New Post Advanced Search

Lapland compensation

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flight Delay Compensation
10 replies 1.7K views
MrsVFMrsVF Forumite
7 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flight Delay Compensation
Went on a day trip to Lapland on December 2nd. There was a plane fault! Sent a letter of complaint and have received a voucher for £1396. I know this is good but The voucher expires in January 2014. For our summer holiday we wanted to book Sicily but Thomas cook don't currently book there! Therefore, the voucher is useless.

Can anyone help with how I should deal with this etc and if I am entitled to a cash refund.

Thanks

Replies

• edited 28 January 2013 at 4:36PM
    McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 January 2013 at 4:36PM
    I wouldnt think that you have any right to a cash refund now since you have actually accepted the voucher.

It isnt useless, you do have the choice to use it, just change your holiday to somewhere that the voucher covers.

Or do the Lapland one again just before it runs out and Book and pay for your holiday to Sicicily as you would normally do during the summer.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • MrsVF wrote: »
    Went on a day trip to Lapland on December 2nd. There was a plane fault! Sent a letter of complaint and have received a voucher for £1396. I know this is good but The voucher expires in January 2014. For our summer holiday we wanted to book Sicily but Thomas cook don't currently book there! Therefore, the voucher is useless.

Can anyone help with how I should deal with this etc and if I am entitled to a cash refund.

Thanks

Ignore the advice from the previous poster. If your flight was delayed more than 3 hours or cancelled altogether you are entitled to cash compensation per passenger.

Let us have the flight details, from, to, timings dates etc and we can provide further assistance.

Did the airline ever admit in writing what the reason for the delay or cancellation was?
  • MrsVFMrsVF Forumite
    7 posts
    Hi,
    thanks McNeff for reply. Thought it would be easier to send:

flight TCX9493 on Saturday 22nd December 2012 from Kitilla airport to London Gatwick with the scheduled departure time of 2030 local time (1830 GMT). This flight arrived 24hours and 28minutes late at 23rd December 2012) at Gatwick airport.

There was 4 of us travelling travelling (2 adults and 2 children).

Thanks so much for your help. I know it seems ungrateful complaining about the voucher but its useless to me!

Thanks
  • MrsVF wrote: »
    Hi,
    thanks McNeff for reply. Thought it would be easier to send:

flight TCX9493 on Saturday 22nd December 2012 from Kitilla airport to London Gatwick with the scheduled departure time of 2030 local time (1830 GMT). This flight arrived 24hours and 28minutes late at 23rd December 2012) at Gatwick airport.

There was 4 of us travelling travelling (2 adults and 2 children).

Thanks so much for your help. I know it seems ungrateful complaining about the voucher but its useless to me!

Thanks

You are entitled to 400 euros each (1600 euros total) or £326 per person for the delay you experienced.

You should write to the airline using the following template but with your own flight details inserted:

Delayed Flight Compensation
    Flight number: (insert here)
    Date: (insert here)
    Booking Ref: (insert here)
    Passenger names: (insert here)
    Amount claimed: 400 euros per passenger (1600 euros total)

I am writing to you to lodge my claim for delayed flight compensation. Our flight (detailed above) was delayed leaving xxxx and we arrived in xxxx some xx hours after the scheduled arrival time.

I am aware that judgement has been handed down in the current ECJ case (C-629/10) on October 23rd 2012, and I wish to proceed with my claim.

We were informed that the flight was delayed [overnight due to 'technical difficulties with the aircraft.'] Since technical problems have been ruled by the ECJ to be unlikely to be held as a valid defence of extraordinary circumstances to a compensation claim, then should you be claiming any such defence I should be grateful if such details could be provided to me within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Should you neither settle my claim in full nor provide a full defence to my claim within the above timescale, I reserve the right to issue legal proceedings without giving you further notice in writing.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

xxxxx

Send this quoting your flight reservation number to Thomas Cook:

The Company Secretary
    Thomas Cook Airlines Limited
    The Thomas Cook Business Park
    Coningsby Road
    Peterborough
    PE3 8SB
  • edited 28 January 2013 at 9:26PM
    McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 January 2013 at 9:26PM
    Hope everything goes as you wish it MrsVF. and no, I dont think its ungrateful of you at all.
    Will you let us know how you get on please.

I saw no reason to be so rude from the other poster.
    'Ignore the previous poster' I found to be a tad rude and ignorant.

'I believe McKneff may be wrong so try the following'
    would have been a lot more appropriate.

Good luck.
    Annie
  • Ich_2Ich_2 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    You are entitled to 400 euros each (1600 euros total) or £326 per person for the delay you experienced.

Seems to me the amount of the voucher pretty much matches the compensation they OP is entitled to, so I doubt writing to the airline will change things especially as they have accepted a voucher for the correct amount

£326 x 4 = £1304, OP has a voucher for £1396
  • McKneff wrote: »
    'Ignore the previous poster' I found to be a tad rude and ignorant.

'I believe McKneff may be wrong so try the following'
    would have been a lot more appropriate.

Annie

If you had quoted what I wrote in full it would have been a lot more appropriate...

I believe McKneff is incorrect in the advice given might have been better.
  • ICh wrote: »
    Seems to me the amount of the voucher pretty much matches the compensation they OP is entitled to, so I doubt writing to the airline will change things especially as they have accepted a voucher for the correct amount

£326 x 4 = £1304, OP has a voucher for £1396

Which the OP has already stated in post 1 is of no use to them...

The OP is under no compulsion to accept the voucher tendered by the airline and can demand cash compensation under 261/2004 and the Sturgeon ECJ ruling.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Annie

If you had quoted what I wrote in full it would have been a lot more appropriate...

I believe McKneff is incorrect in the advice given might have been better.[/QUOTE]

I quoted what you said ' Ignore the previous poster'

Nothing inappropraite there.

The bold print would have just been a little nicer, that's all.

Quoting your whole post wouldnt have made an iota of difference.
  • Mark2sparkMark2spark Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    How has the poster MrsVF 'accepted' the voucher if she hasn't used it?

Return it and ask for the cash that you are entitled to IMO.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support