The '101 days to change our lives' challenge

Options

Comments

• Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    [

Oh dear, all gone a it pear shaped....I'm having a bad period (is there such a thing as a good one?) and last night succumbed to the call of the chocolate monster...I was only a couple of hours away from bed & nearly had a choccy free day but it wasn't to be. And with my tummy feeling like it is this morning there's buckleys chance fo me doing Davina bl00dy McCall workouts.....:mad: I can sort fo forgive myself the workout failure as I really do feel rather rough but I am ashamed of eating chocolate & am trying again today for a choclate free day today. Davina will just have to wiat for later on in the week though.

As pennance for the choccy failure I can at least sort out the budget today!

Hope everyone else is having more success than me?[/QUOTE]

Its the hormones making you crave chocolate before/during a period. Try taking vitamin B6 regularly and it will help to reduce the craving. I think there is a medical reason for it but I can't remember what it is but it does work. BTW I used (too old now to have the problem) to take them every day not just the 10 days before the period as recommended on the bottle. BTW it helped with PMT as well.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sea78 wrote: »
    Seems like most are doing well, even with a few slipups!

Lillibet - not sure if you saw my earlier post - it was you wasn't it who referred to 'spud' in your sig? or am I going completely mad??!!

Well, starting healthy eating properly tomorrow, have got all my SW stuff out and am reading it. The gardening is going ok, although some things have not sprouted at all and I fear they have been drowned by an overzealous DD! Will have to keep watering them and get them into bigger pots soon.

Sea xxx

Yep, that's me with Spud, an original MSE baby, now 21 months old, starting to talk, climbing over EVERYTHING and yesterday we had a call to say that he has got a nursery place for 2 days a week from September...:eek:
    Ches wrote:
    Its the hormones making you crave chocolate before/during a period. Try taking vitamin B6 regularly and it will help to reduce the craving. I think there is a medical reason for it but I can't remember what it is but it does work. BTW I used (too old now to have the problem) to take them every day not just the 10 days before the period as recommended on the bottle. BTW it helped with PMT as well.

Thanks Ches, I already take evening primrose oil (otherwise I turn in to another kind of monster for 5 days:eek::rolleyes:) but will get some B6 too, anything to help keep me in control & the choccy monster in check!

I was good yesterday & had a choccy free day, although it was a real battle of wills in the end!:o

I forgot to cleanse last night, I was so shattered & had such tummy ache that I just fell into bed. I will do better tonight!
    The ebay cupboard is upto £10:D & has 14 watchers:D It ends tonight. Have got quite a few things lined up to list so think I might be putting more than one item a week on for a while:D Am still on track with the salad every other day & I am getting there with sorting out the budget, although it does still need more work:o

Hope everyone else is still on track?
    :wave:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've lost count of where I am in this challenge, because the first immediate challenge has come and gone. The first thing I was focussing on was cleaning up the house, and trying to do the garden, for my mum to stay. It didn't go too badly, but a few hiccups - the sofa, in spite of being sponged down and vacuumed, sparked off her dust allergy. And our tour round the garden was a complete disaster, I got lots of "oh dear, I am worried about you".... it really got my back up, which got her freaked out about not knowing what to say, which led to a huffy half hour between us. Still, it *was* only half an hour, and everything else went well. Now, I need to get the house back in order (lots of things were hidden away where she wouldn't see them, or simply cleared so that she could have space in the wardrobe and in a chest of drawers), and after that I can really push on with the goals.

Been wondering about this challenge and how everybody else is doing - its kind of amorphous, but each thing is really important to each of us, my goals certainly are to me. I'll check what day we are on the challenge and get going. Good luck everyone.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • notanothergreyhair
    Options
    Ches wrote: »
    I can sort fo forgive myself the workout failure as I really do feel rather rough but I am ashamed of eating chocolate & am trying again today for a choclate free day today. .

Just wanted to say that you should not feel ashamed about eating chocolate, doing so could make the make teeny weeny diversion from your target into an issue.

ust look at the words you wrote immediately afterwards 'am trying again today for a chocolate free day', this shows that you still have the fighting spirit in you and that you are trying very hard to change something, which is awesome.
    :p I'm the only gay in this forum :p
    *Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads*
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thought I better update on my goals not really alot to report yet

Lose weight I am currently 12 stone exactly would like to lose 2 stone
    still being quite good but stuck at 12 stone still

Get rid of clutter in everyroom in house for boot fair and ebay and a general tidy up and through clean can't remember when this was ever achieved maybe even join the flylady thread.

Take better care of myself including what I put in my body (this should help with weight loss as well) especially alcohol I am going to try to have at least 4 days free of it. Drink plenty of water in its place
    Doing this drinking alot more water have one of those 75cl bottles at my desk which I fill up at least 3 times, only had 1 bottle of wine over weekend nothing since.
    Do some sort of exercise I hate the Gym maybe running to start with will look for my pedometer out and may be did out that dreaded Davina tape out
    Did a few stomach exercises this morning definately a start although i only managed about 12

Keep to food budget and menu plans
    still doing this

Dont waste money unnecessary take only cash out
    (DD conned a new calculator for her sats, then a pair of shoes which she does actually need as we are off to a wedding in Canada in two weeks time)

Sort out all paperwork

Pay off Next account about £300

This has come as a brilliant time for me as I go on holiday 7 august
    good luck everyone

keep up the good work everyone a chocolate bar is not too bad is it?
    Frugal challenge 2024

• maythorn
    maythorn Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using the https://www.bodyforlife.com website, which is really useful if you want to tone up/lose weight/have more willpower. You can enrol and take up the challenge, or just use the various tools on the website ~ for free! This includes exercise schedules and charts, menus, recipes, and the achievements made by participants are incredible! I can honestly say that I have used the exercise regime, and in two weeks have noticed a significant difference. It also helps you to be a more motivated person in everday life, as well as just with exercise. Another great website, to help declutter, save money, be more liberated, is https://www.flylady.net. Flylady uses babysteps, dismisses perfectionism, and teaches you that you can do anything for just 15 minutes ~ and this website is free to use as well!
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    I took in my packed lunch and brought it home again. Today was manic and I just didn't stop for a drink or to eat.

It's not a difficult target is it? So why can't I manage it? I was thinking on the way home I don't have it 'built' in to the day. People just expect me to be there and I am. And if I'm not they find me, or bleep me..... but there's no hiding.
    Anyway I just got home and dinner is cooking so as I haven't had anything for 12 hours it must be good for the diet!:T

Will try harder tomorrow.:o
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    looby, I don't think it is good to not eat or drink all day - for one thing, you'll get dehydrated, which affects brain function and response time etc. For another, your body will go into starvation mode - i.e. you might end up stuffing yourself in the evening!

Don't want to rain on your parade, I know its good to feel you haven't eaten and its all coming off, but it might not be. Sorry!!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Swishter
    Swishter Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    looby-loo wrote: »
    OK so I took in a packed lunch, but it was SATS so I ran around all day trying to ensure the right kids were being looked after by the right people in the right places and ate my lunch on the way home!

So it's still day 101 for me.

I have made another for tomorrow and will start again tomorrow

I've already warned you once young lady! :naughty:

We can't sort our whole lives out in 101 days, its not possible, we need to take steps to improve things so we can make lasting changes over our lives. You are sabotaging yourself by every time you don't stick to the plan you reset the clock, thats a negative mindset and does not help you. I've not stuck to all my plans, but my final day is still the 8th August, stay like this and come the 8th you'll still have 101 days to go!

OK, so you've realised an area that you have a problem with, thats a start, you have made progress, its not failure it means that you need to find other ways round, grabbing a few moments for a cereal bar is not ideal but its progress and thats what its all about. Stay in an all or nothing mindset and you are failing before you've begun.

My goals are not fixed in the sense that I must lose 2 stone or whatever, its about moving towards a healthier happier lifestyle, making changes I can live with and that will set me up for life. If I sleep in tomorrow and have McDonalds for breakfast and lunch and get takeaway for tea then so what?? It does not mean i've failed the task and need to start over. It means I need to address those issues and can I keep bagels in the freezer and mini packs of philidelphia, have HM frozen meals or healthier and cheaper ready meals to hand for those days.

Your job sounds amazing and you should be so proud of yourself, there is no way I could do it, i'm not strong enough. But you need to find time for you too, and as I said a few moments with a cereal bar will help, maybe a proper breakfast and a proper meal in the evening and then a (very light) lunch will not be the end of the world. Maybe you can make smoothies with plenty of whole fruit and veg, you can swig them in class or when you are with a pupil threfore giving them your full attention but getting the nutrients your body needs. If the goal of sitting down and eating a proper lunch is not possible well then it just won't happen and you do yourself down by trying to force it, pretty much guaranteeing failure, you need to find other ways.
  • Swishter
    Swishter Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Thinking about it a bit more I think the whole all or nothing mindset got me fat, cluttered and into debt in the first place.

I'd already blown my budget so today was a write off, why not completely blow it, i've already failed, blow it all then I can start afresh tomorrow with it out of my system.

I runined my diet by eating that chocolate, why bother, I may as well get chips at lunchtime and a takeaway for tea. I'll just start again and be perfect tomorrow.

I can't clean, sterilise and re-decorate my living room today so i'll just leave everything on the floor, whats the point, i've failed today I'll do it tomorrow.

First thing I got the lift, so I may as well get the lift all day, I failed at taking the stairs all the time so why bother, tomorrow i'll start again.

We are not and will never be perfect, so lets all stop trying, slip ups are normal parts of our lives, we learn through mistakes and find routes to what we want. We need to forget trying to be perfect. Making the bed in the morning won't make my bedroom perfect and beautiful but its a step in the right direction, soon making my bed will be as routine as brushing my teeth, then I can start on moving the cup from my locker etc, etc, then that becomes routine and before long I have a beautiful, haven of a bedroom with no discernable effort at all.

I spent the last 7 years in the quest to be so totally perfect, so why am I in a worse state that I was when I started, because perfect is bloody impossible. I have to argue myself out of it all of the time, but accepting my failings and doing what I can is the only way to truly suceed.

Just a thought, Looby this is not a rant at you its a rant at myself. If anyone feels the same as me I hope it helps you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure