tenby

Options
nutty1
nutty1 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
i'm going to say at kiln park tenby beginning of july.if anyone lives there and could get me any money saving things like places to eat and attractions and such i would be very grateful and will to send postage. we are on a tight budget so anything would be grateful. is there a supermarket there and any cheap pub meals. and is the public transport ok.

Comments

• ellybelly89
    ellybelly89 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a holiday home in Tenby Town Walls but don't live there. Tenby is a gorgeous town and you will love your stay there!

There is a Somerfield Supermarket and a Londis just outside the town walls next to a multistorey car park (you get the parking money back if you spend money in Somerfield.) Both are quite expensive compared to say a normal supermarket but that is to be expected because you are in a popular tourist resort.

There is a tourist information centre next to Somerfield where there are loads of free maps and stuff and possible some discount vouchers. The staff have always been friendly whenever I've been in there. Also they can advise you on buses. There is a busy bus stop outside tourist centre but I've never used it so can't comment on reliability.
    There is a coach called the Puffin Bus I think which goes around Pembrokeshire which you can take bikes on and they do value tickets. Maybe google it to find out more.

The hotels and restaurants are all quite expensive for food. Avoid the Mews Bistro on Upper Frog Street like the plague! They are expensive and leave you for an hour with a loaf of bread and forget about your main meal. Everybody who I know who has been there have had a horrible experience.

Some of the pubs do offer good value meals especially for children and Sunday Dinners. I can't recall names at the moment though. The Britsih Legion also do excellent value meals just outside the 5 Arches.

Prices go up in July in most shops so be aware of that inflation.
    In town there are lots of independent shops which are lovely and a few chains, Woolworths, Peacocks, WhSMiths, Thorntons etc.
    I would highly recommend Equinox on Tudor Square its like an Aladdins cave. You will love it!

If you are going with children be careful Friday and Saturday nights in town because there are LOTS of very drunk stag and hen people about and it can be quite scary.

kiln park has a walk on to South beach which you can take a lovely walk down onto the beach and into town. It's about a mile along the beach. So you can save on the bus then.

Activities for children are Folly Farm (farm, zoo and funfair), Oakwood (themepark) Heatherton (activity centre such as paintball, golf, archery) and Ocean Commotion (OC is in Tenby and is an indoor multistorey soft play centre for under 12's)
    For Oakwood and Folly Farm I would recommend going by car because I don't think there are any regular buses to either. Also Oakwood is FULL of school children in July which isn't a pleasant experience. There is also a cinema in Tenby - £4 all seats. if it is raining they usually put screenings on in the day time too.

SOme websites for you :

http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/home/default.asp

http://www.folly-farm.co.uk/

http://www.heatherton.co.uk/

https://www.virtualtenby.co.uk

https://www.tenbyguide.com

If you'd like any more help just ask.

Ell
  • ellybelly89
    Options
    check out this thread for moneysaving for follyfarm

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=373601
  • consumermonkey
    Options
    Just to add, the cinema in town has recently put the price up to £5, but give you £1 off at the kiosk.

As far as I am aware there is a VERY basic bus service to Oakwood, Folly Farm and Heatherton. by basic I mean probably one bus there and one bus back each day. You are comming to a place where public transport is timetabled by the day, not the minute!!

If you have a car you have many more options open to you. Pembroke Dock, which is just behind the back of beyond does have Tesco, Asda, Lidl and Kwiksave. There is a bus service (about every hour).
    Carew Sunday market used to be cheap.

If you are looking for activity based stuff, this is always going to be overpriced, but if you want the beaches, scenery and wildlife (and I don't mean the stags and hens) you will have pleanty of moneyfree options.

Lydstep Garden Centre do offer free hot drinks.

All the beaches are lovely, try the ones to the west of Tenby, this is where a lot of the locals tend to go.

Hope you have fun. Just remember the cinema has not been decorated since 1946 (I kid you not) and they have a total of one screen and one film showing each week.

Back to the public transport, generally it is not great. generally the services run hourly or less frequently and is not particularly cheep IMHO. There is a train service, but if you want to use it to visit the north of our county, you will have to go all the way back to Carmarthenshire to catch the other train on the other line. There is a daily bus service to Carmarthen too (One there and one back each day)
  • ecsb
    ecsb Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    you will have a great time. i love tenby.
  • ellybelly89
    Options
    the cinema seats downstairs are dreadful and if your under 18 you will get shouted at if you go upstairs!

in the holidays they do tend to show two films 1 early evening for the little ones and a higher clasification film about 7.

if its raining they show kids films during the day.
  • ellybelly89
    Options
    I've never stayed at Kilnpark but I know there is a Burger King there. Don't know about prices but it's fast processed food. If you want something quick and easy.
  • consumermonkey
    consumermonkey Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    The cinema has got to win some kind of prize for the worlds worst.

A mate told me about a cinema in India which was just a room with a tv and some fold up chairs he visited in the 90's, and even he reckons Tenby cinema is worse. The "surround sound" system which is upstairs is a cheap dvd system intended for a living room. I kid you no one jot.

Thing is, there is nothing else around so if they are showing Spiderman 3 on Friday, I will be taking my cushion there.
  • sparkleworld
    sparkleworld Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tenby is FAB!
    We go about 2-3 times a year to kiln park but we go tenting!
    Its a much cheaper option but not much fun in the high winds.
    There is a free park and ride bus at kiln park you have to go through to the back of the seasonal tents field and it is usually quite regular about every 20mins and takes you right outside the town wall.
    Never had a problem wit it in all the time we've been going to kiln park. many many years.
    There is an onsite shop which isn't too badly priced for some stuff but we used to shop at the somerfield quite near to where the bus drops you off.

Kiln park itself - you'll either love it or hate it. I must admit it doesn't float my boat but it is a good base to stop. It has two aswimming pools 1 indoor and 1 outdoor but be warned you CANNOT take any photos around the pool area and if seen you will be asked to remove them.
    Quite a bit going on in the show bars n stuff but can get a bit expensive cos the kids always want to go to the arcade which you cant avoid going through! Went to Tenby 3 times last year and never once saw Rory the Lion (I think he's and endangered species!)

Folly farm I can highly recommend take a packed lunch and its works out a really cheap day out. I have a daughter who was 8 and a son who was 14 at the time and both ages were catered for! plus us old fogeys.

Tenby harbour usually has loads going on in the summer months too just look out for the billboards posted around to see whats on.

Hope this helps
    kind regards
    sparkleworld
  • sparkleworld
    sparkleworld Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The cinema has got to win some kind of prize for the worlds worst.

A mate told me about a cinema in India which was just a room with a tv and some fold up chairs he visited in the 90's, and even he reckons Tenby cinema is worse. The "surround sound" system which is upstairs is a cheap dvd system intended for a living room. I kid you no one jot.

Thing is, there is nothing else around so if they are showing Spiderman 3 on Friday, I will be taking my cushion there.

Try HEREFORD it's got a nightclub next door to it! :rotfl:
  • nutty1
    nutty1 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There is a free park and ride bus at kiln park you have to go through to the back of the seasonal tents field and it is usually quite regular about every 20mins and takes you right outside the town wall.

do you just get on the bus. do you not need a parking ticket or anything. and will it run beginning of july and what time till
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure