My baby went to sleep

Options
Having a bad day today - my baby Mia went to sleep for the last time on Monday night - she had kidney disease that escalated over the weekend, her kidney had swelled and was pressing on her nerves to her legs, so was struggling to move one of her legs.

The vet showed us how much pain she was in, I could touch her and she didnt flinch, he touched her and she cried so much - he said she was being brave for us and masking it.

For the past few months she has been on tramadol and we have had to virtually force feed her, so I know we made the right decision, but I now feel guilty as when I said yes now!! she was rummaging through his bin and was pulling everything out!!! should I have waited longer.

Our vets are lovely and he texted us Mon night so say he was sorry and were we ok.

The house feels so empty and flat and my other husky looks so lost.

Run free little big baby girl xxxxx

Comments

• RevolvingDoor
    Options
    I'm so sorry, it's such a hard decision to have to make.x
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    I'm so sorry, lots of love to you all. I wish I knew what to say - there's tears on my keyboard.

It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog and I will become as generous and loving as they are.

*hugs* run free at Rainbow Bridge, little Mia.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Purleygirl
    Options
    So sorry for you, our beautiful collie was put down in August and it was a heartbreaking decision. Don't feel guilty, she was suffering and you are a responsible owner. When I think of our collie, I remember what a happy dog she was, how she loved her walks and how loyal and loving she was. I expect your other dog will stop missing her after a while and that you will think of the good and happy time and how loved she was.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 January 2013 at 3:01PM
    Options
    I had the same feelings when I had my Betsy Boo PTS. She was 14 and her legs were going. We took her to the vets knowing what was going to be said and I felt like Judas!

You will feel like this for a while but you will find it easier. She was in pain you did the kindest thing for her you really really did. They often rally round for a little at the end but they will soon be back to being in pain.

As you can see from my Avatar I have a husky too. I also have a mal. They are such smart dogs and pick up on emotions in the most amazing way and are so so loyal. So I really believe your vet when he said that she was being brave for you.

You have done the best thing for her and it is a really test for an owner to make that decision but it shows that you were as loyal to her as she was too you.

When I lost Boo someone sent me this and I thought I would share it with you

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    Author unknown...
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    No you did the right thing. If she had gone home, then you would be beating yourself up that you had prolonged her suffering. It's such a tough decision to make, but you have tried to make her comfortable and possibly more on a subconscious than conscious level, yoou have realised that this was the best thing to do.

Take care
    bugslet
  • tenke
    tenke Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to say sorry for your loss and that I hope your little angel is resting in peace after so much suffering ..:(

Remember all dogs go to Heaven, because unlike human beings, they dont know the meaning of malice, cruelty and indifference, they are the purest form of love that I can think of..
  • Scrapaholic
    Options
    I felt guilty when we had our cat pts 2 weeks ago . It's a horrible feeling and such an upsetting time when you lose your pet . I know it was the right thing to do even though it hurt so much . We had to think of our pet and how he felt. You did the right thing and I hope you will remember the happy times without too many tears .Best wishes .
  • huskypup
    huskypup Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone, it is so hard, she had been ill for a few months - and I know in my head we made the right decision, but my heart is torn.

We did what we had to do for her, and had to put our feelings aside.

Now we must do what we can for Lucca, he just looks so sad, the thing I am finding hard, is she was the cuddly one, where as Lucca is the more aloof one he is happy with a stroke as you walk past, he doesnt like cuddles on the sofa, though he was enjoying the cat washing him when I went home at lunchtime.

Hopefully he will be ok in a day or so - as will we I am sure.
  • The_Hurricane
    Options
    They really are part of the family, I'm very sorry for the OP's difficult time.
  • Sharon140
    Options
    I am so sorry, its heartbreaking to lose a pet. Its been 3 months since we had to do the same to our girl and although I can get through a day now without crying or awful feelings of guilt she is missed as much today as the day she passed :( I don't think you ever get over it but time helps you cope a little bit better with the pain of their loss.

Hugs to you and just to pass on what we were told to help our surviving dog get over the loss, show them plenty of love and attention and plenty of walks. It took a couple of weeks but she got there :kisses3:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure