new meter fitted -not at zero?

Options
Hi, after being anti-meter for ten years I finally gave in and asked for a meter to be fitted. It was the rising difference of ratable pricing compared to metered that did it. Its just me in 3 bed house and my bill was £400 a year. With a meter I estimate £160. Anyway - I had a look at the meter after it was fitted (having not used any water) and it was reading almost 1 cubic metre already, ie 00000 and 9 twelves. A cubic metre sounds like an awful lot of water? - don't think I've used any. The price I'm payng is £1.47 per cubic metre + sewage charge.

Should I complain to Anglian Water or do you think I've read the meter wrongly? Is it common for meters to have not been zeroed or the installers run the supply a bit to prime/test it?

One other thing - I noticed that very occaisonally the little black thing in the middle of the meter spun around a bit but not enough to make the digits move. Again with no water being used in house at the time. I also spun the meter around a little so I could read it from the side of the shaft where I was kneeling. I take it its ok to do that? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    The meter will only ever be read in whole units of 1 cubic metre for billing purposes.

Meters are tested at the factory hence never read 0000 when delivered.

Water meter gauges rotate so that you can read them from any direction.

'Calm down dear, it's only a water meter'
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Yes the meters are designed to turn around so you can see them, sometimes they are not on 0 as they are tested in the factory and also when fitted, as mentioned above they are read in whole digits its 1000 litres for 1 unit so its only a few pennies on your reading.

If the black spindle is moving when no water is being used you may have a slight leak, this could be from a dripping tap or overflow for example, if the black dial is moving even slightly it will be moving all the gears inside the meter and will register eventually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure