choice.

Good luck for the interview BTW. :)

• NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    If you have an IPA/IPO to take a portion of your surplus income, the maximum percentage this will be is 70%.

What you spend the other 30% on is up to you. If this is saving for a holiday/travelling, then that is your choice.

Good luck for the interview BTW. :)

Although, of course, you *are* allowed an allowance of up to £40 as a single person towards a modest holiday. Spend the 30% on something else! :p
    BCSC Member 70:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport