Caller ID

in Phones & TV
14 replies 1.6K views
Hi.

Just a quick question about caller id on a home phone. I presume this works in the same way as a mobile phone where you can either see the number calling you (or name you inputted for that number) or something like 'call' (if the person calling you has blocked their number)?

If this is the case do i have to have some kind of special phone? And if so will a call provider who i take caller id out with provide this or will i have to buy my own.

Thanks.
Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.

Replies

• ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should just need a phone with a display. On BT, I get WITHELD or INTERNAT if it's a scamming !!!!!! calling (they get left for the answer machine), name if I have them set up in my dialling list, or the number if not.
  • InfidelInfidel Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Oh right. Do you know if it's possible to block numbers on any of these services?
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if you're prepared to pay for it. When the phone rings, I normally glance at the display - if it has a name I answer, if not... machine!
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    You should just need a phone with a display. On BT, I get WITHELD or INTERNAT if it's a scamming !!!!!! calling (they get left for the answer machine), name if I have them set up in my dialling list, or the number if not.
    But, of course, that may result in you not answering a friend who's sensibly using 1899, 18185 or 18866 for a peak call (calls via those cheap providers frequently display 'International' because they are routed out of the UK and back in again).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or a friend who's sensibly having his ID withheld automatically (I don't want every salesman I've ever phoned with a speculative enquiry putting my number in his book!).
    1.2K Posts
    Heinz wrote: »
    But, of course, that may result in you not answering a friend who's sensibly using 1899, 18185 or 18866 for a peak call (calls via those cheap providers frequently display 'International' because they are routed out of the UK and back in again).

Mmmmm. I also thing places like hospitals etc. have the withhold number built in, so it's not ideal is it.
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but all of the above would leave a message... like they do when I'm out.
  • malamutemalamute Forumite
    710 Posts
    I'm with the NHS and when withheld number is rejected (Anonymous Call Rejection) we redial to allow number to be shown.
    1.2K Posts
    malamute wrote: »
    I'm with the NHS and when withheld number is rejected (Anonymous Call Rejection) we redial to allow number to be shown.

Sure, but what happens if it just caller id, the NHS call will just show up as 'call' or whatever - essentially the same display as when one of the annoying sales reps/automated dialler system calls you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides