We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Things to look out for when hiring a gardener

Options
I am looking to hire a local gardener to maintain my garden and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with using gardeners that they might like to share?

Any advice on things I should look out for would definitely come in handy before I start getting quotes.

Also, I'm sure what would be classed as a reasonable rate. I would like someone to visit for probably 1 hour a week as my garden isn't overly large. How do gardeners charge? Is it an hourly rate or some form of fixed price contract?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Stephen

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2013 at 12:58PM
    Options
    I've got my slippers on and waiting for this one to kick off re rates of pay, pro gardener or OAP etc etc. (rubs hands in anticipation):D:D:D

1st genuine tip.

Watch where he feels he can safely call his toilet, seriously.
    There's always the debate as to whether to allow access to an inside toilet, therefore to the house.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    For 1 hour a week, they'll be queueing up!
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    A professional wouldn't do it for less than £10 an hour, and a 2 hr. fortnightly visit is usual. Expect him to take away all the rubbish unless you have a compost heap.He might have his own wheelbarrow or not. Very useful.
    Getting his van OFF the road and near the garden is important so as not to keep locking and unlocking.
    A cup of tea would help AFTER the job is done and when he comes in to be paid.
    I did it for nearly twenty years as a second career, and did four gardens a day and catch up on a Saturday.
    Don't know how I would have made a living with last years weather. The job is a bit like window cleaners, best for all the jobs to be in the same street or area, so maybe you already have a resident gardener.
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    If you said 4 hrs per fortnight you might get a better response.;)

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • sobie
    sobie Posts: 356 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2013 at 7:07PM
    Options
    I own a garden centre so I have both landscapers & their clients as my customers so heres a few checkpoints:

1) make sure they know about plants, lots don't, and can end up ripping up your prized plants. or pruning at the wrong time.

2) check references. ask a neighbour who they use and if they are happy or not.

3) make sure they've got the relevant equipment and insurance. (never let them use your equipment, they should minimum have a decent lawn-mower, strimmer, spade, fork, hand tools, wheelbarrow etc.)

4) if you intend them to do any spraying or tree surgury check they're qualified.

5) If they take your waste away they must have a licence to carry waste.

6) you'll pay more for one-off jobs than if you go on their circulation.

Expect to pay from £12 - £20 per hour depending on the job and their qualifications.
  • cyclonebri1
    edited 30 January 2013 at 10:06AM
    Options
    sobie wrote: »
    I own a garden centre so I have both landscapers & their clients as my customers so heres a few checkpoints:

1) make sure they know about plants, lots don't, and can end up ripping up your prized plants. or pruning at the wrong time.

2) check references. ask a neighbour who they use and if they are happy or not.

3) make sure they've got the relevant equipment and insurance. (never let them use your equipment, they should minimum have a decent lawn-mower, strimmer, spade, fork, hand tools, wheelbarrow etc.)

4) if you intend them to do any spraying or tree surgury check they're qualified.

5) If they take your waste away they must have a licence to carry waste.

6) you'll pay more for one-off jobs than if you go on their circulation.

Expect to pay from £12 - £20 per hour depending on the job and their qualifications.

£20 per hour :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:oh dear oh dear oh deer, and I do mean dear dear.

The head gardener at Chatsworth won't get that.

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 29 January 2013 at 10:02PM
    Options
    I doubt you would find a gardener who would wrk such few hours. An odd job, type or semi-retired person is usually more prepared to take on infrequent work. Also 2hrs a fortnight would be more productive than 1hr a week. Expect to pay £10/hr.

Having horticultural knowledge is helpful, but not necessary for the type of work you want. Most employers just state at the start what needs doing and what stuff to leave, the gardener does as told
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    A working gardener would be self employed. He would know what to do. The same on every garden. Mow, edge, hoe, weedkill, bug kill, plant , dig up, prune at the right time and so on. The variables are access, distance from base, and the customer etc.
    Little point in travelling half an hour to a garden then half an hour back, lost time.
    When I did gardening I had a waiting list.
  • sobie
    sobie Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    £20 per hour :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:oh dear oh dear oh deer, and I do mean dear dear.

May I ask why you say that? what is your experience? Do you live in the same area as me?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure