edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flight Delay Compensation
1 reply 1.4K views
Gareth_KGareth_K Forumite
1 posts
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flight Delay Compensation
Hi all,

We recently travelled to Australia for our honeymoon, with Emirates through Dubai.

We chose Emirates after a lot of searching as you could set off on a Saturday and arrive into Sydney late Sunday night rather than early Monday morning as with other operators. We saw this as a massive advantage at the start of the holiday as we could arrive, crash at the hotel and hopefully be somewhat fresher the next morning, instead of arriving at 5am and not being able to check into a hotel until the afternoon so wandering about like zombies for hours. Emirates were NOT the cheapest option.

We we informed 4 days before travelling that 'there has unfortunately been a schedule change on your flight sector from Dubai to Sydney', and we had been moved onto the next available flight, which (With a further 1 hour delay to the new flight!) was over 10 hours later than planned.

On returning I made a claim for compensation which Emirates have refused ouright as the cancelled flight did not take off / land inside the EU, even though our 'journey' did (Heathrow).

I was somewhat annoyed by the response, and it would definitely put me off booking with Emirates again. I had not realised that by connecting through Dubai we had lost the protection afforded to all the other options we looked at. That said I accepted their response as it seemed like a loophole I'm sure they are very experienced in using.

I have just read the flight delays compensation article on here which states:

'What matters is when you arrive at the final destination on your ticket. So if you book a London to Las Vegas flight via New York, where both legs are on the same ticket, what counts is when you get to Las Vegas.'

We booked LHR-SYD on a single booking where the intention was to only spend 1h15m in Dubai airside waiting for the connection. Does anyone know where the information in the article quoted above came from and does it mean that I should have a claim on Emirates for the delay?

Thanks in advance!

Gareth

Replies

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support