What phone to upgrade to?

joeblack066
joeblack066 Posts: 1,757 Forumite
Although I have debts that I am addressing, and have cut back a lot to free up money to service the debts, I have decided to keep my contract mobile as I use it a lot and work in residential care, sleeping over 2/3 nights a week, and I have a 17 yr old that stays at home on his own and a 10 yr old that is on shared residency and at her Dad's when I sleep in. I use my minutes and texts and it is a vital form of communication for me, and redudes my worry/ stress levels! SO, at present I have a Nokia 6230i, which I can upgrade next month. I can get any phone for free except the new Nokia N95, so am trying to decide which phone to get. I want MP3, preferably radio, and definitely a half decent camera. Also, when at work, my phone is shoved in my back jeans pocket, so it needs to be fairly robust! I am taken with the Sony Erricson w880i, but feel it may break in my pocket? Does anyone have any good recommendations as to phones I could choose? Thx!!

Comments

• emma396
    emma396 Posts: 760 Forumite
    i'm currently looking at new phones myself. i'm kinda torn between nokia n95 and sony ericcson k800i. seeing as nokia n95 is not free, i think i'd go for the sony k800i. it has a decent camera and mp3 /radio. i've only seen it once or twice and think it looks quite robust.
  • si1965
    si1965 Posts: 121 Forumite
    I have just got a K800i, it is not the lightest and smallest phone, but it feels very robust.

The camera is very good too.
    Hark at you going all strict :D
  • joeblack066
    Hi and thanks to you both. Si, does it have a radio, andis the memory ok? Thanks!
  • si1965
    si1965 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Hi and thanks to you both. Si, does it have a radio, andis the memory ok? Thanks!

yes it does have a radio

Internal memory is 64MB, you can buy memory cards which I would recommend. A 1 Gb card costs about £20.
    Hark at you going all strict :D
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Although I have debts that I am addressing, and have cut back a lot to free up money to service the debts, I have decided to keep my contract mobile as I use it a lot

I am taken with the Sony Erricson w880i, but feel it may break in my pocket? Does anyone have any good recommendations as to phones I could choose?

Just as a thought, you can often get extremely low line rental or money back from your provider if you sign up for a new contract period but decide not to take a new phone. If you don't need a new model, this may help you based on what you've said in the first sentence.
  • joeblack066
    Thanks Si and Nickmack! Will look into the idea of not having a new phone. If the provider doesn't do this, I can get £50 for my 6230i from envirophone, which I will pay straight off a debt!
  • Best to run the numbers both ways - a K800i would sell on Ebay (new, unused) for about £140 so make sure that's not better than a "no phone" renewal.
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    If you want an MP3 phone, look at W810i http://www.onecompare.com/buy-a-mobile-phone/best-mobile-phone-deals/sony%20ericsson/w810i.htm it has a radio, 2 mp and I believe it comes with a 512 Mb memory card. I am goona haggle for one of these in a fortnight, at exactly month 11 of my contract. I would go for W880i, but it would not be free.
    Hope this helps.
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i would go for the w810i or k800i. the only issue with the k8 is that the cam shutter can slide open and drain the battery
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure