We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

7 degrees upstairs

13

Comments

  • What medical qualifications that you hold ..and what assessment you have made of the OP ? Suggest OP speaks to her doctor about HER medical history /health.

    I did #13, three posts before yours - I precisely said """take advice from your GP - I don't know your general or your pulmonary health status."""

    I have acknowledged from my first post the whole dwelling is under-heated. I have acknowledged the bedroom is under-heated and precisely said in #9 """leave the landing storage alone and get a panel heater such as this, plug into a 13a socket in your bedroom and switch it on an hour before you go to bed""" It was also #9 where I precisely said """Get registered as a vulnerable person""" - this would give the O/P access to not only 'Warm Front' but many other privileged benefits and discounts. In #18 the O/P states the night storage heater in the landing is "hot all through the night", in which case why is the bedroom at @ 7°C ?. Or conversely if money is that short, move the landing storage into the bedroom, until money can be found to do the job properly.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Likestowrite
    Likestowrite Posts: 104 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2013 at 11:46AM
    In #18 the O/P states the night storage heater in the landing is "hot all through the night", in which case why is the bedroom at @ 7°C ?.

    The heater is hot when it's on and throwing out heat as well as storing it and bedroom goes up to 11 degrees when I run the storage heater for the full 15 hours cheap rate for several days, but even that isn't really warm enough according to that article (the article said health risks start at less than 20 degrees that 18C - recommended bedroom temperature
    16C - resistance to respiratory diseases weakened
    12C - more than two hours at this temperature raises blood pressure and increases heart attack and stroke risk
    5C - Significant risk of hypothermia

    I can see now that I need more heating as 11 degrees is dangerous even though I'm in good health. And I need to heat my water at night on the cheap tariff. Just couldn't see why, if I got more storage heaters I'd need to change to E7. Why 15 hours, all of them at the cheap rate, is not as good as 7 hours cheap rate on E7.

    Maybe the E7 has just the one meter and gives seperate daytime and night time readings? That whatever I use in the 7 hours in the night on E7 (washing machine, immersion --needs a PartL water system-- and panel heaters) would be at the cheap rate? Sorry to be so dense but this is all new to me--- but I think I'm beginning to understand.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    18C[/B] - recommended bedroom temperature
    16C - resistance to respiratory diseases weakened
    12C - more than two hours at this temperature raises blood pressure and increases heart attack and stroke risk
    5C - Significant risk of hypothermia

    Which article is recommending this - part of it is clearly !!!!!!!!.
    It seems to confuse air, and body temperature.
    If you are nice and toasty warm in bed - or indeed anywhere else - you're not getting hypothermia.

    An electric blanket, or adequate clothing can make you warm even in the coldest conditions.

    I note it's 8C in here, and I'm typing with gloves on, on an electric blanket, with two t-shirts, a shirt, a couple of sweatshirts on, and I'm quite warm.
    I am about to get out of bed in fact as I'm too hot.

    If addressing a 'normally' dressed person, sitting in a chair inactive - the above temperatures do not seem unreasonable.

    If you are able to take measures to keep your core temperature nice and piping hot - they seem at best questionable, at worst ridiculous in some cases.

    If your condition - mental or physical - means that you cannot properly dress in an appropriate manner, or work an electric blanket properly - the above temperatures I would agree with.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Given your position wouldn't you start thinking, should i look at downsizing to something that's easier to maintain.

    that was my first thought!

    unless the OP wants to stay where she is, the heating problem may not be a big problem now but in a few years it may become one.

    Instead of spending money fixing the heating, you could downsize to a really nice warm flat or small house, which would put money in the bank not take it out.

    but if you really want to stay, I would bit the bullet now and get Gas central heating, way easier to control, cheaper and gives you more options to shop around for the cheaper suppliers.

    You seems to be worrying about maintinance on gas heating, a service once a year costs less than £100 or you could sign up to a plan for repairs and service for so much a month, total piece of mind and a warm house, I think you are over thinking the costs of running GCH.
  • I would also downsize to a warmer property. I can't imagine living alone in such a property

    7 degrees :eek:
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would also downsize to a warmer property. I can't imagine living alone in such a property

    7 degrees :eek:

    didn't the OP mention a partner...sorry too lazy to reread all the posts, agree tho a big house for 1-2 people but she could throw great parties :D
  • The O/P 'Likestowrite' declared in #1 that """hot water bottles, a 15 tog quilt and woollen blankets I find I'm warm enough in bed, so haven't bothered switching the storage heater on. I switch on a cheap fan heater for 10 minutes when I'm getting dressed."""

    The BBC article may or may not be of empirical status, my point was that 'fed up and stressed ' use of it in this context was alarmist with a potential to create unnecessary worry & concern. The O/P as a result of her now deceased husbands preferences has more than adequately managed the dwelling for an undeclared number of years without incident. 'fed up and stressed' used the article totally out of context and without reading the thread and taking into account what the O/P had written.

    'fed up and stressed' then went on to use the article totally out of context and without reading the thread and taking into account what I had written. Which in #13 was :

    - sleeping in a bed @ 7°C is dangerous
    - not a warm bed in a 7°C bedroom

    I went on in #13 to say ;

    Unless you (1) have a serious heart condition and breathing in cold air causes [pulmonary mechanics] spasms in the lung and airways, making it harder to breathe, or (2) sleepwalk in a 7°C bedroom for an hour or more per night I see nothing other than alarming nonsense in that statement - take advice from your GP - I don't know your general or your pulmonary health status.

    ----

    Apologies to the group for the heavy duty use of the BOLD for 'fed up and stressed' who has brought nothing useful to the O/P's inquiring mind, or to the usefulness and practical input of others to help the O/P's dilemma and decision making process. But has merely introduced the burden of uncalled for worry to the process.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 6,382
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    This week my bedroom has been 6C on waking. Not once have I felt cold in bed due to using 2 duvets. My grandmother lived on her own in a detached house with no central heating, no insulation and single glazed windows until she was 90 years old. As other have said, sitting around at 7C isn't great but being tucked up in a warm bed is completely different.
  • Swipe wrote: »
    This week my bedroom has been 6C on waking. Not once have I felt cold in bed due to using 2 duvets. My grandmother lived on her own in a detached house with no central heating, no insulation and single glazed windows until she was 90 years old. As other have said, sitting around at 7C isn't great but being tucked up in a warm bed is completely different.

    - agreed sleeping in a bed @ 7°C is dangerous .. .. a warm bed in a 7°C bedroom is not dangerous
    - the best trick in the world, hardly ever mentioned is a duvet under the fitted sheet / valance as well as the one on top

    Try that .. .. and you will soon feel the evidence of the suggestion, and quickly change the 18 TOG on the bottom for a summer weight 4.5 TOG. Reducing the leached heat loss from the mattress and reflecting body heat back onto the spine is like crawling back into the warm womb .. .. try it !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 6,382
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I already sleep on top of a duvet. No more cold feeling bed since.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.