New Post Advanced Search

refund entitlement?

edited 21 January 2013 at 11:55AM in Flight Delay Compensation
12 replies 2.1K views
simple_but_sweetsimple_but_sweet Forumite
182 posts
edited 21 January 2013 at 11:55AM in Flight Delay Compensation
hi all, just wanted a bit of advice.
flight scheduled this afternoon for 6.10pm, boarded plane at 8pm and informed at 9.30pm it was cancelled as the airline only had enough de-icer for half the plane(?!). Have rearranged to fly at a later date but paid £40 for weekend parking (fri 3.30pm to sun 9.30pm sun), when asked in airport they only gave an email address to contact supervisor and "see what happens".
Surely there is a refund entitlement here, or am I in the wrong?
Thanks in advance for any replies

Replies

• dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an EU entitlement to a fixed sum in compensation for denied boarding from the airline. They may claim extraordinary circumstances - possibly justifiably - and not pay

There's no refund entitlement from the car park company (unless provided for in the T&C) - nor separate entitlement to this from the airline
  • hi all, just wanted a bit of advice.
    flight booked this afternoon at 6.10pm, boarded plane at 8pm and informed at 9.30pm it was cancelled as the airline only had enough de-icer for half the plane(?!). Have rearranged to fly at a later date but paid £40 for weekend parking (fri 3.30pm to sun 9.30pm sun), when asked in airport they only gave an email address to contact supervisor and "see what happens".
    Surely there is a refund entitlement here, or am I in the wrong?
    Thanks in advance for any replies

Hi, if you have insurance you may be able to claim this through them?
    Happy :)
  • no, didn't have insurance. the parking doesn't seem to be a third party, it was booked with the airport directly.
  • stonemanstoneman Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    no, didn't have insurance. the parking doesn't seem to be a third party, it was booked with the airport directly.

You couldn't make it up
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stoneman wrote: »
    You couldn't make it up

don't understand what you mean?
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is there is no link between the parking owned by the airport and the airline. In fact due to the snow, you probably have no claim against the airline either, frankly I cannot understand anyone booking on Friday when you saw the state of the weather for the weekend but that was your choice. I have no idea which airline you were booked with, I had a BA flight due to leave Heathrow at 0700 on Saturday morning, booked months ago, it was cancelled on Friday, a quick phone call and a full refund was arranged for the flight and car also booked through BA.

The last time I was caught in your situation, I sat on the plane from 0630 to 0900 when the pilot indicated the delay could be another two hours and those of us that wanted could disembark . I did so, and the flight took off 33 minutes later, but when I got back to the car park (Heathrow) and explained to the man at reception why I was back 4 hours after parking, he let me out without charge. It is worth trying in your case but I just do not understand why you thought on Friday at 1810 there weren't going to be huge problems this weekend. I have another booking on Wednesday from Heathrow, I have already planned alternatives if the flight is cancelled and have held back booking any parking until I am certain there will be a flight.
  • maghatermaghater Forumite
    341 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    dzug1 wrote: »
    There's an EU entitlement to a fixed sum in compensation for denied boarding from the airline. They may claim extraordinary circumstances - possibly justifiably - and not pay

There's no refund entitlement from the car park company (unless provided for in the T&C) - nor separate entitlement to this from the airline

I cannot see how an airline should be able to claim extraordinary circumstances for this, its January, snow has been forecast for days now, so should have been prepared. Probably try to blame the airport, but someone has screwed up CAA will help
  • edited 21 January 2013 at 11:46AM
    Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January 2013 at 11:46AM
    maghater wrote: »
    I cannot see how an airline should be able to claim extraordinary circumstances for this, its January, snow has been forecast for days now, so should have been prepared. Probably try to blame the airport, but someone has screwed up CAA will help

It is often the airport or air traffic that stops the aircraft flying in weather such as this.
    How do you prepare a runway to stop getting snow on it an needing cleared? How do you prepare to ensure visibility in the air?

I am sure the airlines would much rather operate the flights, if the plane, pilot and crew are all there and ready to go, why should they have to pay out compensation if the runway is closed due to the weather?

It reminds me of a story I heard about a situation at Glasgow Airport (could be a myth)...when the airport was completely fogbound and flights delayed. A passenger was shouting at a male groundstaff member..."WHEN is the fog going to clear?"....the response was "Sir, my b***s are hairy not crystal"
  • edited 21 January 2013 at 11:54AM
    simple_but_sweetsimple_but_sweet Forumite
    182 posts
    edited 21 January 2013 at 11:54AM
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    frankly I cannot understand anyone booking on Friday when you saw the state of the weather for the weekend but that was your choice.

I booked the flight months ago in November, so I had no idea what the weather forecast would be. The flight was scheduled to leave at 6.10pm on friday.
  • Mark2sparkMark2spark Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I booked the flight months ago in November, so I had no idea what the weather forecast would be. The flight was scheduled to leave at 6.10pm on friday.

I see that you have now amended your OP, which now makes more sense, I initially thought that you had booked the flight at the airport on the same day of departure.
    The weather conditions mean that you are not entitled to anything.
    Zilch.
    De Nada.

So let it go ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support