Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    Options

I'm beginning to think I should be just as careful how I spend my time as my money :think: :idea:

One of the best lines ever seen on here IMO. That's one of the things I've had to learn as we've got more financially stable - that sometimes my time is of as much value as making a small saving on something. So yes, I won't pay someone to do stuff I can easily and quickly do, but for things that take longer, or that I'm not good at (prepping and painting woodwork - prime example!) I will indeed pay a professional to do it for me.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I agree with both you Rosa and Essex on the being careful with your time issue.

As I approach DF I know some of the things I do use lots of time and I will do less of them because I will be able to afford not to have to do them. For example I know I will cut down on YS shopping. I will also buy in regular help in the garden :)

Also I am thinking carefully about what I want to do in future. So, I could have a fully paid qualification in the New Year. I've started to think about whether I REALLY want to do it. The time is not so much of an issue as whether I need the qualification, or whether I have the confidence to let it go and start pushing for what I really want to do. In writing this I have answered my question as I will not be doing the course. I will be planning for my dream future instead.

Thanks for posting on this rosa it helped me clarify an issue :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I agree with both you Rosa and Essex on the being careful with your time issue.

As I approach DF I know some of the things I do use lots of time and I will do less of them because I will be able to afford not to have to do them. For example I know I will cut down on YS shopping. I will also buy in regular help in the garden :)

Also I am thinking carefully about what I want to do in future. So, I could have a fully paid qualification in the New Year. I've started to think about whether I REALLY want to do it. The time is not so much of an issue as whether I need the qualification, or whether I have the confidence to let it go and start pushing for what I really want to do. In writing this I have answered my question as I will not be doing the course. I will be planning for my dream future instead.

Thanks for posting on this rosa it helped me clarify an issue :)

Thank you DIA - letting some things go in favour of the things I really want is a really good clarification for me too.

I clearly need reminders on this as even when I logged on to request my extension for the assignment (I gave up on it this morning and emailed them to explain I'm ill) I spotted another module they're doing next year and thought 'ooh that looks interesting and I could probably get it paid for'... then caught myself and remembered that unless it has a use in my real plans, it doesn't get any of my time.

I think some planning and goal setting is going to happen soon :D

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    One of the best lines ever seen on here IMO. That's one of the things I've had to learn as we've got more financially stable - that sometimes my time is of as much value as making a small saving on something. So yes, I won't pay someone to do stuff I can easily and quickly do, but for things that take longer, or that I'm not good at (prepping and painting woodwork - prime example!) I will indeed pay a professional to do it for me.

Thanks EH, that's really good to hear from someone further along in the process - perhaps it is something a lot of us need to learn.

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    unless it has a use in my real plans, it doesn't get any of my time.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! :T
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    So yes, I won't pay someone to do stuff I can easily and quickly do, but for things that take longer, or that I'm not good at (prepping and painting woodwork - prime example!) I will indeed pay a professional to do it for me.

Or indeed if it's something you really hate doing. The concept of Consumer Surplus shows that makes good economic sense if you're a rational consumer.
    As I approach DF I know some of the things I do use lots of time and I will do less of them because I will be able to afford not to have to do them. For example I know I will cut down on YS shopping.

Well YS shopping can be a good thing if you approach it properly. I find it encourages me to try foods I would never normally eat, but are chosen because they're cheap.

"Yum! Mango chutney filled Babybels! And so cheap!"

I am of course, never going to claim there are only hits and no misses... :rotfl:

:T
    Thank you DIA - letting some things go in favour of the things I really want is a really good clarification for me too.

I clearly need reminders on this as even when I logged on to request my extension for the assignment (I gave up on it this morning and emailed them to explain I'm ill) I spotted another module they're doing next year and thought 'ooh that looks interesting and I could probably get it paid for'... then caught myself and remembered that unless it has a use in my real plans, it doesn't get any of my time.

Qualifications are a tool, not a stamp collection.
    I think some planning and goal setting is going to happen soon :D

:T
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »

Well YS shopping can be a good thing if you approach it properly. I find it encourages me to try foods I would never normally eat, but are chosen because they're cheap.

"Yum! Mango chutney filled Babybels! And so cheap!"

I am of course, never going to claim there are only hits and no misses... :rotfl:
    I didn't make myself clear. I love YS shopping and I am rather good at it if I say so myself :) I love the creativity of it and I have written about it. My point is I use lots of time YS hunting and like Rosa has said, time matters. When I am DF I will still YS shop but I won't make as many 'special trips' my YS shopping will need to fit in where I happen to be. ;)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't make myself clear. I love YS shopping and I am rather good at it if I say so myself :) I love the creativity of it and I have written about it. My point is I use lots of time YS hunting and like Rosa has said, time matters. When I am DF I will still YS shop but I won't make as many 'special trips' my YS shopping will need to fit in where I happen to be. ;)

Ah, you take it far more seriously than I do. I just breeze past while doing "normal" shopping and use it as a lower-cost introduction to the wackier side of food.

And of course marvel that the supermarkets think that knocking 50p off will persuade people to buy a chunk of lamb that's half pink and half grey... :eek:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I just breeze past while doing "normal" shopping
    A far more sensible approach that I hope to emulate in future :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    If it would make you feel better if it were tidy, then tidy it. Then you can come up here and empty a few of my boxes... ;) :rotfl:

Tidying is happening slowly. Spending more time at home this week has helped.

Not volunteering for yours til I've thoroughly researched whether that is a Z euphemism

I feel I must jump in here and defend your cats. When your P60 comes, compare how much you've spent on NI, and how much you've spent on vet bills.

Hmm. Well the cats are rather thoughtless about their pension planning, so I'm not sure that's an entirely fair comparison.

If you're doing the career move for the money (and are bored with it already) - is that a career move you really want to do?

I should clarify that... the career move would be in my current day job field, which I have realised I do enjoy otherwise I couldn't have stuck it for so long, and the reason for it would be enabling me to make a geographical move without having to go back down the career ladder.

The extra contract is in my second field of work and has been useful in adding to my skills for both fields, but has also shown that although I still love the subject, I have no interest in working in this particular sector of it. I think I can make a plan to exit gracefully.

Make a plan (with milestones) - don't hope.

That's what I'm thinking :D

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills