BT disconnection charge

in Phones & TV
3 replies 3.9K views
MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
9.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
I am staying with my brother at the moment. They just got a BT bill with some wording in it saying that from 1 May 2007, BT is charging a £5 (IIRC) disconnection charge to every customer.

Now, I never agreed to this change in my supply contract with BT and I don't intend to agree with it. I'm actually about to bin off BT as my phone supplier.

Do others know about this change? I've not (personally) been notified of it and it's not very obviously referred to on BT's website.

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    got the feeling its now a standard charge for ALL disconnections, regardless of the supplier if they use LLU, although some may choose to swallow the charge looks like BT are passing it on
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • DrunkstarDrunkstar Forumite
    889 Posts
    They decided against that £5 a while back, it must be an older flier sent out by mistake. :)
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only a personal opinion but I think the reason BT were going to introduce such a charge was because of TT's refusal to take on customers unless they have an active BT line (TT have apparently even been paying the £18 'early termination fee' BT charged - which ceases on 1/5/07 - to get out of their 12 month initial contract).

In other words, TT have been feeding off BT's expenditure so they don't have to pay Openreach to do the work.

BT dropped that £5 charge in favour of simply holding new subscribers to their contract (i.e. stay 12 months or pay the full rental for the remainder of the contract if you want to leave earlier).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Christmas Deals Predictor 2021

The hottest deals & best times to buy

MSE Deals